Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to step on MINNSHIP8's thread, so I decided to start a fresh one.

In October, after a year of some degradation, my Ophthalmic Surgeon recommended that I have cataracts removed from both eyes. In that year, I noticed a lot of night-time halos, glare, fuzziness around trap targets, and what appeared to be lack of sharp colors. I'm 66 and blue eyed; my father had the same surgery when he was 66. My myopia was minimal, but I do have presbyopia, as do a lot of folks my age. I also have a fair amount of astigmatism (+4.0 in each eye).

We discussed a number of options, finally deciding on a toric implant made by Bausch & Lomb. This implant is a bit advanced, and more expensive than basic toric lenses (Crystalens Trulign). When we made the selection, he took my case to an independent surgical board, and they concurred with my selection in a blind evaluation. We also agreed that my non-dominant eye would continue to be about 1/2 diopter weaker than my dominant one. I opted to have better distance vision, requiring reading glasses.

I had my first operation on 11/13, followed by a second operation on 12/4. Procedures both times took about twenty minutes.

After each operation, and within eight hours, I noticed a drastic improvement in my vision. Subsequent eye exams have yielded results of 20/20 in my non-dominant eye, and 20/15 in my dominant eye. My reading at 14" is at 20/15; although that may change. The first indicator of improvement was that outlines of letters and numbers were tack sharp (but blurry because of the dilating drops). I was cleared to shoot the day after surgery.

The implants are amazing. For the first time in 50 years, I don't wear prescription glasses. Colors pop out, and my vision contrast is stunning. Front sights on my shotguns and pistols are now tack sharp, and targets are now clear orange, with no blur on the outline. I'm still having a bit of argument between the left eye which dilates normally, and my dominant right eye, which is dilated for one more week. However, I can tolerate that for one more week.

After the first eye was done, I was told to ditch my glasses, which I did. No going back to the old prescriptions.

I removed the inserts from my Ranger XLW glasses, and put plain lenses in all my Ray Ban sun and shooting glasses.

In the past ten years, I've averaged about $500/year on glasses, shooting glasses prescriptions, etc. That cost will be amortized in about 8 years.

I always took some things for granted, one of which was so-so vision. Ain't technology great?

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
12,479 Posts
Dennis, congradulations on your eye surgery. Yes tech. is great. I had both my eyes done in the last 4 years. Noticable difference especially in night driving. Bulge.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I decided to have it done when my left eye was like looking through waxed paper. I suddenly realized how totally screwed I would be if I poked the right one with a branch while prancing around in the woods.

My results were similar to yours but only 20/20 in my right (shooting) eye.

Since I was myopic for years at about 2.75, the difference was astounding.

Happy, Happy.

HM

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bernie, good luck.

Before you go, make a formal list of your expectations and concerns. The doctor will likely cover them anyway, but do it for your own peace of mind.

My doctor didn't do anything that we hadn't discussed in detail.

Don't hesitate to ask a question when it comes up, even if you haven't thought about it in advance.

You'll do just fine.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Don't be suprised if your vision changes as the eyes heal after the cataract surgery. My eye surgeon said I wouldn't need glasses again, my eyeglass dr said Oh yes you will. Initially I didn't need them but after a few mos. I ended up with some RX in the glasses.

The surgery itself is a piece of cake 'tho. 15min/eye no pain. I had them done a week apart last Apr.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It doesn't need to be redone. You can never get cataracts again because of the man made lens.

You may however develop a "false cataract" or need glasses in the future.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Copy and past this into your browser

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=304903

http://www.trapshooters2.com/noframes/cfpages/thread_archive.cfm?threadid=298744&Messages=23

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20249018

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am glad to read these good reports. I am having both eyes done in January and really looking forward to actually seeing a clear target again. I too am going with the toric lenses with good distance in both eyes and rely upon reading glasses for close up work.

Thanks for giving me a more positive attitude....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
About 20%, or so, of cataract patients develop a "secondary cataract" after surgery, months or even years afterward. I discussed this thoroughly with the surgeon.

The correction is done with a laser in the doctor's office.

The secondary cataract is not the same as the original cataract, which occurs in the lens. The secondary cataract occurs in the membrane around the eye; therefore, a second procedure isn't necessary.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
It is great surgery I had both eyes done and went to 20/20 in each eye within 24 hrs of the surgery. My fisrt eye went so well so fast that the second eye was done a week later. I still need reading glasses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too have had a wonderful experience with cataract surgery. My vision as a young man exceeded 20/15 well into my 30's. By age sixty seven, I was down to 20/40, which was really unacceptable, and tended to hinder my marksmanship efforts. Every time I had an eye exam, multiple optometrists told me my cataracts were not bad enough to take out. So, the last time I had an exam, I told the guy I couldn't see the last two lines on the chart even though I could. Result was an appointment with a nice doc that did first one eye, then about three weeks later the second one. New lenses make all the difference in the world. No more prescription glasses, but I do need readers for print most of the time. (I took the long range vision type lenses) That was four years ago this fall, and I couldn't be happier with the results. My trap scores increased, and even at 71 my vision is still terrific. Nick Chronis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts