Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have had cataract surgery .... how long did you have to wait till you could start shooting again?
Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just did my left eye today. Doctor told me I could shoot this Saturday! I had my right eye done two weeks ago (Tuesday) I shot on the next Sunday. Absolutely no problems!

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Three weeks for me as I was in the high risk catagory.

Reactions: skeeter88

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That's a question for your doctor. I had retina surgery done a couple of weeks before the cataract surgery. After the cataract surgery it was one week for me. No one knows your circumstances except you and your doctor.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was out of shooting for a month. Each eye done two weeks apart. At the end of that period I had a follow up exam and was good to go after that.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Before the surgery I was told a month. That is one of the reasons I delayed for so long. When I scheduled I was told three weeks. At the day after exam I was told everything looked perfect and I could shoot, but it would be better if I waited a week. Since I shoot Open, I thought that was a good idea.

Two weeks later with the other eye was the same. My only problem was the soap they use to disinfect and clean your eye during surgery clogs the tear ducts. For some reason mine were clogged more than most and the lack of tears literally changed the shape of my eyeballs. So my vision in each was 20/25. In my right eye it was closer to 20/30. After months of using eye drops it finally cleared. So now I'm back to normal at 20/15 and 20/20.

·
Registered
769 Posts
A shooter I know had the procedure, waited 3 weeks, shot 5 stand, got clay pigeon dust or some float back debris from the fired shell in the eye, got infected, had to have cornea transplant in that eye, now must wear glasses to see, so long story short ALWAYS wear good protective glasses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not to be rude, but wouldn't this be a better question for your doctor, who is familiar with your case, rather than at best personal experiences or lay opinions?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not to be rude, but wouldn't this be a better question for your doctor, who is familiar with your case, rather than at best personal experiences or lay opinions?
You're absolutely right. And no, you are not being rude.

I have been told that I will need to have the surgery sometime in the next 12 months. Just wanted to get a rough feel for how long it would take to get back to shooting. Hoping this feedback will help me schedule the procedure in the FALL or winter months.

I certainly will follow my doctor's orders ... just didn't know if the layoff after surgery was a month or several months. Based on the replies it sounds like two months for the surgeries (both eyes) then a month or so before getting back onto shooting. Sounds like a FALL or winter time will be best.

Thanks to all who have responded ...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts