Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Glock 21 in .45 ACP. I am set up to cast & size bullets and reload in this caliber. Now I read I should not use my cast lead bullets due to their "parabolic" rifling. Does anyone know specifically why not? Damage the rifling? Poor accuracy? Dangerous pressure build up?

The price on jacketed bullets has more than doubled in recent years. 5 or 6 years ago I was paying $10-12 for 100 230g FMJ in this caliber. Last weekend at Cabela's $25/100 was the least expensive I saw. My home cast are next to nothing as I came into a large supply of linotype, lead & solder.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
I've loaded straight wheel weight cast bullets in several Glocks with no problems. Check the barrel for leading regularly. Swaged soft lead bullets are the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take a look at Berry's Bullets or any other of same type, the 21 is not as bad in terms of leading with a hard lead bullet (lower pressure) but check it, the bullet skids on the first inch of the Glock type barrel and can build up lead and raise pressure.

DB

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
What griz said.

I bought Lone Wolf threaded barrels for mine. I think they averaged about $120 deliverered.

·
Thorn in your side
8,115 Posts
I have aftermarket barrels in both my 21's. Cheap easy upgrade.

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
I am not a glock guy but have owned several in trade and sold many of them at the shop. I sold an "older gentleman" a .45 glock, and he wanted a bunch of reloads. When I told him that cast reloads were not recommended, he straight out told me I was a dumb azz and that he forgot more about .45 than a pea brain store clerk like me will ever know. (what a way to win friends and influence people) Not long afterwards he was back with his glock that was jammed solid with the middle of the barrel opened up enough to break the slide tabs out of the frame.

I am sure limited amounts of cast bullets will not hurt a standard glock if you keep up with cleaning the barrel. If I was going to shoot a lot of cast bullets in a glock, I would get a conventionally broached barrel. We sold the Lone Wolf barrels at the store and never heard anything bad about them.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I believe it's not just a Glock issue. It has to do with the Polygonal rifling. Glock, HK, Kahr and maybe others use this type rifling as well. The aftermarket barrels such as the Lone Wolf I purchased for my Glocks, have conventional rifling.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
These days you can buy very high quality copper plated bullets for about the same price a cast,sized and lubed bullets and these copper plated bullets will eliminate the fouling problem. This is what I use in all my .45 acp guns for plinking and the various shooting matches that I participate in. Accuracy with the copper plated bullets is not quite what you can get with really good cast bullets but it isn't bad.

I have shot huge quantities of cast lead bullets in very smooth match grade .45 acp 1911 guns and they all left some fouling. The Glock with its polygonal barrel rifling is no more susceptible to the leading problem than conventional rifling but the problem was particularly bad with the 9mm glocks and the guys that believed you can just shoot the things real fast all day long and never ever clean them. Eventually these types of shooters were damaging or blowing up their pistols and expecting Glock to cover that under warrantee so Glock did the obvious thing and warned its customers not to use cast lead bullets.

In your .45 acp glock, the fouling problem with cast lead will be minimal compared to the typical 9mm Glocks and you probably would never have a problem if you were to clean your barrel after every 500 rounds or so. (I still would go with copper plated)

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I have fired several mags through mine with the factory barrel. Not 100's at a time though

Glock says NO to reloads as well.

I have several of the aftermarket barrels that typically reside in the slide.

I used to reload hard cast in the 1911 platform, But since getting some 21's
I switched to Berry's 230 RN double struck, That's all I use now in anything .45.

Chances are you could shoot your reloads no problem,
But you should be the one making that call.

Good Luck,
DGH

·
Registered
20 Posts
As I posted above (3) try Berry's or other of the same type, the powder you use, type of load (soft or heavy) can also give leading problems, in many cases the low load can be a problem in that regard. Shooting a plated bullet makes it a none event as long as you don't over crimp.

·
Sky Buster
4,163 Posts
I have shot plenty of lead bullets through my glocks and will continue to do so. Never a problem. Clean your barrel after range sessions and you should be fine.
Better Bullets
There are many recorded instances of Glock .40's and .45's blowing up. (Google Glock Ka-Boom)
It is believed that the problem is the unsupported chamber in these guns. Shooting lead bullets
compounds the problem. Many of the reloading manuals have a caution not to use their data
in guns with unsupported chambers. This was put in specifically because of the number of
Glock's letting go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
There are many recorded instances of Glock .40's and .45's blowing up. (Google Glock Ka-Boom)
It is believed that the problem is the unsupported chamber in these guns. Shooting lead bullets
compounds the problem. Many of the reloading manuals have a caution not to use their data
in guns with unsupported chambers. This was put in specifically because of the number of
Glock's letting go.
A Ka-boom is not common even with reloads, 40 S&W is the most chance at upper load levels. I have shot around 1/2 million rounds through Glocks with one 40 cal let go, most rounds shot from 9mm (G-17) and around 100k rounds from a G-21, just check the brass for signs of stress.

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I'd wager most of glocks customer base wouldn't know lead from lead if their life depended on it. Some people just should not shoot reloads, or reload at all for that matter. When you see all the trap shooters and their problems reloading, one can only imagine the horrors of what gets shot in these cheap handguns. What some will stuff in their >10,000.00 shotguns is scary enough.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts