Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a more sturdy option than a sleeve to bring my assembled KX-6 Special to and from the range. I would like to not use the OEM case on those short trips because now that the clubhouse is closed for the foreseeable future there is not really a good spot to assemble the gun. Also, the Muller choke I am using is too long for the OEM case and screwing it in and out every time is tedious. In my mind I envision a tube-like case (similar to cases for fishing poles or skis). I have not had much luck in my searches.

I would be happy to hear anyones experience with padded sleeves if they think that would work.

Thanks Ya'll
Brayton

·
Registered
265 Posts
Myself and a few friends have the Cabela's brand Extreme shotgun case. 57.5" long so it holds a 34" single barrel shotgun fine. A friend had a different cased gun fall off the back of a golf cart onto an asphalt parking lot while we were finishing up shooting sporting clays. His gun was in the Cabela's case and it didn't have any damage. All of us were very impressed.

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
There are plenty but I am not going to name any - I am going to describe what you need.

A soft case that has an opening at the end so you can slide the gun in and a fastening system to keep the flap closed.

THEN find one that has a full length zipper or velcro closure. This way if you ever put it away wet you can fully open the case and let it dry. Without this you have no way to dry it out should water get inside.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I use one of these for my sporting gun when we rent a cart, sense the rental carts don't generally come with purpose built gun racks.
It's 32" barrels and extended choke, there is a couple of inches to spare, to DuckNut's point they make a couple of zippered cases as well.
Wild Hare Shooting Gear - Wild Hare Gunslip - 54 Inch #WH-203D

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I have been happy with the Boyt below and the Cabela's Extreme listed above. Overall I like the Cabela's case better as it is roomier. Both have held up well.

upload_2020-8-12_16-36-37.png

·
Registered
32,245 Posts
Small car, small trunk.

I bought some nylon gun racks. Instead of metal racks that hang on the back window of a truck, these are two sleeved racks made of nylon. You snap the straps on one end together around the head rests of your car seats and they will hold 3 guns.

You can mount them on the head rests of the front seat and the guns hang on the rear of the front seats or what I do is hand the soft racks on the head rests of the rear seat the the sleeves and across the front of the rear seat. Using black gun socks and the soft racks being black against a black interior, the guns are almost invisible.

There is no protection in the event of a side impact from another car, but it is a chance I take. I can carry 3 guns, already assembled, pulled them from the socks and put them back when done or for safekeeping between events.

9572578C-3C5D-47E8-91FC-74741FEB2730.jpeg

As I mentioned, I installed in front of rear seat. Allows easier access. Black socks against black seats with tinted windows makes then invisible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I am still not sold on the soft case but getting closer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If 51.5 inches (full length..you get more room by angling your gun) will do the job, Plano has been in business for a very long time. Not fancy; not impressive, but pretty darn solid. Plano has many cases in various sizes; other styles may work better.

I found these same cases for 50% more but couldn't see any reason to buy it elsewhere. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Plano-Pr...-007-173e59a37c0534&athancid=null&athena=true

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I started using gun socks this year and they have proven to be effective. They're inexpensive and offer enough protection as long as I'm not tossing my shotgun into a pile in the back of a truck. I put the gun in the sock and place it on a trunk-blanket. I can wedge several guns in the trunk of a VW Passat and in the hatch of a Porsche Macan. It isn't elegant but I've been happy so far.

Before using the socks I checked with Illinois State Police and the socks are considered to be a case.

·
Sky Buster
4,166 Posts
I started using gun socks this year and they have proven to be effective. They're inexpensive and offer enough protection as long as I'm not tossing my shotgun into a pile in the back of a truck. I put the gun in the sock and place it on a trunk-blanket. I can wedge several guns in the trunk of a VW Passat and in the hatch of a Porsche Macan. It isn't elegant but I've been happy so far.

Before using the socks I checked with Illinois State Police and the socks are considered to be a case.[/Q

·
Sky Buster
4,166 Posts
Beretta makes a well padded soft case that fits a 34" single
with extended choke tube. I have two and am very satisfied.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Brayton,

At one time I was taking a lot of shotguns to the club for students and family members to use. I found an outfit in Wisconsin, I believe, that made a very nice soft case that holds 3 assembled guns. An assembled 34" SBT with a choke fits, as do various autos like 303s, 390s, and 302s. I think the name was like "Mansoor" or "Masor". Each compartment is thickly padded and the outside in a high quality fabric. Mine is green. Others may recall the name of the shop that sells them. My kids are grown and flown, and I don't do introduction sessions much anymore, but I like the triple case when I do load out for one of these events. I can look at home later is needed. Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As a quick update that kx-6 what the Mueller tube is a full 54-in. I've been finding a lot of nice looking 52-in cases which would probably work without the extended choke. Thanks again everyone

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Wasn't there a thread here about a year ago that mentioned a good soft case? Maybe something in the manufacturer's name about Mountain.

American Mountain Supply

Pat

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Brayton,

At one time I was taking a lot of shotguns to the club for students and family members to use. I found an outfit in Wisconsin, I believe, that made a very nice soft case that holds 3 assembled guns. An assembled 34" SBT with a choke fits, as do various autos like 303s, 390s, and 302s. I think the name was like "Mansoor" or "Masor". Each compartment is thickly padded and the outside in a high quality fabric. Mine is green. Others may recall the name of the shop that sells them. My kids are grown and flown, and I don't do introduction sessions much anymore, but I like the triple case when I do load out for one of these events. I can look at home later is needed. Good luck.

Mike
Monsoor's Sport Shop is located in La Crosse, Wisconsin.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts