Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
L to R: 20mm Mk 2, don't know, 8 ga., Kiln cleaning round, probably 10 ga., 10 ga. 2 7/8" field round, Gun club, .416 Barrett, and .300 WSM.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The eight gauge looks like one of the turned brass models sold by Rocky Mountain Cartridge. The kiln cleaning eight gauges have a belt on them to prevent them from being chambered in an eight gauge shotgun.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starting from left 20mm Oerlikon Mk 4 HE,950 JDJ, 50 bmg with 800 gr bore rider bullet, 3 ga shotshell, 8 ga kiln loaded for sporting shotgun, 8 ga kiln loaded for shotgun, 12 ga gun club, 416 Barrett loaded with Lehigh Defense bullet, 6.5x47 Lapua. Someone asked if I made any, Yes, I made 31 3 ga shells loaded with 5 oz shot 100 gr Blue Dot powder, and the tooling to reload the 8 ga shells. The 3 ga were made from 1 3/8” brass bar stock, this is for a 3 ga side by side hammerless shotgun with 1 meter long barrels and weights 27 lb 10 oz. soon the owner will shoot it and I will video him flying on his ass and post it.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The 3 ga shell.....5 oz shot and 100 gr Blue Dot, yup gonna be a bit of recoil there. I'd love to see that vid when he fires it.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
no punt intended...............

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don’t think it was built as a punt gun which are generally fixed to a punt boat, this one is more a sporting gun with engraving and nice checkering.
7A968BDB-CFD4-48DD-A58D-C2AD208157AF.jpeg

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Starting from left 20mm Oerlikon Mk 4 HE,950 JDJ, 50 bmg with 800 gr bore rider bullet, 3 ga shotshell, 8 ga kiln loaded for sporting shotgun, 8 ga kiln loaded for shotgun, 12 ga gun club, 416 Barrett loaded with Lehigh Defense bullet, 6.5x47 Lapua. Someone asked if I made any, Yes, I made 31 3 ga shells loaded with 5 oz shot 100 gr Blue Dot powder, and the tooling to reload the 8 ga shells. The 3 ga were made from 1 3/8” brass bar stock, this is for a 3 ga side by side hammerless shotgun with 1 meter long barrels and weights 27 lb 10 oz. soon the owner will shoot it and I will video him flying on his ass and post it.
Well, I was right on a couple. Nice Annie Oakley gun, TOOLMAKER 251!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Toolmaker. I have an eight gauge and the industrial hulls I have found have belts so they will not chamber. How did you address this? Did you turn off the rims or alter the chamber? On the left is a Remington and the belt is very apparent. On the right is a Winchester. The belt is hard to see in the photo because it has a rounded shoulder. In either event they will not chamber in an original eight gauge gun.

DSC_0002.jpeg

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toolmaker. I have an eight gauge and the industrial hulls I have found have belts so they will not chamber. How did you address this? Did you turn off the rims or alter the chamber? On the left is a Remington and the belt is very apparent. On the right is a Winchester. The belt is hard to see in the photo because it has a rounded shoulder. In either event they will not chamber in an original eight gauge gun.

View attachment 1674581
I made the tooling for the owner of these large shotguns and he has many including 4 gauge. He furnished me a few hundred new clear Winchester kiln 8 ga hulls. They are primed cases and I purchased a Lee 50 bmg loading press for him, then proceeded to make the tools. A new 8ga shell holder to fit the press ram, then a sizing die that removes the bulge in the kiln cases. Had loaded 40 gr of blue dot, then a 8 ga wad he furnished. The shot I believe was #5 shot 2 oz then a crimp starter die, a finish crimp plug that installs when the crimp starter is removed. Finally a taper crimp tool. They go fairly fast when loading them, but how many are shot anyhow. I watched him fire 1 test load out of a Parker with 36” barrels and it pushed him back some.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are Winchester Super X industrial 8 ga hulls, they have the bulge in the brass that gets sized out before proceeding.
EB00D372-DE48-4229-9AED-29CC81930CE0.jpeg

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks. I'm not sure that will work with the Remington hulls as the brass belt looks pretty solid. I may put one in a lathe and see if I can turn them down.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BFA692F7-0630-429E-8978-5A98AD4BD1F1.jpeg
1831EAEE-11F6-4F94-AED2-E42544C2C01B.jpeg
Pettifogger, I ran a Rem hull into my sizing die and it looks like the modification Rem uses to prevent sporting shotgun chambering is a swaged brass ring. You can see it split and started to peal off, Came off with a pair of pliers. If you can put them in a lathe grabbing onto the front of the brass then with a tool skim that band it will come right off. A 15/16” collet or chuck will hold it, after the band came off it went into the barrel chamber.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thanks for sharing.
Did you hand polish that 20mm? It looks gorgeous.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts