Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some (30 or so) cartridges marked 30-06 SPRG S&W. Is S&W Smith and Wesson, if so when did they make rifle bullets??

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I believe S&W started making ammo in the mid to late 1800's. I'm not sure if there is any in current production. Their first patent for ammunition was #12,648, April 3, 1855. I also do not know if the ammunition you stated is S&W ammo.

Matt

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Actually i was wrong on that patent. It was for their first bored-through revolver cylinders for metallic cartridge. I'm guessing the ammunition soon followed.

Ammunition types introduced by Smith & Wesson

.22 Short[10]

.32 S&W—sometimes called .32 Short[10]

.32 S&W Long—sometimes called .32 New Colt Police[10]

.32-44 S&W, defined as .32 Caliber (true .32 caliber measures .323", sole use in Model 3 Revolver to 1898.[11]

.38 S&W—sometimes called .38 Colt New Police and the 38/200 in England.[10]

.38-44 S&W There are two distinct loads with this designation. The first was intended for use in model 3 revolvers up to 1898. The second was a predecessor to the .357 Magnum. Using the latter load in a pre-1898 gun could cause serious injury.[11]

.38 S&W Special[10]

.357 S&W Magnum[10]

.40 S&W[10]

.41 Magnum—While Remington Arms developed the ammunition, Smith & Wesson made the first revolvers to chamber the cartridge.[10]

.44 S&W Special[10]

.44 Remington Magnum[10]

.45 S&W Schofield[10]

.460 S&W Magnum[12]

.500 S&W Magnum[12]

1867 was when their revolver and ammunition was introduced to the public.

Info from Wikipedia

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
In the 60s and 70s Smith and Wesson sold their headstamped brands of Handgun and Rifle ammo. IIRC the boxes were Blue and White.

--- Chip King ---

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Some was some was not rebranded.

Quoted from S&W archives

"In 1970 S&W and Fiocchi of Italy purchased Alcan Company Inc (maker of shotshells & components). They went by the company name Smith & Wesson-Fiocchi Inc.

In 1972 S&W (owned by Bangor-Punta), purchased Fiocchi's half of the interest and became Smith & Wesson Ammunition Company Inc.

In 1975 S&W announced that ammo production will be moved from their Alton, Illinois facility to Rock Creek, Ohio.

Shotshell production was stopped in 1975.

Rifle ammunition was made under contract by IVI of Canada and .22 rimfire was made in Mexico.

Handgun caliber cases were made by numerous companies over the years that S&W was making ammo, including: Olin, Federal, Amron Inc. of Waukesha, WI., and IVI and C.I.L. of Canada."

--- Chip King ---

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
The later stuff was manufactured by IVI in Quebec on worn out machines they'd bought from CIL Imperial...the stuff was junk and unsafe to shoot. One customer at the gunshop I worked at bought a new Marlin 336 and S&W 30-30 ammo for it and blew it up the next day...no bbl obstruction, just dangerously overloaded and poorly manufactured brass with serious headspace issues. Our supplier did some digging and found out the true source of the ammo at which time we quit selling it. Same for the .22LR ammo that was still being marketed as Imperial which had been a premium brand years before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.