Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own the greatest reloading machine, a Spolar. I reload premium components, but lately the shot prices in Calif. ($45 a bag) have made me consider options. So I bought 50 pounds of reclaimed for $50. It looked pretty good, so I went for it. My coach thinks it's a bad idea, but what do you think? My dealer told me shot prices are expected to rise in the next few months.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Don't, I've cost myself more in repair parts for my Spolar than I saved in loading reclaimed compared to the cost of new shot. Larry

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
My thought is the quality of the reclaimed. I know both Spolar's don't like reclaimed shot, but some of the quality I have seen looks really good....some not so much. My club has some reclaimed that I believe would load really well, but I am still living off old lead for now. Wish my crystal ball was working when I bought a ton, I would have bought 5.

·
Supporting Vendor
6,019 Posts
I thought Spolar said reclaimed shot will not meter in their machines.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I use a Pacific, so no comment on Spolar or any other brand but have been using re-claim for a couple years now and can't see any difference back to the 23 after that I still don't notice much if any difference. That said I do use new for games as they sometimes get a little looooong distance. The shot that I've been using is nice & clean- re-graphited- and has been run through a magnetic separator goes through "my" loader just as well as new, I do pour it in a shallow pan and run a good strong magnet through it before putting in the hopper and do find steel shot but very little. Ross Puls

·
Registered
661 Posts
Some reclaimed shot has rock chips with jagged edges that scratch the internals of the reloader, particularly in moving areas such as the charge bar, as well as when it goes out the barrel when fired.

·
Banned
1,598 Posts
Reclaimed=polished quartz rocks. Looks the same in your hand and shoots great...just be sure and not be worried about your gun.

·
Registered
16,842 Posts
I know there is a high probability that some lead reclaimers do not do a good job.

I have been using reclaimed lead since 1992, and only recall a few foriegn objects in that time, one of which was a 22 rimfire bullet.

Much of what I used came from a pond, and is much less likely to have lighter stuff like pea gravel etc in it.

So the final word is that it depends on the miner and his equipment.

HM

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Although tempting, and in view of the comments above, I have decided to not put reclaimed through my Spolar. I'd rather lose $50 than risk hundreds in repairs and angst. Also, Bill Sergent and my coach never led me astray. Thanks, guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.