Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering a new system. Dealer handles Carrier and says top of line is Infinity Series 20 Heat Pump with Infinity 4 Way Variable Speed Gas Furnace. I'm in Ohio.

I know there is some HVAC guys that post here. Need some guidance. The answer to the first question is that I'm in my last house and not yet an ATA Veteran. Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
I like the Infinity series myself. Are you on natural gas or LP? If your on natural gas I would forget the heat pump. If LP then go with the HP for sure. You gotta compare the payback of a HP with how expensive your fuel source is. With that variable speed furnace your house will be sooo comfortable. That's my 2 cents.

John

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. LP here and the dealer really bragged up the Infinity. They push GEO but I don"t want the mess. I like the dealer and will buy from them just I want to do this right.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Contact 'Catpower' here for his input as well...

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
Carrier is as good as anybodies, but I might be a little partial I have sold them for about 40 years, the only down side is some of the super high efficiency equipment uses super high priced parts, we have one of the earlier Infinity's and one night the indoor fan motor quit, it is an ECM (electronically commutated motor) which they all are now, but my cost on a complete motor was right at $1200, the module that controls the motor was $239, luckily it was just a back thermistor that was available from an after market outfit for $10. But the newer ones are much lower priced (motors)

But I have been kind of out of the bidness for the last few years, and haven't kept up with the newer model numbers, but Carrier is good, but all a/c equipment is pretty good, 99% is the installer. If the company has a good reputation that means more than all the equipment in the world , unless the day it is installed the installer has a case of the dipsticks LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
"99% is the installer"

I couldn't agree more!

The payback on geo can get very long, do your homework. A high efficiency heat pump vs LP, I'd have to go with a heat pump then. It should be good down to around 40 degrees outside then your furnace would kick on, but it would still be way more efficient than what you have now ( assuming you have an older system now). Catpower is right about the parts cost a few years ago, but consumers don't stand for that very long once word gets out, more reasonable now. But make no mistake, there's a lot of parts in the new stuff compared to the old. Good Luck and do your research.

John

·
Registered
545 Posts
You can have the best HP ever made, but with out a proper return air system you'll never realize it's full potential. I can't remember how many HP's I made more efficient by increasing the return ducts. The return has to be sized to the correct static pressures. And in the winter months have a low return grill/grills to pull the heat level down off the ceiling.
Now the supply side has to be correct also, but more often then not...too small a return system.
Now I've been out of HVAC for many years.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
During these 'dog days' - something to think about...

AC.jpg

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
i put a Carrier unit in my place almost 10 years ago.. never any issues! my 3Ton A/C unit will freeze you out..

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. How does $15,000 sound?
Yeah I would get some more bids, it has been a while since I priced any of the high end stuff, but that is pretty high

How many tons is it?

There are a some of companies that have jacked the prices up and some of the legitimate companies have rode on the high priced shirttails

Here in N Texas there are companies advertising $6500 off their prices, most systems should sell for $6500

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had an Infinity 20 heat pump put in last year, replaced a 17 year old system. I absolutely love it, quiet inside and out, runs at low variable speeds and will dehumidify the whole house. Last month the electric bill was 110 bucks, all electric 1800 sf rancher, ran the ac all month, electricity is expensive in MD.
The 20 is pricy, mine was about 10,500 installed after Carrier rebates, I originally had priced a lesser Infinity but went with the 20 as it has the best heat rating of any heat pump out there.

·
Super Moderator
3,068 Posts
"99% is the installer"

I couldn't agree more!

The payback on geo can get very long, do your homework. A high efficiency heat pump vs LP, I'd have to go with a heat pump then. It should be good down to around 40 degrees outside then your furnace would kick on, but it would still be way more efficient than what you have now ( assuming you have an older system now). Catpower is right about the parts cost a few years ago, but consumers don't stand for that very long once word gets out, more reasonable now. But make no mistake, there's a lot of parts in the new stuff compared to the old. Good Luck and do your research.

John
Typical heat pump thermal balance point is around 25 degree's outside temp. This is where the heat pump output matches the heat loss of the home. The economic balance point is much lower, but below thermal balance point is where people complain about the supply air feeling cold and drafty. This is usually controlled by thermostat setting with an outdoor temp sensor.

Here in northern Illinois we spend about 90% of our heating season above 25 degrees, so a dual fuel (heat pump & LP gas furnace) system is about 50% operating cost compared to just LP furnace.

The other nice thing about dual fuel is if either electric or LP costs jump, you can adjust at the thermostat to take advantage of the cheaper fuel.

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
Typical heat pump thermal balance point is around 25 degree's outside temp. This is where the heat pump output matches the heat loss of the home. The economic balance point is much lower, but below thermal balance point is where people complain about the supply air feeling cold and drafty. This is usually controlled by thermostat setting with an outdoor temp sensor.

Here in northern Illinois we spend about 90% of our heating season above 25 degrees, so a dual fuel (heat pump & LP gas furnace) system is about 50% operating cost compared to just LP furnace.

The other nice thing about dual fuel is if either electric or LP costs jump, you can adjust at the thermostat to take advantage of the cheaper fuel.

The main reason we have dual fuel is, ice storms, we get a lot of them here and can lose power for a week or more at times, I have it set up so our 6500 kw genset can run the house but not the heat pump, it would drive me nuts (but I have done it in the summer, but it wasn't an ice storm it was a windstorm) to listen to a 100 hp tractor sucking down copious amounts of diesel to pull the 27.5 KVA generator LOL

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
The one I'm considering is a 4 ton unit.

I would get some other bids, I could make good money hauling the system up from Texas to install it at your house

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Catpower, That's the plan. The company that did the quote has been very good to us for service. Last week I came home from a shoot
and the house was 82 degrees. Unit was iced up due to low Freon. They were here in 30 minutes. Couldn't do repair until ice melted anyway
but they came quick. Hard to price that.

·
Molon Labe
11,984 Posts
Thanks Catpower, That's the plan. The company that did the quote has been very good to us for service. Last week I came home from a shoot
and the house was 82 degrees. Unit was iced up due to low Freon. They were here in 30 minutes. Couldn't do repair until ice melted anyway
but they came quick. Hard to price that.

I agree good service is worth a lot, and some of the ultra efficient equipment is high, almost to the point of never paying for itself before it is worn out.

But if they have been around for a long time I guess they are competitive for your area, I have found prices vary a lot across the country

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your help. I'll get another bid. We haven't really gotten down to final price yet but that was bid.

Biggest question is are the Carrier models I've described really the best?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts