Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rarely carry my gun. Of course I have a permit. But today I decided to start to carry more often in certain areas I go. Reason is not so much for my protection but protection of the police.
Never thought that would come to this but police need a deterrent also. I figured if I seen any officer in a position he could not protect himself I figure it's time for citizens to step up and preform a duty. What say you ?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Not to preach, but you should carry every day. Not just when you are going to a bad part of town. You never know when you might need to defend yourself. Criminals don't just stay in the bad parts of town.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
On the subject, this is for professional LEO's--was thinking if I saw a LEO in a situation--should I ask "do you need some back up"---or just mind my own business ?

Phil Berkowitz

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Phil, I am not and have never been a LEO. But I know and have been friends with quite a few police officers. This is just my opinion. 999 times out of 1000 a LEO will not want any help or intervention. Our carry permits do not make us commissioned Police Officers. If we do get involved, we add another distraction to responding police that only see another person with a gun. Most responding officers will be on high alert and will not have all the facts of what is actually happening in real time. Not only do we open ourselves up injury or death by the criminal but also by responding police. Another issue might be lawsuits. You have to realize that our response/aid is going to be challenged in civil or criminal court by the criminals lawyer. A great deal of caution needs to be taken when deciding whether to get involved. Having said that, If an officer is being overwhelmed and/or signaling or requesting help, the only thing to do is to assist.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Dukefan pretty well nailed it. In addition, any officers responding as backup would see you with a gun & you could get hurt. I was an officer for 32 years & seeing you coming with a gun, not knowing who you are, would consider you a threat. Now an officer down situation is another matter. Would be a judgment matter & would happen so fast that a person would act ( or react) to the situation so quickly or not. Hard to say till it would happen I guess, hope none of us here ever are put in that situation. A conceal carry permit is actually only for your personal protection not for law enforcement. I understand jpl's concerns & are well meaning. Colonel

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
There was just that scenario within the past week in Ft. Meyers. A cop getting his azz kicked and a dude came by and the cop told the passerby to shoot the guy and the passerby shot and killed the guy beating the cop.

I can't imagine I would do the same thing. The thought of living with the vision of taking a persons life will never leave the mind and I would always think, I took his life and neither I nor my family was at risk or fear.

Help a cop in Chicago? No way. A white man shoots a black guy beating the crap out of a cop with 50 people watching...you would never make it out alive. Those streets are filled with machine guns and I would be defending myself with a spear. No thanks. I'll use my phone.

·
Registered
324 Posts
In these times A lot of thoughts go through peoples minds, Like the question posed by b12. That said Dukefan and Colonel klink pretty much answered your question/thought. The only thing I would add is, Carrying A gun on or off duty or by A properly trained and licensed individual is a 24/7 responsibility and decision. In scenario posed you would not only be putting yourself in danger but also the LEO.
One thought I always pose to someone when instructing is. If put in A situation where you need to draw your weapon are you ready to take A life? That is A question all should ask when deciding to carry.
Sorry for the sidetrack but just something to think about.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Been on the job for 11 years now. My personal opinion is that I'll always take help wherever and whenever I can get it, if I need it.

As others said, use caution approaching a hostile situation. Make it very clear that you are there to help. Once other officers are on scene, you may be treated harshly initially. Remain calm and explain yourself after things are under control.

As for Ducknut, take your phone and show your wife and kids how your fearful "white" self watched another man lose his life protecting people like you. SHEEP!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Go back to your training guys. Why would you pull out your carry? Leave it where it is unless the proper situation presents itself.

Remember, the gun 'always' gets arrested and don't speak a single word, to anyone.

That's why cops are always placed on administrative leave after an incident ... get their thoughts together.

Dusty

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I did 27 years on the job with most of them being on the street. Hell yes I would have welcomed any help in a tight spot. Usually backup was there or on the way but..............
I believe that citizens who carry have at least thought out what their actions would be in any situation they might face and that they are somewhat proficient in the use of their weapon.
George

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Dukefan pretty well nailed it. In addition, any officers responding as backup would see you with a gun & you could get hurt. I was an officer for 32 years & seeing you coming with a gun, not knowing who you are, would consider you a threat. Now an officer down situation is another matter. Would be a judgment matter & would happen so fast that a person would act ( or react) to the situation so quickly or not. Hard to say till it would happen I guess, hope none of us here ever are put in that situation. A conceal carry permit is actually only for your personal protection not for law enforcement. I understand jpl's concerns & are well meaning. Colonel
Well said colonel but I'd have taken the help if there wasn't any.
George

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
As for Ducknut, take your phone and show your wife and kids how your fearful "white" self watched another man lose his life protecting people like you. SHEEP!
Fine. I'll be the sheep. I will not insert myself into a shoot out to help you. My life is more important to me and my family and means nothing to a thug on the street with a machine gun. Sorry about your loss.

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
I would hope that if you carry, you should be prepared to help anyone in a life/death situation? Why carry if you wouldn't? Secondly, when this subject always comes up, I get a kick out of the Rambo's that surface having never pulled out on a human, shot at a person or been in combat. Yet they claim that they would do this or do that. Those who have experienced one or more of those scenarios realize what it's like and probably live with unpleasant memories.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Fine. I'll be the sheep. I will not insert myself into a shoot out to help you. My life is more important to me and my family and means nothing to a thug on the street with a machine gun. Sorry about your loss.

Thank God all don't think like this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts