Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this thread because many of us rely on the informations from CARFAX when we check up pre-owned vehicles.

Have you wondered where those rental cars went after rental campaniles retire them? Typically after certain period of time (18~30 month) and milage (within factory warranty) for easy sell.

Do you know CARFAX does not provide ownership information on used vehicles except how many times it had been transferred ?

A retired rental car will simply show "One Owner" on CARFAX.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Will the Carfax report that the original owner was, in fact, a rental agency? For instance if the original buyer comes up as 'Enterprise" you'd have to know it was a rental.

Good point and I don't know the answer.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, CARFAX will not disclose who the previous owner was.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
CARFAX also only discloses information that mechanics decide to put into the system. Joe blow mechanic isn't puting the tranny rebuild into a system that Carfax can show a buyer.

that stuff comes from dealers only.

What you get on a Carfax is how many times the title has been transferred, where the vehicle was (nice because if you see a vehicle has gone from one coast to the next from a dealer it probably because it was a lemon so they fixed it and shipped it across the country)

Its also good to see where it was because of the climate the vehicle was in such as a salty salty environment. There was a whole big thing about flooded vehicles from Katrina moving up north and being sold via auction. They would dry up and the salt from the gulf would rust out all the wiring.

Its good for that but to see accidents, repairs, etc... its all WHO decided to report the info.

That being said, I get them when I buy a used vehicle. Its nice to see where the vehicle came from. When the dealer tells you they took it in on trade from a little old lady that ran it gently and your carfax said it came from Hew York city and they bought it from an auction, that tells you something and you got a little leverage when you throw it back in the salesman's face.

But it won't give an actual owner name, it will give its previous location or locations.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The repair history was based on certain free software provided to body shops for parts estimating and what the dealer charge for hours of labor.

It require VIN #s to properly ID the make, year and correct model, version of a model down to optional packages you have on your vehicle. These information will stay in their data base for tracking one particular vehicle's repair history.

If your body shop does not use such software, your repair history will not in it. But it's a very comprehensive system, and it's free, so most body shops use it.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
"Have you wondered where those rental cars went after rental campaniles retire them?"

Most of the rental car companies sell their retired rental vehicles and I can tell you from working for Enterprise as a part-time driver that they are not a bad buy. Rental cars used to be something most of us would never consider because, after all, everyone who rented them pounded the daylights out of them, right?. Well, it isn't that way these days.

Hang around a rental car office for an hour or so some time. The daily cost to rent one, even an econobox, is high enough that the riff-raff with no respect for others' property can't afford it. You see mostly business people who just need to get to their appointments and back to the airport. Or families who rent minivans for their vacation trips. Or, like me, the father of the groom who is asked to haul the groomsmen around at a wedding three states away and rents a van for that duty.

Rental car companies have cracked down on damage and abuse because they learned the hard way how much just one replacement tire and/or wheel costs these days, with the usually-required alignment after the repair. Accordingly, rental cars are inspected upon departure and return and the renter agrees to the condition both times, with damage/abuse repairs charged to the credit card he/she MUST give the rental company before getting the car. Accordingly, renters cannot beat the snot of their rental car and expect to just walk away from it. They are told that up front and that puts things in a whole other perspective.

The automakers watch rental companies' maintenance records to avoid paying for neglect on warranty claims so you can be assured the required maintenance is done. In Enterprise's case, every car gets a 12-month, 12,000-mile powertrain warranty from Enterprise but administered by a major warranty company (GM Major Guard) that includes roadside assistance in addition to the remaining factory warranty. And if you decide within a week or 1,000 miles that you don't like the vehicle for any reason, Enterprise buys it back. Since I went to work for them in 2011, the office where I work, which is consistently in the top 10 nationally each month in sales volume, has had just four returned.

Yes, rental cars get wrecked sometimes but Enterprise wholesales ones with more than minor paint repairs like scuffed bumper covers. I ran over a spare wheel and tire that fell off the tractor-trailer in front of me in upstate New York while driving a new minivan on I-390. The van suffered left front suspension and minor body damage; after our shop repaired it, the company sent it to an auction.

I spent 38 years in franchised dealerships and was impressed with Enterprise's system when I started working for them after I retired almost three years ago. So much so, in fact, that my wife and both now drive retired Enterprise rental vehicles - I have a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew and my wife has a 2012 Ford Focus SEL sedan. Enterprise orders most of its vehicles in higher trim levels and with a nice amount of optional equipment, so both of ours would be considered "loaded." And we paid a couple of thousand dollars under any of the retail guides' suggested resale prices for them.

So now you know what happens to all those rental vehicles!

Ed

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I cannot swear it was carfax, as I threw it away, but the used car I bought a year ago November came with a paper of the history. It showed as a lease car, then it showed getting transfered to an individual who drove it a couple years and traded it in. It listed the State and county of the licensing.

The Carfax did not show any record of an accident, but the car was clearly in one. The left rear door has been reskinned and the left rear fender has been repaired and repainted. I could tell it had been repaired the day I bought it, but it was a good, clean, low mileage car at a good price other than that. I do not feel cheated in anyway. As far as the CarFax, it could have been a repaired total that someone died in and if they missed it, a customer that counts only on the record would not have been "protected".

I think we rely too much on computer printouts and assume that will protect us.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Your better off taking the car your looking at to your local bodyman, pretty easy for him to spot if it's ever been in a fight....

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
That's true. In this area anyway, body shops do not report to CARFAX and other such sources - insurance companies do, so if a person pays out of pocket for a repair, it never shows on CARFAX. And that's more common these days as people are choosing higher deductibles to keep premiums lower, which puts more repairs in the non-reportable category.

Ed

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ed is correct. Rental cars get all scheduled services on time.

Also, rental car companies sell their best used vehicles at their own car sales department that carries their own warranty. Others go to either auction or Carmax.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I thought rental cars were the second most popular off road vehicles, only behind company trucks LOL

·
Registered
888 Posts
I bought a 2012 Chrysler 300 last summer. I was given a report, maybe a carfax, that showed the prior owner to be Enterprise and that it was located in Washington DC.

Knowing this model is the in premium class and fairly expensive on a daily basis I decided to buy it.

Love the car.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
Does Carfax tell you anything about mileage? That is important because of dealer and or people rolling back the numbers on the car.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Actually, "resetting the clock" is a VERY difficult and complicated procedure these days as mileage is stored on a chip in the PCM that is VIN-specific, so someone wanted to alter the reading has to spend a lot of money trying - not necessarily succeeding, just trying - and have more automotive computer expertise than most. But yes, CARFAX does list mileages.

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts