Trapshooters Forum banner

Canterbury wireless voice activated pullers

1655 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  2500 HD
We are having a lot of trouble with our wireless voice activated pullers. We have a spare transmitter giving us a total of 6 units incase we have one act up. We currently have 2 that have been sent in for repairs/testing several times in the past 6 months and still cannot keep them working. We number our stands so we know which stand is or isn’t working. We’ve rebooted the system several times in a couple different figurations. All units on station 3 and units on their Individual pads. Still have one unit that loses signal. (2 lights blinking). I understand the mother boards were replaced and speaker wires. We are at a loss of what to do. Buy a new system? Buy another unit? Keep sending them in and paying round trip postage?? Our system is almost 15 years old. Look like new. Well taken care of. Anyone have any advice on troubleshooting this problem? Thanks Ken.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
I have replaced components that were just as old as yours, and the system now works as it should.

By keeping the stands and cables (except for a couple of pins and sockets) the replacement cost with shipping was somewhere in the neighborhood of $400.

I did not have to replace the control box, which would have been another $250.

· Registered
500 Posts
When our system was having issues I took the plugs off the speakers, sprayed both connectors with contact cleaner, carefully bent the pins so there was resistance putting the plug together, dielectric grease was used before putting the plugs together and tightening. Using a jewelers screwdriver I reset the rotary switch positions on the circuit board making sure they were all the same and in the detent. We have had no problems since.

One weak battery will cause problems as will LI ion batteries.

· Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Several us members want to replace them now but our president will not let us until our next meeting in April. We really need them now. Guys are upset and I’m afraid next years winter league is at jeopardy. I’ll try what you guys suggested above. Thanks Ken. Any thing else I’d be glad to listen.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
I have grown to really despise Canterbury WIRELESS voice releases. They are so NON-responsive to my voice I am about ready to stop going to three of our area clubs that use these and either have them mis-adjusted, defective or otherwise more of a pain to shoot over then it is worth. Just this past few days I was at a club where I ended up several times calling four or five times just to release one bird. The number of birds released on a single call was fewer than the number requiring several calls before a bird was released. I was not the only one there who had a similar problem. It was not just on a single station on one field but almost all stations on two fields.

I will ask the scorer to manually release the bird and most will but by that time I have already had a number of no releases and the concentration is lost.

At one place this has been a continuing problem over a couple of years.

Similar results have happened at a couple of other clubs also. Now part of it may be my sort of low frequency voice (bass) but there are a couple of other places that also use the Canterbury WIRELESS release with no problem, except maybe one no release out of 25 and often no problem what so ever. When at places with WIRED Canterbury releases I have no problem at all.

If you ever pin down exactly what is causing the problem and a definite fix, I hope the info can be passed on here. I think a lot od clubs would appreciate knowing how to make the system work right each and every time.

· Registered
Krieghoff K-80s
3,304 Posts
Our oldest set was purchased 15 years ago and is still working fine. That said, anything mechanical or electrical requires knowledge, maintenance and some work from time to time. Gary Parker at Bob Schultz Target Shotguns is a great source of help; just plain old fashioned customer service.
Good luck.
Jon Reitz

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Watch out for Wi-Fi interference, or other frequency radio controls. Being older there probably is not an adjustable timing dead delay between calls to where a bird will be not be thrown. Instant, 2 seconds, 2.5 seconds etc. Remember a trap takes about 1.4 to 1.6 seconds to reload. Mics will get weaker or less sensitive with use also. If the fall over and take a hard hit, that can sometimes do it also.

Make sure the far right main transceiver switch in the trap is set on 5, not 6. Then also make sure all other transceiver switches are set the same. Maybe set the trap numbers (center and left switches) with double digits instead of one. Trap one, station one would be set 1,1,1. station two would be 1,1,2, etc. Then trap two would be 2,2,1 etc.

The trap transceiver would be 1,1,5 or 2,2,5, etc. Main controller would be the trap numbers 1,1, or 2,2, etc.

Turn everything off. Start with power to the trap first. Then turn the calls on, then the main controller.

Could be burnt or corroded contacts in the relay switch, of the control box (grey) inside the trap.

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Like mentioned above, make sure the speaker contacts are tight, and spread the prongs inside slightly for tight fit. Apply some die electric spray.

· Registered
2,767 Posts
Another thing to try is switch the five around in different sequence. Two sensitive mics on either side of a tired one can cause simultaneous pick-up of the call between two calls. This will cancel the bird. This is where we tend to yell louder and faster. If there is a time delay, it resets after each call. This will only increase the problems.

Trying to figure these things out can cause extra time in the bar, trust me.

· Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have them numbered. 2,3,4,&5 are working fine. Number 1 and our spare unit will not keep signal (2 lights blinking when searching for a signal). Batteries are fresh and test good. Both receivers have been sent in more than once and are going back again tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.