Trapshooters Forum banner

Canterbury wireless issues

2766 Views 23 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  sts1100
So school me on these with your experience.
The day before a shoot we changed batteries at the end of the day and shot over them with no problems the next day sure enough 2 on the same field started acting up then one the next field.
I checked the problem ones and batteries where good and but signal was flashing.
Not sure if this means weak signal or not a shooter that was shooting said it means they have signal?
Luckily my sons know when to press the button so they did that on the problem station.
Shoot went well but it just adds stress when equipment that worked perfect the day before all of a sudden doesn't.
Thank you all in advance for advice on these.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,305 Posts
Could you elaborate, just what was happening, or not happening. I’m always looking to learn more. We have three Trap fields. We’ve been using wireless CVRs about 3 years. Recently we wrestled with our center trap, throwing “ghost” targets, without a call. It got so bad that we switched back to wired just for the center. We eventually found a solution, a very unique solution which seems to be holding up, three months now.

I’m assuming you are getting no target when calling for a target. From our experience, it could be:
Microphone not turned on - surprising how often this happens
A break in microphone wire
Loose connections
Possibly poor batteries, but not likely if you put in new

Like I said, a inquiring mind would like to know.

Bill Radwan - Glen Park Izaak Walton (Merrillville, IN)

· Registered
4,761 Posts
Do you keep the all the “speakers”for each field together or are you mixing up several fields worth?
the speakers are synced with the box in the house. If u replace or switch a speaker (and it’s controller on the stand) from another field it needs to be programmed to the house receiver. call Gary at Bob Schultz target shotguns (828) 693-3833

· Premium Member
6,306 Posts
The speaker sends a signal to the hand held unit then it communicates the command to the unit on the trap.
The greater the distance between the units the more chance of it not working.
The closer they are to each other the better.
Henry

· Registered
2,071 Posts
My club uses them either the speakers were placed on the wrong field or there is debris or a loose connection in the speaker.

Reactions: WesleyB

· Registered
3,963 Posts
More of a question. I was at one club where everyone on several squads was having trouble on one field with No Bird releases, This was on all posts on that field. A couple of things were tried to correct the problem but to no effect. Then, suddenly in the middle of one squad, things started working correctly. These were Canterbury wireless. I began to wonder if there may have been some interfering RF signal coming from someone's cell phone or other electronic device (Blue Tooth, WiFi, Cable TV, Sat Phone or other device like Ham radio, Police type radio, or something similar) that was jamming the release signal and the interfering transmitter or system was shut off or went out of range. Anyone know what the frequency used by the Canterbury system is? Do they share a RF band with other services like the old CB unlicensed low power walki-talkies did?

· Registered
2,071 Posts
More of a question. I was at one club where everyone on several squads was having trouble on one field with No Bird releases, This was on all posts on that field. A couple of things were tried to correct the problem but to no effect. Then, suddenly in the middle of one squad, things started working correctly. These were Canterbury wireless. I began to wonder if there may have been some interfering RF signal coming from someone's cell phone or other electronic device (Blue Tooth, WiFi, Cable TV, Sat Phone or other device like Ham radio, Police type radio, or something similar) that was jamming the release signal and the interfering transmitter or system was shut off or went out of range. Anyone know what the frequency used by the Canterbury system is? Do they share a RF band with other services like the old CB unlicensed low power walki-talkies did?

That has never crossed my mind, good call. I don't have the answer but I am going to start digging around

· Registered
319 Posts
We were having a problem with this, mostly when shooting handicap. We added an external power source for the voice release system plus we added an extra length of wire for the transmitter that is attached to the trap machine. We moved this transmitter away from trap house and closer to the shooters. This solved our problems.

· Premium Member
1,548 Posts
Bob, call Bob Schultz at Target Shotguns. He sells Canterbury Voice Releases, he fixes them, he has technicians that repair these things all the time. Target Shotguns, Inc. | Firearms and Gear for sale | Hendersonville | 28792

The wireless Canterbury's are "easier" to use but not as sensitive to "noise" as the wired ones. As was mentioned, on a real windy day you have to turn the volume of you call up to get a bird. The wired ones have much more maintenance issues and we were fixing them all the time.

Jimmy Bowen

· Registered
1,305 Posts
The CVRs operate on 2.4 GHz. Same frequency as cellphones. Internet routers also operate on 2.4 GHz. In our layout, we have 3 traps, all wireless. We shoot to the south. About 150 yards north of us is a residential sub-division. When I search for wi-fi connections, there are about 8-10 near us. About 150 yards to the west of us is Interstate 65, with trucks and cars zipping by, using wi-fi. To the east of us is another sub-division, again about 100 yards. Finally, we shoot into a wooded area. On the other side, roughly 200 yards is a cell tower servicing cell phone providers. We have not experienced any interference.

· Registered
Krieghoff K-80s
3,304 Posts
CRC wireless transceivers have two enemies; water and metal. Either can cause signals to bounce. That can include snow. The other thing Gary Parker has taught me over the years is to use only Energizer lithium batteries. If there is a battery problem in any of the microphone transceivers, look for the LOW BATTERY light to blink on the score’s unit. An inexpensive battery tester is a valuable tool to have. Lithium batteries give little to no warning when they do go bad, but in all they last a very long time.

Our local club is going on 15 years of usage with one of our wireless CVR sets.

Good luck.
Jon Reitz

· Registered
3,963 Posts
The CVRs operate on 2.4 GHz. Same frequency as cellphones. Internet routers also operate on 2.4 GHz. In our layout, we have 3 traps, all wireless. We shoot to the south. About 150 yards north of us is a residential sub-division. When I search for wi-fi connections, there are about 8-10 near us. About 150 yards to the west of us is Interstate 65, with trucks and cars zipping by, using wi-fi. To the east of us is another sub-division, again about 100 yards. Finally, we shoot into a wooded area. On the other side, roughly 200 yards is a cell tower servicing cell phone providers. We have not experienced any interference.
I see from the instructions posted above, channel selection is in the initial setup to differentiate different fields and the posts on that field. In the instance I mentioned vehicles could be, and were, parked maybe 15 or 20 feet behind the 27 yard line. People were coming and going and vehicles were moving away. I did not notice if any car pulled out when the release started working correctly. From the location of the club, outside interference from houses is highly unlikely. I don't know if there may, or may not, have been some equipment in the clubhouse, which was a couple hundred feet from the problem field. The location was also a fair distance from any major or even secondary road. It would seem that if external interference was the problem in this particular case, it would have had to come from some vehicle in the immediate area. There are so many variables in this situation, I guess it will never be proven if interference was responsible.

Sometime I might have to try Wi-Fi explorer on a phone when I am near a voice release Canterbury just to see what the results may be.

· Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you keep the all the “speakers”for each field together or are you mixing up several fields worth?
the speakers are synced with the box in the house. If u replace or switch a speaker (and it’s controller on the stand) from another field it needs to be programmed to the house receiver. call Gary at Bob Schultz target shotguns (828) 693-3833
All are marked field 1 field 2 3. 4 5 6

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.