Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has come to the point that he is unable to set his release trigger without a bunch of twitching and flinching and standing on his toes.

So I thought I'd poll the masses on folks that have been there and worked out of it. HELP!

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Barry, I know you are at Tucson. I just got here too, the wind blew me here !! LOL

I'll see you in the clubhouse and tell you what works for me.

Tom

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Sounds more serious than a flinch. It also sounds dangerous. I am serious now, have him checked for early signs of Parkinson Disease. I know this may be far fetched, but I seen my uncle start with this type of thing, and now he just locks up sometimes, and can't move anything at all. If it isn't, no harm in checking. If it is, medication helps.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If it is a break action gun see if you can set the trigger before closing the gun. Make sure you mount the gun with an outward then back into the shoulder movement so the butt doesn't hang up on clothing.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I have a friend that has come to the point that he is unable to set his release trigger without a bunch of twitching and flinching and standing on his toes.

So I thought I'd poll the masses on folks that have been there and worked out of it. HELP!
Set the trigger before he shoulders it.

Use middle finger.

Different gun.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I know a guy with the same problem.Funny thing is,with the gun open,he can shoulder the gun,set the trigger,and then close the gun.

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
I had the very thing happen to me.

This is what I did.

Load the (breakopen) gun but don't close it. Set trigger, close it and then put it to my shoulder and call for the bird.

After awhile, I didn't care for this method so I went to what I do now.

Load gun, close gun, set the trigger before I bring it to my shoulder, bring it to my shoulder and call for the bird. Works great for me,

Hauxfan!

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Pretty soon they will have to come out with a double release for one shot. First one is the practice, or dummy pull, second one is go time.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
Have him shoot a different gun with a pull trigger and shoot some Sporting Clays, 5 stand, or skeet for a couple of months. Then he can try to go back to Trap with his release trigger (or pull if its working). If he has a problem with the other games and gun. Then take 2 months off and do nothing. Then go back to Trap. If he still has a problem, have him take up golf!!! He's done. Its a mental issue that may or may not ever be broken. Time does heal many things, but safety is a large issue here, and he currently is not a safe shooter. Has he had any Accidental Discharges lately because of this??? Even if he has not, He's not safe!!! IMO
break em all Jeff

·
Premium Member
10,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Even though he's having this problem, he is very safe. He's had a few go off too soon but he's not unsafe. Many of your suggestions, he has tried and nothing has worked yet.

I talked to a shooter last night and he is a Silver Seitz shooter who had the same problem. The Silver Seitz folks suggested he increase the let off weight. He went from 28# to #38 and his problem went away.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know at least 2 seitz shooters (one of whom is a very accomplished former All American) who both set the trigger before they close the gun. They close and shoulder right before they call.

I have to think it's easier psychologically to pivot the gun closed holding the trigger, than to set a trigger on a closed gun.

As long as the shooter controls the muzzle direction I have no problem with this from safety perspective.

·
Registered
10,195 Posts
If you Say So Barry!!! If you Say So!!! But anyone who has multiple discharges on his toes is not safe if they are not balanced well---IMO. At least not for the long term. Best of Luck with your shooting bud. I Hope he can find a cure soon. break em all Jeff

·
Vendor
697 Posts
I have set my release with the gun open since 1991 after having the same problems, it cures it.

Hundreds of shooters have had the same problem, several at my own club. It is just a flinch, your finger just bounces off the trigger. Most shooters swear the trigger pulled through but usually that is never really the case. Once it goes off a few times the brain gets panicking and you can no longer set it. I can remember my thoughts, you get so afraid of setting it you feel like there is a bomb in the barrel. I have helped many shooters with the same problem several were great shooters then that trigger panic set in. Some thought their shooting career was over it is fixable for sure. Learning to set it open is much easier if you do it that way on a Wall Chart for a week or so.

Terry.

·
Thorn in your side
8,112 Posts
How can a shooter be considered safe when they do not have voluntary control of the trigger operation?

And when he's had a FEW go off too soon. That's kinda scary...BTW I shoot a release and a double release in my doubles gun.

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
Have him figure it out in practice before he comes to the line. If you want to shoot with him, fine. But not welcome on my squad till he's safe.....and who determines what safe is?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts