Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight shot two stations over from an older guy who reloads..... He shoots...... cloud of white snow out of the barrel, big puff! Apparently... He has short wads ,so he packs cotton in after the shot!
2 stAtions later, and I am still shooting thru a close of fuzzy white snow!

Creative?
Distraction? Yes
Odd? Yes

·
Registered
441 Posts
Tonight shot two stations over from an older guy who reloads..... He shoots...... cloud of white snow out of the barrel, big puff! Apparently... He has short wads ,so he packs cotton in after the shot!
2 stAtions later, and I am still shooting thru a close of fuzzy white snow!

Creative?
Distraction? Yes
Odd? Yes
I shot next to a guy last year that was packing in toilet paper , same thing fuzzy snow all over the place

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hah.

You know how some black powder shooters use an inert filler to take up space? Polenta, semolina, whatever.

I was shooting a BP revolver comp using a Ruger old army and I started to smell pineapple. I thought I was going nuts. Next 5 shots I swear I smelt cherry.

While the range crew were scoring I saw what one guy was using as filler.

Jelly crystals.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Guy I used to know (now gone) always put a spent primer in his reloads. He always said it was a easy way to get rid of old primers.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have shot with a guy at my club that does the TP thing to fill space in his reloads.. first time I saw it I was a bit confused. Now, whatever.

·
Premium Member
3,395 Posts
a guy I used to shoot with buffered his loads with flour, then on top of the crimp he melted wax to seal the casing, huge streak of white would trail the shot, smelled good, he only blew up 2 guns in 8 years, not bad, may he rest in peace.
Was anybody hurt or disfigured when the 2 guns blew up? Bystanders beware!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
When I was a kid I'd run out of 5mm pellet's for my Sheridan Pellet Gun. So, when Daddy wouldn't pop for some cash I'd wrap Kleenex around BB's and stuff them in the chamber. Pretty accurate, if one could ignore the flying snot rags flying around in the wind.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Tron, my club is the Lapeer County Sportsmens Club, not far from you. Come on out some shotgun day and we'll have you laughing in stiches. Many of us shoot 3/4oz 12ga shells. We don't like recoil, we like to save money, and feel if you center the bird in the pattern it'll break. Most birds are missed in feet, not inches. For trap with all " on edge " targets, I like 7/8oz, my magnum load.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Back to the OPs post - BP shells are loaded with fiber wads and they also will spray all over the field. But the wads aren't the problem with BP. I've also used them with shot shells - 2, 2 14, 2 3/8, or 2 1/2. You want to heard people bitch, just shoot BP on the trap line when there's no wind. Ah, a nice sweet smelling gentle haze settles so everyone has trouble seeing the targets. I just can't imagine 5 guys shooting BP back in the late 1800s. Wonder if they took breaks to let the smoke clear?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts