Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can

Can't decide on best powder to use for all three events in trap I'm looking to load one shell 1175 to 1180 fps. 1-1/8 7 1/2 STS hull figure 8 wad win. primer need consistent drop charge and low recoil ? Help please

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
Green Dot

I use:

Remington Hull<br>
Winchester 209 Primer<br>
19.3 grains Green Dot<br>
DownRange Fig8 wad <br>
1 1/8oz of 7.5 or 8's

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been looking at green dot does it meter consistently i also have heard it is pretty dirty any comments ?

·
Registered
21,599 Posts
I have good luck with it dropping consistently. As for being dirty, it can be especially if loaded to its very low end. I think the load I posted above burns fairly clean and is at least consistent with many other powders I've tried. That load also fits right in the speed range you requested. I think it's a pretty darn smooth shooting load as well.

·
Registered
942 Posts
One of my fav loads .... is just what you are looking for. Recoil isnt too bad and clean burning. The powder is a little pricey though. Chrono's about 1185.

Rem Gun Club, 500 gr 7.5 West Coast, Noble (or Win) primer, Rem F8 wad, 19.7-20.0 gr Int Clays

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
What Matt said. Green Dot meters well, keep pressures up and it is as clean as most powders. Green Dot is all I use for my 1 ounce and 1-1/8 ounce loads.

Some people will say GD is not good in cold weather, however I've never had a problem in NE Indiana.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
With Rem/Rem and <1200fps, you have a world of choices.

The *cleanest* would be Solo 1000, e3, AS or 20/28.

The dots are dirtier but more popular than all others, combined. Promo is cheapest, of course.

It would be hard to argue against 700-X, or Clays if you are a Hodgdon fan.

Bob

·
Registered
328 Posts
I use Green Dot from 1 1/8 all the way to 7/8 loads. With a Fed209A it performs well in all loads. As for dirty, it takes about a minute to clean a shotgun barrel regardless of how "dirty" the powder is. I'll take performance and versatility over clean any day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
"Clean Burning" is a relative concept, and one that stirs up way too much debate among Trap shooters IMO. In a break open gun it's a non-issue in my personal experience, in a gas operated gun it might be a different story.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If I had only one powder to choose from, it would be Clays. Has served me well for well over 20 years now. On the pattern board it's great from 1oz to 1 1/8oz.
There are many other great powders out there but this is my choice.

Mike C.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I too am in the Clays camp for 16 to 22 yards.
A clean burning, temperature tolerant powder that meters well.
For the back fence distances, I like WSH.
Art

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I could not get clays a few years ago. I bought tirewad for about $15 LESS than clays. It was fine and used less powder per shell. I just bought clays again because I could not get titewad. go figure. I have a jug of universal that I bought for 20 gauge. 20 gauge is gone. universal works for heavy 12 gauge loads plus .45,10mm, 38 357 and who knows what else.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Smoke um, I am using Clay Dot. 1 1/8oz with sts hulls, fig 8 wad, and Fiocchi primers. Mild recoil and pretty clean. I use this load for 16s and handi. I am also a fan of Green dot and Red dot, lots of good powder options for the load you are looking to make.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Everyone has a preference of what works best for them and therefore there are no bad choices; however, if I only use one powder I would use Green Dot. It gets the job done from both the 16 and long yardage handicap. If recoil is an issue Green Dot is an excellent powder. BT100dc

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Green Dot is a very good powder. The published loads perform very well. My only gripe is a layer of grey dust that develops on my loader and that it generally leaves that same grey residue behind when you shoot it too. Both on my gun and on hulls. I think that tends to cause the hulls to lose a loading or two because of the burnt residue.

International Clays has nearly the same properties as Green Dot and is MUCH cleaner, both on the reloader and in the gun. I also see that I can get more loads out of my hulls with Int'l Clays.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Clays/Claydot 1oz and 7/8oz Trap/Skeet
Green Dot 1-1/8oz Caps/SC/5-stand

IMHO there is no one powder fits all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.