Trapshooters Forum banner

Can't believe my eyes

4779 Views 33 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  flashmax
Looking at the Colorado state shoot squading and see that Ray Stafford is listed at 26 yards. What a travesty. If there was anyone who ever deserves an "honorariem"(spelling?) placement at 27 yds. It is Ray. Am sure he will not stay there long. Would have taken a lot of courage to reduce him i think. JMO
Reactions: ishoottrap
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Looking at the Colorado state shoot squading and see that Ray Stafford is listed at 26 yards. What a travesty. If there was anyone who ever deserves an "honorariem"(spelling?) placement at 27 yds. It is Ray. Am sure he will not stay there long. Would have taken a lot of courage to reduce him i think. JMO
We all get old and slow down. Ray is a senior vet just like you and me.

· Registered
7,262 Posts
I'm just now getting to where my singles average doesnt warrant a reduction, so I jealously defend every half yard I have earned!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The same rules apply to him as it does you and me. If your average is not high enough your eligible for a reduction. Ray is a Great guy who has worked very hard at the game. He deserves all that it has to give to him. JMO
What is the cut line for a reduction? Ray's 2021 ave. on 2600 hdc. targets is 90.62. Seems high to get reduced to my way of thinking. JMO

· Registered
476 Posts
There needs to be no yardage given for score less than a 96. If this was done we would see fewer 27 yd shooters. I know people on the 27 yd line that have never broke a 96 from any yardage. I know one guy that has never broke 100 singles, but he is standing on the 27. I think we ought to make the 27 a goal that is harder to acheive, not easier.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There needs to be no yardage given for score less than a 96. If this was done we would see fewer 27 yd shooters. I know people on the 27 yd line that have never broke a 96 from any yardage. I know one guy that has never broke 100 singles, but he is standing on the 27. I think we ought to make the 27 a goal that is harder to acheive, not easier.
On my way to the 27 in 1976 i broke one score under 96. A 94 at night, in the wind, beating 3 current all americans at that time. There can be exceptions with extenuating circumstances. IMO

· Registered
476 Posts
Great shooting!!! There can be exceptions like that. I still think score not wins should get you to the 27 and once you get there if you can't keep a 90 average you should move up. It is an honor to make it to the 27, but it is hard to keep that 90 average if you shoot in all conditions. I'm speaking from experience.

· Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great shooting!!! There can be exceptions like that. I still think score not wins should get you to the 27 and once you get there if you can't keep a 90 average you should move up. It is an honor to make it to the 27, but it is hard to keep that 90 average if you shoot in all conditions. I'm speaking from experience.
Problem with that is you get a lot of "average protectors" who will not shoot in adverse conditions. Wind mainly. Lot of wind in the spring in Colo and Wyoming(especially Wyoming. If wind quits there, half the shooters will fall over. Very bad idea to shoot against some of these 2 states' shooters in the wind.) I am NOT one of them! JMO

· Registered
476 Posts
I'm not one of those average guys, I like to shoot. I also have enough experience to know that other shooters don't beat you, regardless of conditions. Trap shooting is a game that there is no defense, you miss a target it's your fault.

· Registered
1,766 Posts
Problem with that is you get a lot of "average protectors" who will not shoot in adverse conditions. Wind mainly. Lot of wind in the spring in Colo and Wyoming(especially Wyoming. If wind quits there, half the shooters will fall over. Very bad idea to shoot against some of these 2 states' shooters in the wind.) I am NOT one of them! JMO
You get some "above average shooters" bailing out of adverse weather at a shoot. It's called protecting the average or you're just a fair weather shooter. It is a game that is supposed to be fun! Some don't considered freezing while trying to have fun is their thing!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.