Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I load 12 and 20 on 9000s. I have a (12ga) Sizemaster for this and that, but one thing I use it for it to put a good finish on reloads that are a little poochy, or ones that have been loaded once too many and the lips have opened up. The Sizemaster not only restores a good crimp, but the folds are good and sharp and the rim is thin and seems to be more secure. Have I worn out the finish die on the 9000?

K

·
Registered
16,757 Posts
I never get to test the life on a crimp die. I usually manage to destroy one with my hydraulic every year or so.

HM

·
Registered
471 Posts
The new plastic dies should be replaced at whatever your reloading use dictates. I loaded about 10,000 shells per year and I replaced the crimp every year and sometimes twice

·
Registered
848 Posts
Maybe your machines have a slightly different adjustments. How about the, how do I say it, final, final die adjustment? I'd think it would be pretty hard to wear out the dies. Why don't you call Mec and see what they say. Let us know.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Only Mec crimpers that I have replace were replaced because I did something stupid and fouled them up. I have a spare 12 crimper, but I don't really know why I bought it. Load about 50 K a year and am still using the same crimper from 2005.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Of course you can. You can wear out anything including a hardened steel anvil. You just may not live long enough to see the wear come to a point of no longer being useful for its intended task.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well I've got three anvils, a 180#er and two 265#ers that aren't worn out. Think they're all over a 100 years old. Treat em right and they'll last forever, or so it seems. I only load about half that Curly or Polo load, but totally agree. I've worn out plastic start crimps back when I'd change them back and forth from 6 to 8 point crimps but since I installed the smooth one no more problems.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
This is a smart axx reply, but I could'nt resist:
I am 72, been loading since I was 15. I never wore out a loader but for dam sure, I'm showing some wear!!!
Sory 'bout that.
Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts