Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in my "Golden Years" ( actually rusty years). Have been shooting 200 rounds/week of 12 ga. 3/4 oz loads and reloading them too. My shoulder(s) , especially the trapazoid muscles are talking back at me and aching too.

What are some good exercises to help that situation? ( I already have tried Bourbon:018:)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Exercise directory on exrx.net. Linky.

I am mid thirties and had similar issues. Saw a physical therapist and things have been a lot better. Per them, my rotator cuff muscles weren't strong enough causing upper traps to compensate. I would advise you to see a PT if possible.

If you feel you have knots, this tool works very well to relive them - SKLZ Accustick

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'm in my "Golden Years" ( actually rusty years). Have been shooting 200 rounds/week of 12 ga. 3/4 oz loads and reloading them too. My shoulder(s) , especially the trapazoid muscles are talking back at me and aching too.

What are some good exercises to help that situation? ( I already have tried Bourbon:018:)
It's quite possible that the reloading is what's causing your pain.

Another possibility is that the lifting of the gun is aggravating the shoulders. If you've been shooting this amount for several months, I would think that the necessary muscles are developed enough that you wouldn't have to do additional exercises.

My suggestion is that you lay off the shooting for a couple of weeks and take ibuprofen to combat the inflammation. Then start back gradually and don't do any more reloading until you know for sure whether it's the shooting or the reloading that's causing the problem. You might also consider using a lighter gun (depending on the weight of your present gun).

Easystreet

·
Just getting by.....
992 Posts
If it's not cost prohibitive then I would suggest a doctors visit and a good physical therapist.

It may be nothing or as in the case of a coworker he had a baseball size tumor, after surgery at Vanderbilt and chemotherapy he will make it, but most of his shoulder is gone. He's 50.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is your shoulder sore from shooting or reloading? If you reload with manual reloader,make sure you have good leverage when pulling or pushing that handle down 200 times in a row.I used to reload and made sure I was well above handle when pushing down or my shoulder would get sore and I was only 38 years old at the time.(mec 650 loader).I would try shooting factory loads for a couple of weeks to see if it is the recoil or not.

joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts