Trapshooters Forum banner

Can you read your breaks and misses?

4415 Views 43 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  Holistics Guy
I have shot less than a year. But I read can read my breaks and misses. Too low is my most common mistake, targets pop up. My misses are because I lift my head on the hard left and right targets. I don't see those because I FU. Maybe 1 of 100 I miss and everything looked good.
So my question is can good shooters call what they did right or wrong every time
Reactions: Big Az Al
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
13,537 Posts
No way to do that. You can eliminate some of your misses by knowing what you didn't do. That can help narrow what you did wrong. Did you leave too soon? After your missed target, are your beads still lined up? Do make it a habit to keep your head on the stock after every shot. Was the last thing you saw the bead on your barrel after your miss. If it was don't take your eye off the target. I'm sure you are getting the idea by now.

As far as telling where your pattern was on the target. Well you really can't read your target breaks to well. Sometimes you can read it, but not all the time. Tighter chokes can really help you out here. Practice with your tightest chokes. Then its easier to read your breaks to some degree. When I start breaking birds in two or three pieces. I get back to basics. Head on the gun, stay in the gun, and eye's only on the target!!! Then I go right back to smoking targets again most times. Good Luck and don't forget to break em all Jeff

· Registered
5,327 Posts
I'm not sure if I qualify as a "good shooter" but in 3 of my 4 single barrel misses yesterday I knew exactly what error I had made. 2 were too far in front of hard rights from #5 and one was under. I had no idea on the 4th.

My error is in jerking the gun at RH swingers from #5 and stabbing at them. When I move the gun THROUGH those targets they always break.

Stopping the error is the tricky part now!

· Registered
5,692 Posts
Read this and you will learn more than you can imagine. Neil Winston was the greatest analytical mind to ever fire a shotgun and he based all of his statements and opinions on actual research.

· Registered
306 Posts
I shot HP rife at a pretty high level and my shot calls were very important to my scores.
As a fellow “pretty high level” high power shooter I can explain what I have experienced. I shot at top levels from 85 to 98.

Calling the shot on a clay means you were aiming, not pointing, and probably locked on the beads as the shot broke. I used to get away with that same thing-swapping focus back and forth between bird and bead- But old eyes don’t allow that lol.

I’ll also bet you shoot one eye, again a bullseye learned skill. I still use a magic dot, as small as I can, to obscure my left eye from seeing the bead, but I can use that eye almost everywhere else in the field of view to pick up movement etc.

it has taken me about 15k targets to really lock on them and see things like the rings in the dome. When I can see that detail I know I was not bead checking, and they always seem to be diesel smoke too. That level of target focus is the thing you want to “call” after the shot as opposed to bead location.

You self diagnose you are low- and your screen name is 10 at 6, a low shot. Is that a self fulfilling prophecy lol.
SF.

· Registered
2,104 Posts
I have shot less than a year. But I read can read my breaks and misses. Too low is my most common mistake, targets pop up. My misses are because I lift my head on the hard left and right targets. I don't see those because I FU. Maybe 1 of 100 I miss and everything looked good.
So my question is can good shooters call what they did right or wrong every time
The answer is no. Watch Phil Kiner's latest video where he goes into great detail about reading shots.

· Registered
469 Posts
Other than using a Garmin Xero S1, I can think of only a couple times where you can “read” or “see” your shot…first is shooting during a light to medium drizzling rain. You can see the shot vaporizing a wake to the target. Second is under some lighting conditions, usually early or late 30 degree sun angle which can reflect off the shot cloud. This will depend on how the field is oriented (N,S,E,W), viewing angle and background clutter. And it is still far easier for a spectator to see than the shooter.

Otherwise, you can’t tell dick and are fooling yourself if you think you can read breaks.

Reactions: EuroJoe

· Registered
2,421 Posts
Yes, every time and with validity. Ink spot, hit, keeps flying to land with others, lost!! Scorekeeper even confirms it for me!!
In all honesty, only way to know for sure is to pattern your gun prior to truly know how it performs with a particular choke and shell. Then have someone set up camera and video you shooting so you can actually watch it slow MO for your eyes are not accurate enough in that millisecond to detect the hit accurately.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.