Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the last few years I have had many other shooters observe me shooting, my Browning 12 gauge bps with a 28 inch barrel and extra full chokes, and over all the general feed back is that I'm out shooting my shotgun. Is this even possible? I am a long yardage shooter and shoot the 27 yard line as far back as 97 yards off the corner of the trap house for shoot offs. If I am breaking the birds with the gun then the gun is obviously capable of much more than what it is said to be capable of?

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
Obviously, if it's gotten you to the 27yd line it fits you and shoots well enough. Having said this, I recommend telling your spouse that you're way ahead of the gun's capabilities and need a new 34" unsingle/combo, custom fitted, of course. I recommend Kolar and a trip to Racine, at your earliest convenience, to get the fitting done, so you'll be ready for competition in the spring.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
That's a concept that's entirely unfamiliar to me. Don't see how anybody, no matter how skilled, can perform beyond the level of the tools of their trade. Guns fire projectiles, and if those projectiles end up where the shooter intended, then the shooter obviously didn't outshoot the gun.

Could Chet Atkins outplay his guitar? If Ozzie Smith went out to shortstop with the cheapest Rawlings available but still sucked up everything hit his way, would he be outplaying his glove?

I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
the general feed back is that I'm out shooting my shotgun.

Did the guys that said that have shotguns that cost 8 to 20 times more than your Browning BPS?

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
If you think you are out shooting your gun, or better than your gun can be at 97 yds, you probably have more problems than you can handle. Spend the money on a shrink, and send the other shooters the bill.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I do not think that is possible with a shotgun, or most pistol caliber rounds. I would say that nearing 100 yards you are at the edge of ammo capability. The pipe it is coming out of is not holding you back. (unless you want an excuse for a new gun)

I Know it is possible to out shoot a rifle, specifically the barrel. The difference is that proper .308 rifle ammo can be reliable out to 1000 yards and I was having trouble at 600 yards. I was training and my scores in National Match shooting just kind of stopped improving. Even had an experienced coach look over my positions. My 600 yard scores just would not improve. We bench rested my rifle and he shot 10 rounds. I got into prone position and shot 10 rounds. The group size was the same and scored about 90 percent. I ordered a new Winchester .308 Marksman Target rifle. Starting the very next match, my 300 yard scores stared averaging about 98 percent with an occassional 100 thrown in and my 600 yard scores improved enough to give me 3rd Expert in the country at the National Championships. After about 3500 to 4000 rounds, my scores would start dropping, and having a new Douglas Ultra Match or HART barrel fitted always brought my scores back up.

Aren't you glad shotgun barrels dont need replaced at 4000 shots!

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
I do not think that is possible with a shotgun, or most pistol caliber rounds. I would say that nearing 100 yards you are at the edge of ammo capability. The pipe it is coming out of is not holding you back. (unless you want an excuse for a new gun)

I Know it is possible to out shoot a rifle, specifically the barrel. The difference is that proper .308 rifle ammo can be reliable out to 1000 yards and I was having trouble at 600 yards. I was training and my scores in National Match shooting just kind of stopped improving. Even had an experienced coach look over my positions. My 600 yard scores just would not improve. We bench rested my rifle and he shot 10 rounds. I got into prone position and shot 10 rounds. The group size was the same and scored about 90 percent. I ordered a new Winchester .308 Marksman Target rifle. Starting the very next match, my 300 yard scores stared averaging about 98 percent with an occassional 100 thrown in and my 600 yard scores improved enough to give me 3rd Expert in the country at the National Championships. After about 3500 to 4000 rounds, my scores would start dropping, and having a new Douglas Ultra Match or HART barrel fitted always brought my scores back up.

Aren't you glad shotgun barrels dont need replaced at 4000 shots!

Well Yea. After 3,500 to 4,000 rounds of .308 your pattern is going to open up.

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
He's 97 yards from the house, so it's more like a 115- 120 yard shot, unless he's riding the target.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
There's people who post here with imaginary tales of their shooting prowess. One guy claims to have not shot a shotgun for 5 years, picked up a 26" side by side and shot 100 straight. These are sad cases and probably shouldn't be ridiculed. Not like those on here who can't stop telling us how good they once were.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Well your going to look long and hard for any shotgun that will hold a pattarn at 100 yards that a target can't get through.

·
Premium Member
5,562 Posts
Maybe the op is George Digweed. Check out some of his u-tube videos.

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
So looking at the basics over the past few years shooting say ATA/PITA you have achieved the 27 yard line with your BPS.How is you ave. on singles and doubles?? If it is working for you great then do not change but just think what you would be able to do with a higher quality more adjustable shotgun...... I do a lot of patterning esp. this time of year and would love to see what your extra fulls look like on the pattern board at 97 yards but I would think you would definitely have to compensate for shot drop..... then again the troll factor for this thread is very high ;)

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
I can see "outshooting" a rifle, but that simply means the rifle was either not accurate enough in the first place or you've worn the barrel out.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts