Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bird hunting last weekend with a long time hunting partner. It was a lousy day, start raining when we uncased the guns and didn't stop. The dogs worked well but our shooting left a lot to be desired. I've hunted with this guy for thirty plus years and even if one of us missed a bird the other one wouldn't. Well we missed several on this outing on the drive home we pondered what went wrong. His thought: the rain was deflecting or distoring the shot patterns? I said can't we just admit that we both shot like we'd never fired a shotgun before? We both said no way we both missed three birds when we were backing each other up. So could the rain have deflected our shot patterns? We were both shooting 6's no 7 1/2 or 8's

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Bruce, unless it's a driving rain storm that would severely affect your ability to not see, no, it won't bother the charge enough to miss. Rain bothers the shooter much more than the equipment, especially 6s and larger. The same with a clay target, the lead looks different on very cloudy or rainy day. On such days, it seems to take a tad more "seen" lead to connect. I'd guess that's what got both of you guys in the rain?

Hap

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hap, Can I have the lure back? Just kidding neither of us really believe that the rain could distort the pattern that badly byt thought I'd ask

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I really have to be careful out in the rain because I might melt!! :)

tony

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Rain packs down the feathers and your shot was bouncing off.

Use #4's in the rain. Just be thankful you did not cripple any of the little birdies.

Don Verna

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.