·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I beat the crap out of myself last week--

1) shoot 300targets on Wed
2) worked out with my personal trainer on Thurs
3)shot 250 targets on Fri
4) shot at 200 targets onSat---couldn't focus my eyes--my worst scores in 10 years
5) tried to shoot on Sun gave up after 50 mtargets

I'm 71--guess age is catching up, right hand was swollen due to arthritis--eyes were angering all over

Hope if don't have to take up ping pong

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
759 Posts
Phil, I'm right eye dominant until I get tired. Then I don't know for
sure when the left eh will take over, but it will sooner or later. It's hell to get old. I had the retina in my left eye detach in Sept. No telling how that will affect my shooting. Larry

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Phil,
When you are 50 or older the brain cannot store enough nutrient on board to get you "mentally" through a 300 bird program, let alone the physical exhaustion. This is a fact not opinion. p.m. me your email address and I will let you know what works for me. Scott

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Are your eyes still having focusing problems today? If so, get to a doctor.

It could be a sign of several problems, and not necessarily the eyes themselves.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I'm not sure about exhaustion or dehydration but whiskey will. Also I'm glad to say that the other reputed cause my parents warned me about has been summarily debunked.

Darr

·
Premium Member
18,784 Posts
Your only supposed to do it until you need glasses.

·
Banned
996 Posts
Sure does at least once a week when I go home I end up going to the neighbor ladies house instead of mine. Hmmm but then again maybe it's not because of my eye's I can't remember. Age will do that right?

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
whiskey always made some (sweet little) thing look better, until dawn anyway.

·
Registered
374 Posts
SCOTT: Send me your facts that a person over 50 can not preform in a 300 bird event. I'm 63 and look forward to 300 and 400 bird events. Mentally and physically I'm doing just fine ~ Mich

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It was a medical research report that stated when you are over 50 the average brain cannot store enough energy, with out supplementation, to shoot a 300 bird event. Meaning if you do not eat high energy foods during the shoot, mental fatigue could be your enemy. Scott

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
I have heard people say they are so tired they cannot see straight. I believe that is possible.

When I was a bench tech for Westinghouse, I would leave work and got to college. By the time I finished my last class at 10 PM, my eyes were so tired I could not focus as far as the end of the hood, and I was driving a little Mustang then. The eye Dr actually made me a pair of glasses with a stronger prescription so I could drive home at night.

I believe that eyesight is affected by fatigue.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Keep in mind when they talk about oxygen, your eyes are on the end of the line as far as getting it, so they stress taking deep breaths. Well if that is the case, with nutrient could very well be similar. What is the hardest day for you, physical work or metal work. For me I am the most exhausted after a long day of mental challenge, physical is more manageable. I am 52. Scott

·
Registered
126 Posts
Phil,

At our age we only have a small amount of time to laser onto the target. Heck, at any age but especially at ours. If there is a dominance issue the harder we are looking at the target the less the affect. If we could truly keep the barrel out of the equation then dominance would be a mute issue. (Let's not beat this dead horse)

As we fatigue it becomes harder to concentrate on the target and easier to increase our conscious relationship with the barrel. Now if there is a dominance issue the more we see of the gap the more it affects our perceived leads and the more we feel like the other eye is taking over.

I firmly believe that there is little affect of dominance with fatigue but it brings dominance issues that already exist more to the forefront. I think this is most prominent with the shooter that has a mild central cyclopean position (like between the nose and his right eye).

As he becomes more aware of the lead he needs more lead for a hard right and less lead for a hard left (shooting right handed). As long as there's laser focus on the target and the conscious barrel is minimized everything is fine.

Even if there is no dominance issue at all, fatigue affects our ability totally concentrate on the target and makes it easier to look at the gap and that ain't good. Hope this makes some sense..........Rich

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Eye focus is controlled by muscles. Hence when you are tired, the eyes don't focus as well. I thought everyone knew this. LOL

Rick in MT

·
Banned
958 Posts
Idoc, how did you went to eye dominance conclusion, when:

" Ok guys I beat the crap out of myself last week--

1) shoot 300targets on Wed 2) worked out with my personal trainer on Thurs 3)shot 250 targets on Fri 4) shot at 200 targets onSat---couldn't focus my eyes--my worst scores in 10 years 5) tried to shoot on Sun gave up after 50 mtargets

I'm 71--guess age is catching up, right hand was swollen due to arthritis--eyes were angering all over

Hope if don't have to take up ping pong "

It may be a cross firing due to fatigue but not eye dominance shifting!

Just curious, what technique do you use to ignore the gun's barrel once the gun is mounted and is in the peripheral vision.

I tried to ignore the barrel, but anywhere i turn my eyes the barrel is there?

Thank you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts