Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:
On Friday I received an email from the Social Security Administration Telling me that they are adding another layer of Security which involves sending me a secret code by text. If someone does not have a phone with the text feature your SOL and you will not be able to obtain your information by computer any longer.

I called the local television station telling them that this hurts seniors who do not have the text feature or does not know how to text.

This morning the same local television station emailed me wanting to know if I would be willing to be interviewed about this situation on television? I declined and told them I already sent my Senator Tammy Baldwin a letter.

Below is a copy of the actual letter that I received. The bad part about this is it takes forever waiting on hold if you have a question with SS. Forget about writing as that takes forever for a response.

Starting in August 2016, Social Security is adding a new step to protect your privacy as a mySocial Security user. This new requirement is the result of an executive order for federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services. Any agency that provides online access to a customer’s personal information must use multifactor authentication.

When you sign in at ssa.gov/myaccount with your username and password, we will ask you to add your text-enabled cell phone number. The purpose of providing your cell phone number is that, each time you log in to your account with your username and password, we will send you a one-time security code you must also enter to log in successfully to your account.

Each time you sign into your account, you will complete two steps:

• Step 1: Enter your username and password.
  • Step 2: Enter the security code we text to your cell phone (cell phone provider's text message and data rates may apply).
The process of using a one-time security code in addition to a username and password is one form of “multifactor authentication,” which means we are using more than one method to make sure you are the actual owner of your account.

If you do not have a text-enabled cell phone or you do not wish to provide your cell phone number, you will not be able to access your mySocial Securityaccount.

If you are unable or choose not to use mySocial Security, there are other ways you can contact us. To learn more, please review the Frequently Asked Questions found he

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
I went on this morning and tried it, typed the cell # in and it replied unable to perform task at this time, what a Joke......

·
Registered
29,264 Posts
Because you have employees in their 20-30's thinking this nonsense up.

Reactions: 9manfan

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
They want to catalog your personal information, linking the SSA computer to your personal phone conversations. Many people have pay by the month phones that do not have a direct tie to your name/address/ SSN. Just more over reach by big brother dressed up like they really care about you.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you use Verizon for your provider you will get A message when you try to log on telling you they are having an issue with the Verizon service and are working on A fix. Happened to me about an hour ago.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Steve......we haven't seen this letter yet. I wonder if it's nationwide or regional. I'll try my account when I get off my butt and find my security notes. H'mmmm.

Ernie

·
Registered
133 Posts
My dads account was hacked they sent his money to a card
Took several calls and trips to get it fixed. Plus finally getting to someone who could replace the money. His can only be changed in person now

·
Registered
839 Posts
Steve.....we've used the myaccount several times this year. All info there, no text stuff needed. Just looked on the SS website and the first requirement to set up an online account IS to have a cell phone to receive a text. We did not have this requirement. Could this be a newbie requirement as your wife is plying her troth with them...or does it affect you to. Yeah, I'm still sitting on my butt.

Ok, I got up...got my entry info AND can't get to my account without receiving a text code via cell phone, to then enter for access. I Checked....no cell phone.....and I was redirected to access them via 800 phone number. Doo dah.....

Well, there we are.

Ernie

·
Premium Member
8,008 Posts
Senior, it's probably the brother of the painter you hired trying to mess with you. LOL Somebody like that has got to have a relative in the federal government. You know he's back from vacation now and ready to do what big government employees like to do. That being screwing with the people to make life harder. I'd watch my back.

Aloha

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Steve -

It may all seem unnecessary, but let me assure you that it's not. I work in Information Technology for a large financial services firm that handles billions of dollars every day, and security is front and center of everything we do. Some of it is regulatory in nature, some is driven by internal auditors and general good business practices. But in today's age of sophisticated criminals, not having the right level of security can jeopardize your entire business (and I realize Social Security is not a private business, but it's the same concept). The days of simple passwords are way behind us, and you should seriously consider the safety and security of your information if you deal with entities that don't require something more sophisticated.

The alternative is that you find out you have no money in your bank account, someone else is getting your social security check, or someone just cashed in your life insurance policy. And all because they could figure out your six-character password that's probably your wife's name or the street you live on or something else that a sophisticated hacking system can some up with in microseconds.

Two Factor Authentication (or 2FA as it's known) adds a level of physical security to transactions that are not physical (i.e. using the internet to transfer funds, purchase goods, etc). The passcode that shows up on your mobile device is something that can't be known to anyone in advance, and more importantly it requires your physical presence to receive it.

Bottom line . . . it's the world we live in and it's not going to change.

Scott

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Scott, I too work in Information Technology and the auditors and security are making it almost impossible to do anything which includes fixing things. I do support and even if things don't work, you are not allowed to fix it unless you get about 10 people to say OK and have all the documentation on how you can prove that it is ok.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Frosty -

Two different things, although still part of the overall security of information systems.

Internal security is also tight in order to prevent unintended changes, employees going rogue, and satisfying all of the various auditing requirements to make sure that changes are not made without proper risk assessment. You can't just turn over the keys to a database, server, or network to an employee. That's one of my areas, risk assessment prior to allowing changes to happen. Companies have to be very tough on internal security, as failures can have the same impact to the business as failures in external security. It's even tougher if you are in a regulated industry, such as financial services, as there can be severe consequences for not following approved procedures.

Scott

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
scott calhoun:
Thanks for the info. All I ever heard was how computers would make our lives so much easier. In my opinion, all it ever did was create a new set of problems and allow employers to spy on their employees. I do not think that I was ever meant to be living this this day and age.
Steve

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
It worked this morning........................

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Steve -

Spy is a strong word, and remember there is no expectation of privacy when you are at work (unless you work for yourself, I guess). Most of the "spying" that you refer to is just a company trying to protect its assets, customers, and reputation. I could tell you stories that you wouldn't believe, and had it not been for the "spying" it could have been 10 or 100 times worse for the company. And if you don't think "spying" at your place of business was going on before the age of computers, you are probably mistaken.

Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts