Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my question: If I decide to go to the Grand and I have not shot since 85 and I join the ATA this or next week, can I play the money?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Sure.

The only restriction on playing options comes if you shoot "targets only."
Partially correct, I think that your yardage will begin from where you left off, plus since you do not have the 1000 targets for this year you will shoot penalty yardage from there or program not less than 25 yard. Same thing with Singles and Doubles you will shoot penalty yardage. However, if you are a Senior Vet, 70 or older, penalties are waived.

If you shoot current yardage and class you will be shooting "targets only" and you will not be allowed to play the options and/or be eligible for trophies.

Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I last shot 27 yard line so they can't penalize me no more, so since I do not have any targets registered and at 68 years old it would be targets only then. Hmm, now I really got to give this some thought. It's a six hour drive to the Grand...what a shame since I now only live 20 minutes from Vandalia.

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
I last shot 27 yard line so they can't penalize me no more, so since I do not have any targets registered and at 68 years old it would be targets only then. Hmm, now I really got to give this some thought. It's a six hour drive to the Grand...what a shame since I now only live 20 minutes from Vandalia.
Why do you think you have to shoot targets only?

You won't be shooting penalty yardage, so that's not a reason.

There's also no reason not to shoot penalty class for singles or doubles; you're going to have to shoot a AA (or AAA) score to win no matter what your class is.

So go to the Grand and shoot. Play some options if you want.

And have fun.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Agree with V10.

My take is that you will be classified on the 27 yard line and be allowed to play the options.

The other caveat is how are you shooting. If you have not been shooting practice, a trip to the practice range will let you know if it will be worth playing the options. As V10 stated for Singles and Doubles you need to be shooting at least AA scores to win. As for Handicap you need to be averaging 24/25 to be competitive.

Jason

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason, think I need to call the ATA on this one. As far as how I'm I shooting? Well I just purchased a used TM1. Only shot about 100 non registered targets. My last practice was a total of 50 targets, 25 singles and 25 from the 27. Missed the first singles target then ran the next 49 which included the 25 from the 27.

Rick

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Rick,

Sounds like you are just a little rusty. With a practice like that I would be wondering about playing the options too.

Do call the ATA to confirm that you will be on the 27 and allowed to play the options.

Do another practice round of 100 Singles and 100 Handicap to make sure that you still have the stamina for a full round.

Jason

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Why couldn't you play the options and be eligible for trophies?

I do not have my minimums this year either but I fully intend to shoot for trophies and play options. I'll have to shoot penalty.

You are already on the 27 so they can't push you back any further on handicap. For singles and doubles, they will put you in a higher class but you are 100% eligible to play the options and shoot for trophies. In fact, a totally brand new shooter could join the ATA at the Grand and play all options as well as shoot for trophies.

No need to call the ATA.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless I'm reading it wrong, on page 37 of the rule book under GA qualifications, I have to forfeit all monies and trophies and shoot targets only? I agree about i'm already as far back as one can go, can't hurt a piece of cake that's already been cut.

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
Unless I'm reading it wrong, on page 37 of the rule book under GA qualifications, I have to forfeit all monies and trophies and shoot targets only? I agree about i'm already as far back as one can go, can't hurt a piece of cake that's already been cut.

Read that part of the Rule Book again. We've already established that you are not subject to the handicap penalty since your assigned yardage is further back than 25 yards, thus you will not "be classified to shoot Handicap events at less than 25.0 yards." Therefore, none of the rest of that paragraph applies to you.

A. GRAND AMERICAN QUALIFICATION

No participant shall be classified to shoot Handicap events at less than 25.0 yards unless he/she has a minimum of 1000 registered Handicap targets in the current year. The 1000 handicap targets must have been registered since September 1 of the previous year and not later than the day preceding the first day of the Grand American World Trapshooting Championships. However, participants who fail to meet Grand American Handicap qualification as described above shall have the choice of shooting targets only from their assigned yardage provided they waive and forfeit all rights to trophies, options, purses, and added money. Handicap target requirements are waived for Senior Veterans, making them eligible for trophies and monies.
This is the same statement that is in the Grand Program.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Go to the Grand, pay your dues, and if you believe that you can be competitive play the options of your choice.
Have a "Grand" time...

Sportalluring

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Sounds like someone looking for an excuse to not go to the Grand.......you can play any options that you wish.

Good Luck & let us know how you liked it!

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
You could always take another person, a box of clays & a hand thrower to Vandalia & shoot to your hearts content........at least until you got arrested for trespassing!

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
If you decide to play the options--make sure your check is payable to Harlan Campbell--options are the biggest sucker bet in all sports-shoot to enjoy the sport--not to make money

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
764 Posts
Big scores for me are rare, If I break a good score it always seems that someone breaks a great score, I still play the money at big shoots, Just in case I shoot a great score. If you can afford it, play them, if they hit you will have a hell of a story to tell. Good luck and I sure wish I had the chance to go!!!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
If you decide to play the options--make sure your check is payable to Harlan Campbell--options are the biggest sucker bet in all sports-shoot to enjoy the sport--not to make money

Phil Berkowitz

Lol why not shoot to win Phil. Is being mediocre ok? By the way I shot off with Harlen in the last cap last year so your "make check payable" statement it complete bullsh!t.

Why do you shoot Phil?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts