Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to learn doubles with this gun two years ago with little success so I put doubles on the back burner. I’m ready to try again so I took it to the pattern board this morning. The gun is a S682X made in 1986. It has 30” barrels and fixed chokes, IM on the bottom and Full on top. I took three shots with each barrel using a “homemade shooting stick” from a paced off 13 yards. Yes, I know this does not meet Neal’s stringent requirements. The bottom row is the bottom barrel and the top row is the top barrel. Brilliant, right? I am attributing the discrepancies in the left most shot for each barrel to operator error. But I think it is clear that the top barrel shoots higher than the bottom barrel and shoots left of the POA. I’m thinking I may be OK for doubles if I move the comb to the right just enough to “split the difference” with the bottom barrel. This would make the bottom barrel shoot slightly right and the top barrel slightly left. I would also need to shoot top barrel first, even though it is choked tighter, since it shoots higher than the bottom barrel.

I’m looking for opinions on whether I can make this work. It seems the only other options are to send it out for $$$ barrel work or find a new gun. Thanks to anyone who cares to weigh in on this!
Denny K.

CFC11B48-7802-4504-B2F4-EA1ABF85E517.jpeg

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
If you split that difference a little more, pushing the bottom barrel right, you'd be better off because you can hold for the first target...the second one however, you'll be chasing it and if it's not shooting where you look you'll have a hell of a time.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you split that difference a little more, pushing the bottom barrel right, you'd be better off because you can hold for the first target...the second one however, you'll be chasing it and if it's not shooting where you look you'll have a hell of a time.
Thanks for the reply WadHopper. I guess part of my question is, does the top barrel shoot so far left that it’s unworkable even with the comb moved over.

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
Thanks for the reply WadHopper. I guess part of my question is, does the top barrel shoot so far left that it’s unworkable even with the comb moved over.
Short answer...yes, it's junk. Get a new gun.
Long answer, maybe you can make it work, depends on how far you can manage to move your comb BUT it'll always be in your head now so it's still junk and you need a new gun.

·
What squad am I on?
8,040 Posts
You didn’t read my whole post then, did you Wad!? ;)
Comprehension was distorted by your picture. Happens every time....
I will say though, even if you bench that I would suspect there won't be much of a difference. <<<HOWEVER>>>> if there's not a difference, I'd do a quick choke tube swap on the barrels and see if it changes anything. I had one that looked a little better when I went from factory to Muller but it was still so bad I sent the gun back for new barrels.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will say though, even if you bench that I would suspect there won't be much of a difference. <<<HOWEVER>>>> if there's not a difference, I'd do a quick choke tube swap on the barrels and see if it changes anything. I had one that looked a little better when I went from factory to Muller but it was still so bad I sent the gun back for new barrels.
Sigh......
Fixed chokes Wad.

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
No tubes. Fixed choked.

Reactions: WadHopper

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
Oh my god...I give up. Brain is fried from waaaay too many things going on at one time. Count me out fellas, I dun made me look like a foo.
But. But. But. Where are the foo fighters when you need one? Hell, they done went for coffee and a cinnamon roll.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Years ago I bought a used DB81 O/U for Doubles cuz I really like the TMX for Singles and Caps. The bottom barrel was great for POI but the Top barrel POI was low and 8" to the left at 30 yards. I struggled with that damned gun for over a year even wasted money on a new stock. I finally took the DB81 back to the store where I bought it and waited about a year to get a Grade III Citori Trap gun that had proper barrel regulation and I could finally enjoy shooting Doubles again.

·
Registered
22,874 Posts
The problem is that the new pattern board at Robinson Ranch is 6 ft from GL to center of board. From a bench I would be aiming up quite a bit.
You don’t need a formal patterning board for the 13 yard POI test. You aren’t looking for/or at, a pattern. Just something to hold a piece of indicating paper at a fixed 13 yards ( from the muzzle ) so you can, from a SOLID benchrest position, tell the point of impact of each barrel.

Try again from a solid rest and it will tell you more. Those results don’t match any 13 yard results I’ve fired from either an IM or a F choke.

Reactions: Old_Diabetic_100

·
Premium Member
1,895 Posts
Find a gun that has both barrels shooting in the same spot that will fit you. I've had a dozen Browning O/Us that would a
pattern properly.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,243 Posts
I will agree that shooting off a bench is critical.

But I don’t think the left-right is going to change much, since all three shots are left and the other barrel, while different height, shot straight for left and right.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You don’t need a formal patterning board for the 13 yard POI test. You aren’t looking for/or at, a pattern. Just something to hold a piece of indicating paper at a fixed 13 yards ( from the muzzle ) so you can, from a SOLID benchrest position, tell the point of impact of each barrel.

Try again from a solid rest and it will tell you more. Those results don’t match any 13 yard results I’ve fired from either an IM or a F choke.
Part of the problem most likely is that the cardboard was clamped to a steel pattern board so I’m sure there is some blowback reflected in the results.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts