Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When testing some new loads with a Browning Citori 26"full choke avg FPS 1289. Retested last night Rem 1100 32" full avg 1368. I'm trying for a avg. of 1325 7/8 oz load 7.5 shot

·
Premium Member
11,839 Posts
Yes, even if the same model.

·
Registered
22,778 Posts
So if I want 1325 I should test fps with the gun that would be shooting those rounds.

If you want 1325 select a published 1325 load and load it. Chronographs have messed with the heads of some very good shooters.

Don T

Reactions: AA Ron

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't find one for 700x so just playing around with some modified 1oz load data just found it odd that the speed changed that much from one gun to the next. New post on reloading
Thanks

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
I can't find one for 700x so just playing around with some modified 1oz load data just found it odd that the speed changed that much from one gun to the next. New post on reloading
Thanks
If the targets disappear they're fast enough-like buying a MB SLS--fast enough to get you a jail sentence or killed in any of the 50 states

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
770 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the same loads shot through the same shotgun/choke over the same chronograph gave different velocity on different days. The chrono set-up, height of shot above sensors and distance to muzzle will all affect fps; not to mention temperature of the shells, humidity, direct sunlight / partial shade, etc. -Ed

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
The best method I believe is to shoot factory shells in the same gun, your testing your loads in, at the same time. It will take out many variables that can be with different sets of parameters on different days and setups of the chronograph. Shell manufacturers have absolutely controlled environments with test barrels in a laboratory setting to make shells. Using their ammo as a standard you can duplicate their loads despite what the readings show of your testing. If you feel your loads are equal, using quality shot, then there is really no advantage in shooting factory shells anymore. I shoot factory shells on handicap so if I win there can never be a question on my shells and I need a source for new hulls. I also have slightly more confidence in factory shells at the distance I shoot from. I have shot the same shells in different guns with velocity variables from barrel lengths and other factors.

Most people can watch and see a shooter using above the maximum shells with recoil and sound. Nothing like a shooter shooting porch loads of Longshot with more speed and recoil than normal. It makes no sense in the first place but this is a sport of mind games within our own heads. Don't let a chronograph drive you half nuts and put it away at the first sign of trouble.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Couldn't a post that mentions reloading be posted in shooting related?
Got to watch your step around here lately.
Bill

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe testing is done with 30" barrels at the Factory to get the published fps. For each additional inch add 10'/sec and each inch less than 30" you subtract 10'/sec for what you should be seeing for speed. Don't have any idea where I saw this, but it was a long, long time ago. I believe it to be fairly accurate. However, some of my beliefs have been screwed up before......

Jim

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
The 1100, being a gas operated autoloader, bleeds of a portion of the propellant gas to operate the auto feed mechanism. Bleeding off part of the gas charge reduces velocity of the shot. Perhaps not enough to notice when shooting but certainly measurable. Marc

·
Registered
206 Posts
I believe testing is done with 30" barrels at the Factory to get the published fps. For each additional inch add 10'/sec and each inch less than 30" you subtract 10'/sec for what you should be seeing for speed. Don't have any idea where I saw this, but it was a long, long time ago. I believe it to be fairly accurate. However, some of my beliefs have been screwed up before......

Jim
Wouldn't ported barrels also modify the speed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts