Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking for a recommendation for a relatively inexpensive camera to take detailed pictures of gun parts.

I have seen many great pictures on TS and wonder what kind of cameras are being used. I don't have a lot of photography or computer skills so I am looking for something that is simple and will take close up pictures.

Thanks

·
Vendor
2,111 Posts
Almost any kind of point and shoot or DSLR will work.

Background contrast is a key item.

For closeups, use the macro mode and be very still.

Iphone cameras and ipad cameras are more than suitable with practice.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Besides focus and depth of field, lighting is critical. You need indirect lighting of some type. If you can, shooting outdoors is probably the easiest

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Any camera will work. Take your pictures outside using indirect light. Also use a neutral background with no clutter. Do not take pictures with the following in the background:

Gramma's Quilt, Couch, Bed Sheet or Kitchen Table.

Grampa's Work Bench, Dark Indoor Panelling or on his Dark Noghahide Chair from 1962.

If your pictures do not turnout right the first time, retake them. Lousy pictures will actually hurt the value of your item and will cause you great frustration with people asking you for better pictures.
Take extra time and take more pictures of the gun than you think nessesary. Do not take pictures from great distances as your gun will only look like a rumor and will cause a great group of tire kickers to just cause you grief.

Hopefully, you see the humor in this post but find what I am writing usefull.

Good luck,

Rich Bullard, Jr. 1-775-742-2843

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
When I did my research I kept hearing NIKON NIKON and NIKON. I have been very pleased with any Nikon camera that I have bought.

·
Registered
268 Posts
May I suggest you go to a material store and buy a couple of pieces of felt cloth (light and a darker gray) on which to put your subjects. This will take a lot of variables out of the picture. You might also get a piece of poster board and glue another piece of felt to use as a backdrop when necessary. I frequently use blue. Sample below.
proofdoubles_2011_280383.jpg

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rich Bullard's advice is spot-on.

Taking photos outside (indirect, natural light) is the cheapest, easiest way to get better pictures of gun parts.

Some of the newer smartphones (iPhone 5, Nokia Lumia, etc) take remarkably good photos.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not related to what camera to buy, how to protect it. I had a good point & shoot camera that my wife had in her purse for approx. 1/2 hr. When I took it out to use it the screen was damaged. A hard object in my wife's purse cracked the screen and I had to throw it away. When I purchased a new camera the camera store recommended that I buy a screen protector. This is a hard clear piece of unbreakable plastic that covers the screen and protects it from damaged. You can get them for under $10.00. Good investment, which I had been using one before.

Ed Fish
Racine, WI

1 - 11 of 11 Posts