Trapshooters Forum banner

Caliper adjustment?

4295 Views 23 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  shotgunpeople
This caliper is half a turn out of time. Anyone know how you go about adjusting it back to zero when completely closed? I can spin the dial to zero but then the reading is upside down.

Watch Gauge Barometer Clock Measuring instrument
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Premium Member
877 Posts
This caliper is half a turn out of time. Anyone know how you go about adjusting it back to zero when completely closed? I can spin the dial to zero but then the reading is upside down.

View attachment 1746790
There is a gear rack under that cover that also serves as the depth gauge. You got some crap in the gear rack and it made the pinion jump out of time. No use fixing the dial until you clean the rack.

· Registered
17,360 Posts
I have a Helios vernier like that. Since 1966.......Also have the resettable dial like the OP, also have the Ten Dollar Harbor Freight digital. (that one gives me the most crap. constant resetting and battery kerfluffle. ) I seem to use the resttable dial one the most. Or whichever one is closer.
The resettable one I have is from Hornady, looks like remove thumbwheel, take 2 tiny screws out and reset the carrier.

HM

· Premium Member
1,153 Posts
That’s just a cheapy that I bought in the mid-70’s at Yontz’s Hdwe Store in Chrisman, IL. Prolly less than $20?? Needed something to measure OAL on .22-250 brass and loads. Found myself using it quite a bit over the years.

· Premium Member
1,364 Posts
This is what the tool that came with my dial caliper. It appears to be copper and is .006" thick. You open your caliper and slide this onto the gear rack. You then move you caliper until the needle quits moving, then move a little more and pull the shim out. It may take a couple of try's to get the needle back to the top. Regards Bob
Wood Nail Circle Screw Font

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Some of the cheaper models will go out of adjustment and cannot be reset. 42 years in manufacturing and have seen lots of the cheap brands. My Browne & Sharp can be adjusted as can the Starret.

Alan
Yes...
On my second week at the job in the mid 80's the boss gave me a brand new Mitutoyo dial calipers. He was not making any time with me reading the Starrett vernier calipers. I never dropped them and I used them every day until I retired, 32 years later.

I bought my B&S calipers around 1989. Still use them almost everyday.... machinists and engineers like to measure stuff.

6,495 Posts

View attachment 1746790
Use them lefty... there you go!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.