Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the days the California Indians held their shoots at the Del Monte Gun Club on the grounds of the Hotel Del Monte in Monterey California. The Hotel Del Monte was one of the finest luxury hotels in North America. A total of seven state shoots were held there from 1924 through 1930. The hotel lobby served as the clubhouse and with the connecting railways those shoots drew big crowds. To go back in time to relive those big shoots would be incredible experience. The grounds, the guns, the crowds and the shooters, it was truly a unique time in the history of trap shooting.

The hotel was eventually requisitioned by the U.S. Navy at the beginning of WW II as a pre-flight training school and eventually purchased by the Navy. The California Indians continued to shoot at Del Monte until WW II and after that the club moved towards Pacific Grove and became a much smaller private club.

The following are a few pins I wanted to share from the California Indians along with this brief history. The tomahawks are long run pins, one for 25 straight and the other more fancy one with the stone for 75 straight. The other seems to be a club pin. I have also included some images of the Del Monte shooting grounds and the hotel, WOW!

Bob

IMG_0447.jpg
IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg
Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown-2.jpeg
Unknown-3.jpeg
Beauties_of_California_(1883)_(14762391891).jpg

·
Registered
906 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing. I am a member of the Konne-Yaut Indians, a Western and Central PA mostly based organization. We have a great time, once a year, 1000 target program over 4 days.
I visited briefly with a Konne-Yaut squad at the Silver Dollar last week. They sure seemed to be enjoying themselves.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Shot California Indians several years as they had their main shoot in Reno @ Sagehill. Fun time. There's also a small group called the Makaha Indians that we shot in HI every January. Small, tiny compared to Cal Indians, but a great time.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Larger images

The fella on the right standing behind the line on the near field in very likely to be O.N. Ford
Orin N. “Hold On” Ford

Undated image at Del Monte. The gentleman mounting appears to have one of Bob's Ithacas :)

More California Gun Clubs
Pacific Rod & Gun Club membership
http://prgc.net/our-famous-shooters/
Los Angeles-Santa Monica Gun Club
A Life of Barbara Stanwyck
Hi Drew,

Thanks for the larger images, I was hoping you would come to the rescue on that!

What images with the cars in the background, really dates the picture. Also, the "landscaping" behind the 16 yard lines is very interesting.

Hey, that is my Ithaca! Be careful with it fella, I'll be taking care of it in about 100 years, so no scratches!

Bob

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From the L.A. Gun Club... Teeple Trophy. This trophy may have been presented by or in honor of Fred Teeple, an officer of the
California State Association...

Sportalluring

View attachment 1645337
That is some trophy Randy! Thanks for sharing. Now if you post a picture of that
A-2 in your trap cave we will have to talk!

Bob

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is not the California Indians but the Hiyu Indians. I believe this is a membership ladder, this one runs from 1967 to 1983. I need to research the Hiyu Indians and confirm if this is actually a membership ladder or something else. The ladder appears to be very well made and interesting with the Indian head, each feather being a year and the arrowhead/clay target at the end.

IMG_0575.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,421 Posts
Quote: Chief Red Cloud - Lakota Sioux:

The White Man made us many promises.
More than I can remember.
But he only kept one.
He promised to take our land...
And he took it!

Painful....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like the Hiyu Indian trapshooters are still alive and well in Spokane, WA, as founded back in 1934.

Some colorful history:

hiyuindians.com

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Back in the mid-1960s, I shot an Iowa Indians event at Des Moines as well as an Illini Indian shoot in Illinois...I think New Boston, but I don't recall for sure. The shoots were fun. You used provided shells, most good loads, but some of which were blanks, others black powder. Mostly regular targets, but a few loaves of bread and pounds of butter were thrown from the traphouse.

And there was plenty of partying besides shooting. Maybe more partying :)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Here are some photos for you guys I just took..this stuff was my Grandpas. The Green Pin in a Hiyu 25 Straight. The Head is a Makaha winner.

Attachments

Reactions: Bob Hamilton
1 - 20 of 35 Posts