Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please explain to me what a Calcutta is and how it works? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It is an option where shooters that paid the option fee are auctioned off to the highest bidder. Usually the Saturday before the main Handicap event on Sunday. the option fees and proceeds from the auction goes into a pot. The pot usually divides depending on the amount of shooters playing. If the shooter places then the pot is usually divided 70% to buyer and 30% to shooter of the pay out from the pot.

It is also called Special Event, because it is a form of gambling. I guess it is a technicality, it is still gambling no matter what you call it.

Jason

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Usually on big Handicaps. A shooters pays an "entry" fee and is placed in the Auction and Sold to the highest bidder. There is usually a minimum bid of the amount of the entry fee. If no one bids on the shooter he must put up the minimum bid on himself. The division can be any amount set by those running the Calcutta who can also set how many monies are paid. It usually runs 70/30 buyer/shooter. In the past it was often 60/40 but, they went to a higher amount for the bidders in order to get more bidders involved and run the amount in the pot bigger. For instance you might see a program advertising one as paying 3 places 60--30--10 paying 70/30 buyer/shooter ties divide . Which means the high score is given 60% of the "pot" divided 70/30 between the buyer /shooter. The second high score would take 30% of the pot divided 70/30 buyer/shooter, and the 3rd highest score would get 10% of the pot again divided 70/30 buyer shooter. Ties divide means for example in "any" of the top 3 scores who were in the Calcutta were TIED with any other buyer /shooter team they would split the money. For instance let's say there was a 98, then two 97s and one 96." IF" the two who shot the 97s were both in the Calcutta they would both split meaning that instead of getting a full 30% cut they would SPLIT the 30 % between them. Most Calcuttas are run with a live auction and are a lot of fun. Some are called Black Board events which are run like silent auctions with people walking up and putting their name or Bidder number with each increased bid on the board. Personally I think these are BORING as Hell and I dislike them!!! I much prefer open bidding . You don't see Calcuttas nearly as much anymore partly due to the fact in some areas they were considered "games of chance" and came under local gambling laws. In the old days you saw them at ALL the big shoots.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to you both!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I think the idea of changing the split might have backfired on them a bit. I know it kind of galls me to do all the work and if I do well only get 30 %. Seems most of the big Calcutta events have kind of went downhill. Jmho.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
1st- do you repay the bidder that got you when you shoot poorly
2nd- you have the option to bid on yourself, you don't have to split the winnings
The payouts are divided up and paid out by whomever is running the Calcutta. Of course you may bid on yourself. If you enter the calcutta and no one bids on you, you must pay the minimum and buy yourself anyway.
MG

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
When I ran a 20 squad shoot on a small range we would combine a short and long yardage shooter and sell them together. We also ran the Calcutta payout on a Lewis division, we would get over $7,000 on Saturday night auction for Sundays handicap. Nearly 100% participation, the happiest was the guy with an 87 that got $120 cause the long yardage shooter shot a 97!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Just participated in my first one last week. The buyer paid $30 for me and I tied for second highest score. I got $200 for my $20 entry and he got $400. A good deal all around for my first time.

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Thanks to you both!
You are welcome . BTW one thing I forgot to mention was a "WILD CARD" . In that case somewhere in the process , usually early on, bidders may bid on a wild card, meaning once they win that bid they can pick ANY shooter they wish. Those usually go for a pretty penny if there are some "Big Dogs" in the mix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts