Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22,876 Posts
$2250. But in the late ‘70’s and early ‘80’s there were rumors of higher bids.

Reactions: Suffdog

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Vernal in the 2007 through 2009 or so time frame had some very large special events. Many good shooters went for more than $10,000.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Back in the Phoenix Spring Grand days I saw Tony G spend $10,000 for 4 guys and none of them got in the money.

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
The water was so deep in that pond at that time that I was not a bidder. There was a lot of money in the special events for several years.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
I would like a education on Calcuta's as I have never been involved in one.
You buy into a Cal option just like you would for Louis or whatever.
All those participating are then “auctioned” off to the highest bidder.
You’re bidding on their chances at winning the event.
Typically the buyer gets 60% of the pot. Shooter gets 40%.
Once someone bids on a shooter, the shooter has the option to bid on themselves, the hope being they get 100% if they win.
If nobody bids on you, you’ll buy yourself at whatever the minimum bid is.
Best case scenario is you get yourself or a shooter cheap and you or they kick ass.
Worse case scenario is you pay a ton for a shooter who chokes.
A cal can be a fast way to part with your money. It’s also a great way to screw with your buddies if they don’t know you’re the one running them up...
Last cal I participated in ended with me being guilted into splitting my winnings with the shooter and I guarantee that’ll never happen again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sometimes the auctioneer will sell a "wild card". I've seen them go for a tidy sum, but never 4 digits.
I guess the bidders didn't have enough "liquid courage" yet. :018:

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
i heard one of the shooters in live pigeons sold for 20,000 dollars. That was the second day. The first day he sold for 10K. Our of my league

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
We had a gentleman come to a calcutta a few years ago nobody new carring a Mod.12 he bought himself and cleaned house,next shoot a good shooter bid him up high he lost his a$$ when he had to buy himself for $100.The shooter that bought him shoots a field grade 870 and cleaned his clock he is a heavy drinker and gambler and can shoot,he also has a trap gun that he never uses except for backup.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
This all sounds kind of crazy, so I could buy some one for $20 and potentially win thousands ? Or someone could buy Me without Me even knowing and I could get 40% ? You Guys must be some Gamblers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts