Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a trapshooter at a club in California. My trap gun is old (not registered). I have had it since the 70’s. I needed ammo and complete the initial $19 background check, passed and went back to purchase shells. No problem. A few weeks later, I returned, paid the $1 fee and my purchase was denied. No reason. I was told to contact DOJ/CFARS. It is impossible to contact them. If you call the number on the website, it’s a huge phone queue and lots of referrals to other numbers/websites. Believe me, I tried them all. A FFL person at my club told me that I needed to have a record/registered firearm on record in order to buy ammo, so I filled out the form, sent in $19 check on 8/29/19 and waited. The check was cashed on 9/5/19. On 9/28/19, I received a letter asking me to clarify where I got the 12 ga Beretta (from 1970’s). I indicated “spouse” and returned by mail the same day. It is now 2/13/20 and I haven’t heard anything. I can’t contact them by phone. You can’t talk to a person or email them to inquire. Basically, they took my money. I am so frustrated and don’t know what to do. I am just a recreational trap shooter, squeaky clean record, model citizen. I cannot buy ammo, except at my club. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a direct line to Sacramento? I have a feeling this has happened to others.

·
Banned
8,596 Posts
I am a trapshooter at a club in California. My trap gun is old (not registered). I have had it since the 70’s. I needed ammo and complete the initial $19 background check, passed and went back to purchase shells. No problem. A few weeks later, I returned, paid the $1 fee and my purchase was denied. No reason. I was told to contact DOJ/CFARS. It is impossible to contact them. If you call the number on the website, it’s a huge phone queue and lots of referrals to other numbers/websites. Believe me, I tried them all. A FFL person at my club told me that I needed to have a record/registered firearm on record in order to buy ammo, so I filled out the form, sent in $19 check on 8/29/19 and waited. The check was cashed on 9/5/19. On 9/28/19, I received a letter asking me to clarify where I got the 12 ga Beretta (from 1970’s). I indicated “spouse” and returned by mail the same day. It is now 2/13/20 and I haven’t heard anything. I can’t contact them by phone. You can’t talk to a person or email them to inquire. Basically, they took my money. I am so frustrated and don’t know what to do. I am just a recreational trap shooter, squeaky clean record, model citizen. I cannot buy ammo, except at my club. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a direct line to Sacramento? I have a feeling this has happened to others.
I can only make a suggestion.
Move as fast as you can. Get the hell out of that Communist Country. It's only going to get worse.
MG

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just went through this. If have not purchased a new firearm since January 2014 you are not in the system. You have to go through this long ass process and provide cfars
A serial number of a gun you purchased within the last 40 yrs. They did not recognize
the info I gave them also. I was buying a new gun anyway so I just went that route.
This state 12+ways of &$#@ed up. It’s easier to buy the gun than ammo. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Serious thought & I don't know how this works in Cali but is reloading an option to avoid the hassel every time you want ammo? Do they also regulate component sales?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Just went through this. If have not purchased a new firearm since January 2014 you are not in the system. You have to go through this long ass process and provide cfars
A serial number of a gun you purchased within the last 40 yrs. They did not recognize
the info I gave them also. I was buying a new gun anyway so I just went that route.
This state 12+ways of &$#@ed up. It’s easier to buy the gun than ammo. Good luck.
I agree
Probably easier to buy an inexpensive but fun gun like a Ruger 10-22 or one of the 870 type shotguns. Then your in the system.

If you have time to search forums look on calguns. I have seen several treads about this.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
The biggest problem is its getting worse everywhere not just CA

And then your $15,000.00 combo gun won’t be worth 10 bucks.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I don't think it's getting worse nationwide but California stupidity is way out of control. I'd move and never look back as the politics are so corrupt there it will take decades to fix it. I'd vote in a second that California and New York should start their own country of screwed up Libtards. I'd even give them Chicago to round out the trio.

·
Thorn in your side
8,115 Posts
I have not seen any problems in any of the states that I shoot in accept Illinois.
MG
He just likes to try to make Commifornia sound better than it is by saying the problems are everywhere. They aren't at all. I have no problem buying any gun, ammo, or reloading components I want...but I live in the United States.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The same thing happened to a friend of mine
He tried to buy some shotgun shells to go pasture clay target shooting with his son. Filled out the application and was denied
He ended up buying a 10-22 just to get in the system so he could buy ammo.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
The Left is doing it everywhere. We may not live long enough to see it, but might be better off that we don’t.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts