Caesar Gurini Stock Finish | Trap Shooters Forum
  1. Recently members have been receiving an email about confirming their account. Do not click the link. If you have done so and entered your login information, change your password immediately, and ensure the email address on your account is correct. This is a phishing scam designed to take your login information. Details here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/confirmation-email-warning.694601/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Members are required to have 50 posts before using the Classifieds Area, or PM system to contact. Any subversion of these rules will result in action taken against your account. The rules are posted here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/rules-for-using-the-for-sale-by-members-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Caesar Gurini Stock Finish

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by m31m45, Sep 27, 2019.

1. m31m45

m31m45 Member

I know CG recommends boiled linseed oil for touching up their stock finish but I am having some problems getting a smooth finish.

I just bought a Forum Trap combo and one side of the stock was a little dull. I rubbed a very thin coat, 1 drop per side, of the linseed oil they sell in their stock refinishing kit and it took forever to dry. I subsequently found out that the stock needs to be at around 80 degrees to set up properly.

In applying several thin coats the stock developed what appears to be tiny, dull spots in the finish. This is on both sides of the stock and I put the stock in a hamper in a closest to keep dust off of it so not sure what these are from. I have twice sanded the surface down with fine grit sandpaper to remove the spots but 2 attempts to reapply more of the linseed oil and they do return. I only used about 1 drop per side of the stock and rubbed it in with my finger but still get the same issues.

Any suggestions before I give up and send it back to CG to have them work on it?

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Basically because CG finish isn’t actually oil, it’s a dull poly with a stain/filler, meant to look like an oil finish. Only way to really fix is to totally refinish.

460Ford and Charlie Becknell thanked this.
  3. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

One thing that you could check out is a product called Slippery Dicks gun stock wax. I've never used it but I have seen stocks it was applied to. Very impressed

4. Col. Bat Guacamole

Col. Bat Guacamole Banned User Banned

If you just bought the gun and the finish sucks send it back.

5. TORC12

TORC12 Well-Known Member

As Tron said the right way to fix you stock is to refinish it.

6. m31m45

m31m45 Member

The finish was Ok when I got it, just a little dull on one side. I made it worse with my initial attempt to make it look nicer due to my anal attention to details. I called CG and they are willing to take care of it but this should be relatively easy and I wanted to understand how to properly do it myself for future maintenance. Also did not want to spend the money to ship it back on something I should be able to do myself.

In talking with the gunsmith at CG he advised the dull spots are due to very small pieces of my skin coming off while rubbing in the oil. He suggested using a lint free cloth to wipe off the excess oil which would also take off the few particles of skin that stayed with each application of oil. I lightly sanded the surface to get rid of the spots and have applied several coats initially with my finger and then wiping off the excess with some old lint free eyeglass cleaning cloths that I have. Doing this has eliminated the small spots but each coat is very thin but they also dry faster so I can do additional coats after waiting 24 hours between coats. The finish is coming along, but still needs several additional coats, and looks much nicer and no small spots.

Bottom line is to apply one or 2 drops per side, rub it in with your finger, wipe off excess with a lint free cloth, and dry it in an environment that is low humidity and about 80 degrees if possible. I place it in a closet and use a small space heater to keep the temperature at around 80 degrees most of the day. This works pretty well.

7. DuckNut

DuckNut Well-Known Member

A latex glove will eliminate the skin issues as well.

Also, try a lightbulb as your heat source. If your space heater has a fan it is blowing dust onto it.

8. m31m45

m31m45 Member

Thanks for the extra tips. As far as the heater I put the stock in a wicker
    basket clothes hamper in the closet to keep the dust off.

9. MDshooterSam

MDshooterSam TS Member

:3schild40: clearly that is fake news.

10. Tron

Ok. So, if it’s really an oil finish (like CG wants you to believe), then try this: Put a scratch in the stock that’s into the wood. You should be able to simply sand it and apply the recommended oil, correct? Well, if you are stupid enough to do that, you’ll find that you’ve sanded through the stain/filler and when you apply oil, there will be a big discolored blob there. No matter how much you try, it WILL be there. Even if they just went with a stain and then an oil over, you should still be able to doctor it up and fool the eye...but you can’t.

They are using a stain/filler and an oil poly blend, similar to Tru-Oil.

11. MDshooterSam

MDshooterSam TS Member

Welp... there you have it then. That must be true. Despite what the MANUFACTURER says

[​IMG]

12. Tron

In my opinion, Ceasar Guerini is famous for blowing smoke up peoples asses and making them think that they’ve got something special when it’s just a polished turd. They really spend a ton on marketing and you can not pick up any clays magazine without seeing their full page adds.

Also, I think it’s really kind of cute at big shoots when they put their booths as close as they can to Kreighoff and Perazzi so that idiots will brand associate those guns with theirs.

But hey, if you think you’ve gotta winner, who’s to tell you otherwise?

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  13. MDshooterSam

MDshooterSam TS Member

Tron, thanks for providing my point.

Not sure what got in your craw to make you so butt hurt over this brand but I hope you have a better day. Sheesh.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    SDBigDog55 and Tron thanked this.
  14. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

May be because Tron does stock work for a living and knows what he’s talking about.

Tron thanked this.
  15. WadHopper

WadHopper What squad am I on?

Stupid alert!
    So I wanted a Summit because it felt like my Tristar but walked away based on your input here on the forum and my agreement with your assessment of their relentless marketing.
    Not being able to get anything else to match my style of shooting, and refusing to go back to Turkey, I bought a Summit combo. So far...absolutely thrilled with the decision to do so although I know it’s a step down in a few aspects, the finish being one.
    Several areas have dulled and I managed to put a lightning bolt scratch on the comb. No amount of oil is going to hide it and it’s only surface damage that didn’t get to the wood. And the reason I believe you’re right about the finish is because of the white residue that was on the rib (I inadvertently laid my comb against it in the case when swapping out the factory pad with a Microcell).
    The white “dust” residue tells me there’s something more than just oil so I’m inclined to agree with you.
    And you’re still a troll.

Tron thanked this.
  16. Don-mx3

Don-mx3 Well-Known Member

I shoot a MX-3 combo for ATA competitions, owned this longer than I care to admit. Have owned a couple of Ceasar Guerinis for several years. These guns are used heavily, for hunting and shooting at the clubs I belong to. Totally happy with them, shoot well and are trouble free. I use tru oil on the stocks, have had no issues with finish.

likes-to-shoot thanked this.
Search tags for this page

syren stock finish dull spots