Trapshooters Forum banner

Caesar Guerini Summit Trap Stock Finish Problem

2403 Views 35 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  dkals
I'm writing to warn potential buyers of Caesar Guerini guns. I bought the Summit Trap OU new. I had shot the gun twice (200 rounds total). It was sunny and hot the second day so I wore sunscreen as I'm blonde haired with blue eyes and skin cancer is a serious risk for me. The sunscreen had taken the finish (gloss) off the stock in the areas where my cheek pressed against the comb, the stock and over the comb. It looked horrible.

I contacted Caesar Guerini and spoke with their gunsmith about this. He informed me that this is a known issue due to the "hand rubbed oil finish". He offered me a one time stock touch up that I refused saying that the same thing would only happen again. He agreed and offered to sell me a touch up kit for about $40 containing boiled linseed oil (BLO). I declined that as well.

So I went to the local store and bought boiled linseed oil (less than $10) and after watching Caesar Guerini's web video on applying the BLO I spent a week applying it and then after it was dry put a Minwax paste wax on last per their video. Unfortunately next time out using the gun the same thing happened all over again.

I've owned many trap guns and never had this happen. I contacted the CG gunsmith again and he said many people send them out to get refinished. Are you kidding me? Send a new $6000 gun out to get refinished?

Well, that's what I had to do. It's been 6 weeks since I sent the gun out and I have no clue as to when I might get it back as everyone is very busy. The finish that's being applied is a conversion varnish that is supposedly impervious to sunscreen and is a finish that's very similar to what Browning puts on their guns so I've been told.

To say I'm disappointed and angry is an understatement. I will never buy another Caesar Guerini gun and may very well consider selling it or trading it in after I finally get it back. I just can't believe with all the Caesar Guerini guns out there that no one else has had this issue.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
1,796 Posts
You may want to change sunscreens since that was the cause of the damage. Check its ingredients and make sure another make/brand doesn’t contain the same. I’d be ticked off as well but the reality is you put a chemical on the stock without knowing if the ingredients of it would harm the stock finish. Good shooting, Rey

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sunscreen used was a major brand and when you compare the chemicals the sunscreens all contain pretty much the same stuff. There are essentially two types, one containing the chemicals that are more or less absorbed into the skin (this is the type I use) and the other contains zinc oxide that essentially sits on the skin (like paint). As I said I've owned many trap guns over the years and never had this problem with any of them.

· Sky Buster
4,484 Posts
The sunscreen used was a major brand and when you compare the chemicals the sunscreens all contain pretty much the same stuff. There are essentially two types, one containing the chemicals that are more or less absorbed into the skin (this is the type I use) and the other contains zinc oxide that essentially sits on the skin (like paint). As I said I've owned many trap guns over the years and never had this problem with any of them.
The same thing will occur with any brand of gun using a oil finish. I would not blame
Guerini for that. Get a gun with a synthetic finish such as Browning use's and you
should be ok. A stock maker could apply a synthetic spray finish to your gun.

· Registered
5,327 Posts
The same thing will occur with any brand of gun using a oil finish. I would not blame
Guerini for that. Get a gun with a synthetic finish such as Browning use's and you
should be ok. A stock maker could apply a synthetic spray finish to your gun.
Not sure about that. I refinished my 682 with orange oil (the real stuff) and it was fine with sunblock.

· Registered
417 Posts
The finish that's being applied is a conversion varnish that is supposedly impervious to sunscreen and is a finish that's very similar to what Browning puts on their guns so I've been told.
Just in case it matters, the conversion varnish finish SHOULD solve your problem. Done right, it's pretty impervious.

I have nother thought also.... NOT blaming you, but... Do you have acidic skin? My father had acidic skin, and we had to make sure any gun he touched was well wiped down after he touched it, or it would leave a rusty finger print the next day. He'd rub the print off if a magazine cover from reading it, and couldn't wear jewelry containing nickel or it would leave a green mark on his skin. My youngest daughter has the same problem. Acidic skin can take the finish off of all kinds of stuff. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck.
Mike

· Registered
417 Posts
I am a retired toolmaker and no I do not have acid skin.
Good, just a thought. Guerini finishes are beautiful, but they are thin, and not that durable. Good luck to you, I think you made the right decision on the finish.
Mike

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sky Buster may be right about the same thing happening with any gun with an "oil" finish. That I don't know.
But what I do know is what CG's gunsmith told me about their being aware of this problem, not communicating
the issue to their customers before the sale, and producing a product with this issue in the first place.

· Registered
417 Posts
On another thread running right now, "High gloss Maintenance" we talked about 3M Finesse-It II being a VERY fine polish. One thing I have learned about CG finishes, and like I said, they are beautiful oil finishes out of the factory, is to NOT use even that polish, even VERY lightly, or you will buff right through it and ruin a spot. They are just very thin, and not that durable. And yes, Sky Buster may be correct.
Mike

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my opinion, the company CG is willfully producing an inferior product in regards to their stock finishes durability, etc.
pocketing the money saved from producing guns with such finishes and keeping the customers in the dark about it.

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,638 Posts
Can you protect yourself from the sun by wearing a wide brim hat like a cowboy hat? I hate wearing any kind of sunscreen or insect repellent so I wear a big straw cowboy hat between events and a tilley hat when I shoot. I make sure to put side shields on my shooting glasses too when it's sunny. I'm not a sun worshipper by any means so I cover up as much as possible. If it's not too hot out I also wear a neck gaiter pulled up to the underside of my chin. If the mosquitoes and black flies are out I put a thermacel on my belt.

· Registered
Perazzi TMS/Browning Recoilless
1,638 Posts
Really good! I can't imagine fishing, hunting or shooting without it ever again. We set it on the floor between us in the boat or hang it on the frame between us in the duck blind and never get bitten. Trap shooting sometimes I'll just set it between my feet and pick it up as I move stations.

· Premium Member
312 Posts
I have a CG Summit and the exact same thing happened to mine. My face sweats a lot when I shoot so I assume it's from that. I don't often wear sun screen on my face. I tried a few times to rub oil on the spot on the stock (per CG's instructions) but it never really helped. I shoot it well, so I just don't notice it anymore.

I bought it in 2017 at the Grand and I have about 20,000 rounds through it. No other issues. It's my only complaint with the gun.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Common problem with CG’s finishes. I have a Summit Sporting that did the same thing. I put nothing on my face but usually have a one or two day growth beard. Just abrading the surface of the adjustable comb with whiskers was enough to haze the finish after its very first day of shooting. I’ve done all the things that you’ve read about to try and buff out the haze, but it’s useless.

It’s annoying and it shouldn’t happen, but I like the gun and shoot it well so I’ll put up with the finish problem. When I can’t stand to look at it anymore, I’ll have the furniture refinished.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.