Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabelas continues to amaze me with some decisions they make. Since Bass Pro they have turned into a fishing outlet, plus many changes I do not like. There has been several theads on this subject.
Today I call to buy a couple cases of Herters target shells and have them delivered to my home. I have done this for years, I live in Southern Illinois and never had an issue. The salesman on the phone said no more shipping ammunition to Illinois. I asked to speak to supervisor and a nice lady confirmed what he said.
I am not going to cancel my card yet because I may want a piece of clothing or something but I decided to not use it for anything but Cabelas a few times a year. I have been at Silver card status 3-4 years in past, and noticed the last bill ~ $2,000 from silver status again.

Unbelievable

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Being that I live in California I cant have ammo delivered to my home. Did for years. I never activated my new card.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Prolly has something to do with the fact that our illustrious state can't get FOIDs renewed within six months of application. We're told they're still valid, but out of state retailers that don't understand our gun laws (like anybody does), just see the expiration date on the card and assume it's void! I agree about Cabelas. Used yo be my go to place for outdoor wear and hunting gear. Those days are over.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Find a friend or relative in Wisconsin, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky or Indiana and have them delivered to them.

·
Banned
531 Posts
I also experienced the same thing a month ago, 4 months ago I ordered 3 Flats of Remington STS Premier 12ga, light target from Cabela's. Just tried to order more again and was told they no longer ship any ammo to NJ. 4 months ago they did and they told me its a new company policy for certain states? Talk about unfair? Who makes the decision what's states to ship to and what states not to? Told my wife cut her Cabela's Mastercard up and start using the Citi Double card and I have done the same.

Reactions: Dungannon

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
The decisions are made by the States‘ legislatures that pass bills making it difficult for a business to make a profit. There is a limit as to many hoops a business must jump through before it says “enough.” Don’t blame the business, blame the lawmakers in your State.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
One thing I have noticed in the past few weeks. Up until recently if you saw a gun in the gun library of any Cabelas they would ship it to your local store for $25.00. Now all purchases have to be in person, no more shipping from store-to-store.

·
Registered
721 Posts
They've slipped a ton going back to before Bass Pro took over. They're expensive, and when a decent price is put on something, Remington STS shells, for example, they don't have enough to get past a few hours of the sale. They love to lure a guy in, but leave a lot of people disappointed with their inability to follow through. I've pretty much written them off as a viable option for any of my shooting needs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have literally spent thousands of dollars at Bass Pro and Cabelas over the last 40 years. I’m done with them as they are just trying to push their own labeled junk. I cut up my Cards and refuse to even look at their flyers.

·
Banned
2,711 Posts
They've slipped a ton going back to before Bass Pro took over. They're expensive, and when a decent price is put on something, Remington STS shells, for example, they don't have enough to get past a few hours of the sale. They love to lure a guy in, but leave a lot of people disappointed with their inability to follow through. I've pretty much written them off as a viable option for any of my shooting needs.
Dunham's was and maybe still is, like that. I never go there because while they may have incredible prices, they never have inventory.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have literally spent thousands of dollars at Bass Pro and Cabelas over the last 40 years. I’m done with them as they are just trying to push their own labeled junk. I cut up my Cards and refuse to even look at their flyers.
Cabelas continues to amaze me with some decisions they make. Since Bass Pro they have turned into a fishing outlet, plus many changes I do not like. There has been several theads on this subject.
Today I call to buy a couple cases of Herters target shells and have them delivered to my home. I have done this for years, I live in Southern Illinois and never had an issue. The salesman on the phone said no more shipping ammunition to Illinois. I asked to speak to supervisor and a nice lady confirmed what he said.
I am not going to cancel my card yet because I may want a piece of clothing or something but I decided to not use it for anything but Cabelas a few times a year. I have been at Silver card status 3-4 years in past, and noticed the last bill ~ $2,000 from silver status again.

Unbelievable
I would speculate that most of us have been Cabala’s customers for many years, I was a customer for 30+ years until Bass Pro took over and knew this would eventually happen, Cabala’s exists in name only. The quality and customer service are gone, I’ve not made a purchase for the last 2-3 years.

·
Banned
531 Posts
The decisions are made by the States‘ legislatures that pass bills making it difficult for a business to make a profit. There is a limit as to many hoops a business must jump through before it says “enough.” Don’t blame the business, blame the lawmakers in your State.

I do understand where I live believe me. Unfortunately I understand. But there are many other companies that are still shipping ammo to my home in NJ, Sportsman Guide, as I just placed a order. So I will make a effort to support the ones that still ship to NJ and avoid and cut up the master card from others that don't (Cabela's) I have held the Cabela's card for well over 2 years, first the Visa and now Mastercard. NO LONGER. Im sure they could care less about my black credit card. But I will feel better inside.

Reactions: Dungannon

·
Registered
112 Posts
Admitted bass pro shopper here. I grew up in Springfield and remember Johnny Morris selling bait from the brown derby liquor store. I believe it is all about making money. If you piss a few people off along the way, but can make up the cash somewhere else.. So be it, pretty much like any other business.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
One week this past May I ordered 5 flats delivered to NJ. The next week, now in June, I called to order additional ammo. Nope...not able to ship to NJ. I made a fuss and I spoke to several people at Cabelas/Bass Pro as there are no NJ state regulations disallowing ammo shipments. Why was it ok one week and not the next? I was finally told that Bass Pro never filed the paperwork necessary to ship to certain states and it was now in effect. That is annoying but makes sense as I can still get ammo delivered from places like Academy.

·
Registered
32,249 Posts
I do understand where I live believe me. Unfortunately I understand. But there are many other companies that are still shipping ammo to my home in NJ, Sportsman Guide, as I just placed a order. So I will make a effort to support the ones that still ship to NJ and avoid and cut up the master card from others that don't (Cabela's) I have held the Cabela's card for well over 2 years, first the Visa and now Mastercard. NO LONGER. Im sure they could care less about my black credit card. But I will feel better inside.
I understand. There are two different issues here. One is the different restrictions sone States are putting on buying ammo on line, and or purchased by another State. The other is Cabela‘s almost went broke because of their business model and was taken over by Bass Pro who operates a an entirely different business model. Some businesses put customer satisfaction first, others put survival first, others find a happy medium. I can remember a few decades ago there was no internet, there was no out of state purchases of ammo unless a telephone was used or a written order submitted by US Mail.

Competition is want makes and breaks companies. New tech and laws add to or subtract from success of the business models used by different companies. Business that were big are no longer here because of changes, customer demands and new entries into limited market sizes. Gone is Sear and KMart who merged and still failed.

FYI, I have had a Cabela’s card for over 8 years. I no longer use that card, because after Cabela’s was taken over and Capital One took over the credit cards, my black card was declined on 3 different occasions for suspected fraud, even though It was me using the card. I still shop at Cabela’s, but not as much and no longer use their card when I do.

Good things do not last. Just a fact of life. Cabela’s business model failed because it did not prove profitable.

·
Registered
14,103 Posts
Cabela's refused to even do site-to-store for pickup of ammo in NY for the past 7 years, even though there is NOTHING that would have legally prevented it.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Let's face it , Cabela's Started going down the tubes when they sold the company to Bass Pro. The fishing boys had no concept of what Cabela's over all sales base was . To make matters worse they brought in a bunch of company yuppie puppy ,business degree , clueless ,bean counters to run the transition, most of which wouldn't know a box of shotgun shells from a bag of fishing lures ! --I remember when Herters was sold to a tool company. The tool company bobble heads fired all the old Duck Hunters and Sportsmen and put their tool boys in charge. Problem was "Tim the tool Man" may have been great at selling power tools and tool boxes but, didn't have the first CLUE about ANYTHING sporting goods related ! They quickly ran the company into the ground and sold off the assets ! Today that once great company now exist only as a trade mark that the holding company sells to companies to stamp on their stuff ! I wonder if Cabela's might be headed down the same path ??! :sick:

·
Registered
335 Posts
I live less than two miles from a Cabela’s and refuse to shop there. The never have anything that I am looking for and if they do it is so over price that they can keep it. I thought that when they first went in that it would be great and I wouldn’t have to drive all over the country looking for what I needed was over . Boy was I wrong. The first time I went there they had nothing that I was looking for. I asked a salesman if they were going to stock any reloading equipment or shotgun shells and he told me that the management said there was no demand for those items at this location. It’s sad to say that Walmart has a better selection.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Chinese products at BPS and Cabela's do not excite me at the prices they charge. Both were my destination stores at one time, no longer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts