Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am under the impression that when you relinquish your C&R, you are free to keep your "bound book", or destroy it, whatever you choose.

Only non-C&R FFL holders need to submit their records and 4473s to the ATF when they close.

Who/what is informing you otherwise?

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rick- That was for a 03 C&R (Collectors of Curios and Relics) FFL?

I'm guessing not, since there are no "completed forms" for 03 holders.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"(G8) Are licensed collectors required to turn in their acquisition/disposition records to ATF if their collector’s license is not renewed or they discontinue their collecting activity? [Back]

No. The GCA requires the delivery of required records to the Government within 30 days after a firearms “business” is discontinued. A license as a collector of curios or relics does not authorize any business with respect to firearms. Therefore, the records required to be kept by licensed collectors under the law and regulations are not business records and are not required to be turned in to ATF when collectors' licenses are not renewed or collecting activity under such licenses is discontinued.

[18 U.S.C. 923(g)(4), 27 CFR 478.127]"

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A C&R is NOT a license to conduct business, its a license to collect.

Sounds like you had a 01 FFL, which is TOTALLY different.

Once you relinquish your 03 license, you can destroy whatever records you had. They do not get sent to or reported to ANYONE.

The only time the ATF would have a record of your purchases or sales on a 03 FFL would be if A. You were audited and they copied your records then (unlikely), or B. They searched through the records of EVERY SINGLE firearms dealer in the United States (extremely unlikely).

Yes, they MAY be able to trace a single gun back to you, by going from the manufacturer, to the dealer, ect. But once a gun changes hands a couple times, it would be logistically impossible. And very impossible for a lot of military surplus guns.

C&R= Almost all guns older than 50 years (relic) and some newer than 50 years which have a collectable interest (curio). The changes of tracking down any gun older than 50 years are pretty much nil.

·
Registered
13,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe JONO is referring to the requirements of a 01 FFL, and asking if they are the requirements for a 03 ffl, which they are not, as evidenced by the material I quoted.

If you want to surrender your 03 FFL, you can do so by phone, fax, email, or physical mail. Ask for written verification if possible, that way you have proof you surrendered it if anyone ever comes asking.

Or if you're close to the expiration date, just let it expire and do nothing else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts