Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
It really depends on where you live and how much traveling you do. I would love to try before I buy, but that means leaving the state and going to a major shoot. Mostly I just try to buy at a good price so I have room to sell later if necessary.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Which one.... is there a place to try them out or just pick on you like the looks of....
Fit is everything is a shotgun. If big money is spent on a gun that doesn't fit, you may recoup some of what you've spent, but as soon as you pay for it, pick it up and shoot it, it's a used gun. Some vendors will offer a day when a variety of shotguns are available to be shot, but those opportunities seem to fewer and farther in between. If you have some friends whose guns are of interest, you might ask if they'll allow you to give them a try. It also helps to work with a vendor who understands "fit" and can give you some idea about what might seem to be close to what you might require. Spend time researching, asking questions and looking at a lot of possibilities before making the decision to purchase. You will lessen the chances of having regrets.

·
Registered
686 Posts
So Not knowing - why is a Kolar Max Trap T/A High Profile Combo cost so much?
A Kolar is a premium shotgun that is handcrafted, offering multiple stock and engraving options. From my perspective, if you are just at the start of getting into the clay target sports, I'd wait before laying out that kind of money. There are a lot of functional target shotguns; that is, reliable as well as mechanically and aesthetically sound that are available at a much lesser price. There isn't anything at all wrong with a Kolar, but given what you have to put down to make that purchase, it's best if you have some experience in understanding what you need and really like before doing that.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A Kolar is a premium shotgun that is handcrafted, offering multiple stock and engraving options. From my perspective, if you are just at the start of getting into the clay target sports, I'd wait before laying out that kind of money. There are a lot of functional target shotguns; that is, reliable as well as mechanically and aesthetically sound that are available at a much lesser price. There isn't anything at all wrong with a Kolar, but given what you have to put down to make that purchase, it's best if you have some experience in understanding what you need and really like before doing that.
@greisdor
This is really good advice!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Newbie here... but.... If you would add your general location to your profile, you might find someone willing to let you try their gun. This seems to be a pretty friendly bunch.

I frequent some fishing/boating clubs and most guys are willing to give a new fellow a quick ride in their boat. Try it before you buy it ....works best, as you already know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like high end guns - but I need to find one that has stocks that fit bigger people. The one I have needs to be 2.5 inches lower at the heel.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I like high end guns - but I need to find one that has stocks that fit bigger people. The one I have needs to be 2.5 inches lower at the heel.
I have the same problem with LOP due to the length of my arms. Nonetheless, there probably is a stock-fitter in your region who can give you help with that in terms of giving you the stock adjustment(s) you need without having to pay money above and beyond what is realistic for someone just starting to get into trap or any of the other clay target games. If you ask a couple of veteran shooters at your local club, I'll bet they can steer you in the right direction insofar as your getting the help you need with stock adjustments. I live in southern MN, and we have a guy, Tom Larkin, who is fair and square in every respect and would give you what you need for fit at a very reasonable price: thestockshop.net/contact.html I am thinking there are others in other parts of the country who could do the same for you.

If you were to go with a higher end gun, such as a Kolar, they will fit the gun for you, but I think you would have to make the trip. Likewise, if you were, for example, to get a Caesar Guerini, they will also make stock adjustments to meet your needs, for a price, of course.

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Any shotgun can be made to fit you with a Adjustable Comb and butt-plate. This will increase your cost of your shotgun about $250 for each item. So about $500 total for both. I do suggest you try a Browning shotgun and a Beretta shotgun and see which one fits you the best. You may only need one, or the other item this way? You should be able to do this at your club. Just ask the owner of a shotgun you would like to try, to borrow it for a round and tell him why!!! Do use new store bought ammo when you shoot someone else's gun. Do offer to buy the owner of said shotgun Lunch, or at least a Hot Dog &/or cold/hot drink for his/her trouble. You may even make a good friend by doing so. Most makes of shotguns fit like "One of these two Guns"!!! Once you know this answer it will reduce the guns you need to look at in half. Enjoy your Journey into the Clay Target Sports. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I like high end guns - but I need to find one that has stocks that fit bigger people.
The one I have needs to be 2.5 inches lower at the heel.
"2.5 inches lower"?? Perhaps you should consider a professional fitting? Let's say you have a relatively high stocked shotgun with DAH of 1.5 inches, your suggesting a DAH of 4+ inches? Highly unlikely.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You should be able to do this at your club. Just ask the owner of shotgun you would like to try to borrow it for a round and tell him why!!! Do use new store bought ammo when you shoot someone else's gun. Do offer to buy the owner of said shotgun Lunch, or at least a Hot Dog and cold drink for his/her trouble. You may even make a good friend by doing so. Some makes of shotguns fit most like "One of these two Guns"!!! Once you know this answer it will reduce the guns you need to look at in half. Enjoy your Journey into the Clay Target Sports. break em all Jeff
Yes, be courteous and you will be surprised how many people will let you test their guns out....sometimes it's more of a "Hey! you should try this for a couple shots" without even asking when you get to know people.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Newbie here... but.... If you would add your general location to your profile, you might find someone willing to let you try their gun.
I would, as long as they asked nicely and I had the time. I've never turned down anyone who wanted to try and shoot one of my guns.

The only thing I insist on is you must shoot factory ammo.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Will it be a trap only gun ? Or a hunting gun that also shoots trap? If you like an auto loader for hunting the benelli is nice

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"2.5 inches lower"?? Perhaps you should consider a professional fitting? Let's say you have a relatively high stocked shotgun with DAH of 1.5 inches, your suggesting a DAH of 4+ inches? Highly unlikely.
sorry used wrong terminology - should have indicated toe -

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most any sporting clays range will have rentals, some of the higher end $$$ ranges have really nice rentals. It can get expensive doing research in the short term, but once you find a gun that fits well, you hit with, and since it fits you'll usually feel less recoil, it will all be worthwhile. The trap ranges in my area are smaller affairs so no rentals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts