Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's an excess of "this vs that" and "what should I buy" threads, but I'm going to add another. I've been casually shopping for a new trap gun for a very long time and I think this is the week that I finally make that purchase. I spent quite a bit of time demoing a pre-owned Kolar Low Profile Trap combo and a pre-owned Zoli trap combo this past weekend. I shot two rounds of singles with each gun and the results were similar (48/50 with the Kolar and 47/50 with the Zoli). I shot some doubles too, but we'll just skip over those scores.

They both feel excellent to me. The Zoli is a year older, but has far fewer rounds fired through it. The Kolar has much nicer wood than the Zoli (in my opinion), and has a little bit more of the "bank vault" feel to it, but it would cost me nearly $2k more than the Zoli. Which would you buy and why?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Each one is a stellar option. Have to weigh the pros and cons of each after shooting them. Biggest thing is what one feels best in your hands and what one feels best when shouldered

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I looked at Kolar several years ago, and talked with the factory who were very nice and did not rush me. At the same time, I was able to get a DT-11 for a great deal, have been shooting it for 6 years now and am done looking. In your choice I think you would have an investment in the Kolar and if it needed service, send it directly to the factory.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would go with the kolar it will last you for a lifetime. I had one for about 7yrs and went back to a perazzi mx10 for the adjustible rib.Larry

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Sounds to me that your still not sure which gun you want. I think another trip to the range is in order. Or at least you need to shoulder both shotguns several more times. Do this with your eye's closed. Then when the gun feels right. Open your eye's. Buy the shotgun that comes up with the beads aligned perfectly the most times out of 10 gun mounts. Or at least feels the best if they both come up correctly, every time. It matters not which shotgun I think you should buy. Of course I have no idea what your finances are. This seems to always be the biggest factor with most shooters. Both shotguns will serve you well, and last a lifetime. break em all Jeff

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,763 Posts
Push yourself a little bit and buy the best quality you can, especially in a Trap fun. Buy a gun that’s infinitely re-buildable and backed by outstanding service and easy dealer access. My Ljutic Pro-3 and K-80 fall into those definitions, and I know Perazzi and Kolar do also. If Zoli fits the definition, then go with the your gut feeling..... it’s never wrong. In the end, it’s you that needs to choose.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,245 Posts
I know there's an excess of "this vs that" and "what should I buy" threads, but I'm going to add another. I've been casually shopping for a new trap gun for a very long time and I think this is the week that I finally make that purchase. I spent quite a bit of time demoing a pre-owned Kolar Low Profile Trap combo and a pre-owned Zoli trap combo this past weekend. I shot two rounds of singles with each gun and the results were similar (48/50 with the Kolar and 47/50 with the Zoli). I shot some doubles too, but we'll just skip over those scores.

They both feel excellent to me. The Zoli is a year older, but has far fewer rounds fired through it. The Kolar has much nicer wood than the Zoli (in my opinion), and has a little bit more of the "bank vault" feel to it, but it would cost me nearly $2k more than the Zoli. Which would you buy and why?
How was the swing to the target? The experience of firing it? Don’t focus on the scores. They’re both fine. When I bought my perazzi, I kept thinking about how it swung to the target over others, didn’t hit me in the face, and just felt right.

If you couldn’t shoot either again, which would you miss more? The extra $2k isn’t insignificant, but it’s a drop in the bucket for the right one.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
I smoked 25 straight when I demoed a Z trap. I was convinced it was what I needed but the two demo's simply weren't enough for me to know how we'd move together under stress, fatigue and other factors. Less than 1500 targets later I sold it. It has nothing to do with the name on the gun but everything to do with how you two get along together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I shoot a Kolar Max T/A. I purchased it in February at the Spring Grand in Tucson. When demoing it I ran 25 straight on the practice range an had 3 25’s in the Saturday 200 target Singles event. (191 total). I thought the gun was magical. As soon as I got home my scores significantly declined as the honeymoon period wore off. Only in the last three weeks have my scores returned to normal. I love my new Kolar and do not regret the very high price I paid to get a new one. Just be prepared to be patient if your scores decline after purchasing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Sounds to me that your still not sure which gun you want. I think another trip to the range is in order. Or at least you need to shoulder both shotguns several more times. Do this with your eye's closed. Then when the gun feels right. Open your eye's. Buy the shotgun that comes up with the beads aligned perfectly the most times out of 10 gun mounts. Or at least feels the best if they both come up correctly, every time. It matters not which shotgun I think you should buy. Of course I have no idea what your finances are. This seems to always be the biggest factor with most shooters. Both shotguns will serve you well, and last a lifetime. break em all Jeff
That's all good....but even mounting a gun that isn't truly fit to him isn't doing much.

Pic the one you really want to own, then have it cut for proper LOP, Pitch, etc. Adjustable butt plate for proper drop at heel and toe out, etc.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
Pic the one you really want to own, then have it cut for proper LOP, Pitch, etc. Adjustable butt plate for proper drop at heel and toe out, etc.
Granted you can do all these things to get your gun to fit you better. But, If your eye is too high from the start? Your Fxxt'ed. Its best to start with a gun stock that fits you better from the get go!!! Then fine tune it. break em all Jeff

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
Granted you can do all these things to get your gun to fit you better. But, If your eye is too high from the start? Your Fxxt'ed. Its best to start with a gun stock that fits you better from the get go!!! Then fine tune it. break em all Jeff
If resale concern's you, buy the Kohler.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Sure, but....

If I had the choice of a tristar that fit like a glove, or a Kolar that didn't fit much at all, I'd buy the Kolar!

That's why I say, get the gun you truly want, it can be made to fit. In his choices, they were both fitting pretty decently.....so it's a toss up fit wise.

I'd go with the Kolar.....but then, I've been shooting one for 9 years.

·
Registered
11,142 Posts
If resale concern's you, buy the Kohler.
You want him to buy a Toilet!!! Why mention this on a Trap shooting website?

Now if your referring to a Kolar Shotgun, well that's another story!!! Kolar shotguns do not have the best resale value. IMO the Zoli may hold its value better than the Kolar. Of course we are still comparing a top dollar shotgun, to a mid level shotgun. The OP here can still buy the Zoli and then go out and buy a brand new Browning for the same price here. Or spend his 2 grand somewhere else entirely? Best Of Luck on your shotgun Journey. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Scrivener - I think you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Sometimes one must ask "why does this gun cost so much more than the other gun ?? " Zoli is not in the same class as a Kolar.

Reactions: Gussers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unless the price on the Zoli is a steal, I would lean towards the Kolar. I’m a huge Zoli fan and have nothing negative to say aside from that they have a weak resale in the US market. If you liked them both and couldn’t find anything negative about either, invest your money into a Kolar. Worst case, if you decide the two of you simply cannot coexist, the divorce won’t break you in half. Us shooters are unfaithful anyways, we become tend to turn unfaithful with our loved gun the second things get bumpy. I hope whatever you guy puts a huge smile on your face, I’m acquiring a new toy this week myself!

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
8,040 Posts
Scrivener - I think you are trying to compare apples to oranges. Sometimes one must ask "why does this gun cost so much more than the other gun ?? " Zoli is not in the same class as a Kolar.
I’d put em head to head, round for round anytime but don’t listen to me, my averages suck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts