Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Shouldn't trap shooters buy their loaded ammunition and their loading components at their local trap range or when traveling far to a tournament at the range holding the tournament ?

Are there any downsides to that ?

Sometimes your local range doesn't have the ammo or components and you're forced to buy elsewhere, but elsewhere could also be another trap range where you're visiting.

Find out when the local club makes their annual ammunition orders, and add your order to theirs to improve their buying power.

During the recent shortages, some ranges have not had ammo or components so other buying options have been forced on trap shooters.

But shouldn't buying at the local range be part of supporting the sport ?

Sort of like buying Girl Scout cookies or giving to the local charities -- part of the social fabric.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
No clubs that I'm aware of within a 3 hour drive of me sell components.

Those that sell shells are typically 20-30% higher than they can be purchased elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
When available, I buy cases of powder, wads and primers from a guy at my home club. Shot also. If not available, I go elsewhere. That being said, I always buy at least one jug of powder, some shot and all the oil and cleaning supplies I'll need for the year from vendors at my State shoot. I also fill in on wads if needed. I do that to support the vendors who show up.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I am sure that if I were to go on-line I could find cheaper ammo and components at places other than my local range, but the extra few percent that I pay at the local range help support keeping it in operation.

And the discount warehouse is not going to open a trap range if my local one closes.

I do buy ammo and components from places other than trap ranges because I shoot rifle and pistol and no local rifle or pistol range sells any ammo or components.

Our local range only sells #7½ and #8 size shot so I buy other shot sizes at stores and internet sites.

And I recognize many internet sites really do a good job supporting the trap game and they should be supported over those that don't give a hoot about us.

And when at tournaments, my wife will tell you that I spend more money with the on-site vendors than I do on the whole rest of the tournament including travel expense. It supports the sport and it gives me a different shooting vest or shotshell pouch for every event. And I can find no other excuse for screw-in chokes other than supporting more people in the trap shooting industry.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The range I frequent does not sell components for reloading and their shell prices are at least $ 15 a flat higher than everywhere else. If the shells prices were closer to other business prices I would gladly purchase from the range.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
I think wingmaster nailed the major part. Most shell and component prices at the local clubs I frequent are so far out of the competitive price market, it is simply not feasible to buy from them. If I bought all my shells and components from them, the club may stay open but I'd have to quit shooting as I'd be broke. I have to buy at prices that allow me to shoot more.

·
5,245 Posts
We price our targets to be profitable, shells are priced to be nominally profitably... We only sell components and accessories to members at member-only pricing... want a deal - join... otherwise anyone is welcome to shoot...

j.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fulton County Gun Club and Wallace Traps both sell shells and components. Their prices are as low as you will find anywhere. During the powder shortage they did not raise their prices. Hats off to Don Barker and Charlie Bryant, the owners of these clubs. Craig

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
The two clubs that i'm a life member have an annual component sale that is at club price or very little over. The sales might be different with some shortages going on.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

At the Pocatello Trap Club we sell #7½ and #8 size shot to members for $22 per 25 pound bag. This not reclaimed shot in the conventional sense. The lead is mined from our range and then completely re-processed, re-dropped by a major shot maker. Indistinguishable from new shot.

Know that a lot of non-trap shooters join the club just to get a good deal on other loading components.

Almost like joining Sam's Club or Costco and paying the $30 annual membership in order to get the routine regular deal on stuff.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I think my home club sells components at 5% over cost. I could be wrong on this, but I know they don't try to gouge anyone.

The only difference in prices is............We charge a little bit more for shooters who don't belong to our club.

And since our dues are only $20.00 a year, it behooves them to join. But a lot of them do not.

Hauxfan!

·
Premium Member
18,854 Posts
At our club, Amarillo Gun Club, we keep some shells around mainly for shooter who ran out, or for their ammo, or what ever. Cost of inventory for us, is very high. At the big shoots and our state shoot, we bring quite bit iof shells, but don't keep it year round. Charlie

1 - 12 of 12 Posts