Trapshooters Forum banner

butler shotgun owners

3080 Views 15 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Harv Shell
New to site, looking for info from someone who actually shoots a Butler shotgun. Either XX-12 or LF1.Do to shoulder problems I need something really soft. I now shoot a a400 multi-target and a Fab Arm XLR-5. So the big question, is there enough difference in re-coil to justify the price. Maybe my last hope to continue shooting trap. Thankyou for any advise.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
I picked up a butler because of hand pain after shooting 300 round days with an O/U.

I've had it a few months and never feel a recoil.

I shoot 1 1/8 1200-1300 fps factory or reloads. Some 1oz depending on whats for sale.

Low barrel, no 1st shot muzzle jump.

To be fair, I don't have experience with those other guns.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

· Registered
275 Posts
I picked up a butler because of hand pain after shooting 300 round days with an O/U.

I've had it a few months and never feel a recoil.

I shoot 1 1/8 1200-1300 fps factory or reloads. Some 1oz depending on whats for sale.

Low barrel, no 1st shot muzzle jump.

To be fair, I don't have experience with those other guns.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Nice looking setup for doubles!!!!!

· Registered
15,172 Posts
They now offer a 26" barrel for those who prefer a quicker/shorter barrel. Equiv of a 30" OU in length. I would think the 26" would be great on doubles, skeet, sporting, or youth set up. They also offer a high POI (120%+) rib.

· Registered
90 Posts
I have an aluminum 26" XX 12, a 30" steel XX 12 and a 30" steel LF1 with a fixed choke. Very little felt reoil on any of the 3. I use the 26" for doubles, skeet and sporting clays. The LF1 for trap singles and handicap. The 26" weighs 9 lbs. 3 oz.., 30"steel is 10 lbs. 12ozs. and the LF1 is 10 lbs. 3 oz. If you're concerned about weight, go for the aluminum receiver or the LF1. Call Jason at Butler USA for the various options, including the Cerakote color you want..

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their response. I have not tried a stock lock, but have shot a PFS and Simms both set up for me by a pro. So I've tried a lot, just have not found the answer yet.

· Registered
90 Posts
I've had 2 problems with ejection/shell catcher. The first was sometimes the first shell won't clear the receiver, blocking the bolt for the second shot. Only happened with the shell catcher installed. Fix was to modify the ejector by making it angled vice vertical, decreasing the amount of energy transferred to the ejected hull and giving it more room and time to eject. Second problem is breakage of the shell catcher at the rear attachment ears. Problem is caused by the front of the trigger guard being in contact with the shell catcher. Not all guns have this problem. Filing rear of shell catcher to create clearance (1/16") fixes the problem. If shell catcher plastic ears do break (I've had 2), you can fix with a little filing and some metal L brackets to to replace the ears. Jason is working a updated shell catcher with metal ears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.