Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
4,841 Posts
PW bushings are steel & marked alphabetically as opposed to the interchangeable Hornady / Spolar bushings which are aluminium & numbered. They dont look like anything from the MEC universe so ya got me.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
How about some OLD Herter's press?
Yes, Herter's did make:
"The absolute best, can not be beaten by anyone at any price, designed with the latest technology by George Herter himself, for the shooter who wants the best, most accurate, precision engineered and made with the absolute highest of precision engineering standards and material for the shooter who wants the world's best performing, finest, efficient and fastest reloader in the world!"

If you were not around shooting in the 1950's and 60's you missed some of the most entertaining use of superlative adjectives ever used in writing catalog advertisements. Don't know if these bushings were actually Herters but I could not resist advertising them in the style of George Herter.

· Registered
7,243 Posts
I wish I still had a Herter's catalog. One of the 60's ones with the color printed section for custom rifle stocks. Those were amazing reading for any 13 year old boy back then. Many kids these days have never even experienced the Sears catalog. I still find some Herter's equipment around, it really was not bad stuff, but if anything is missing, you will seldom find the part you need.

· Registered
2,399 Posts
Leo..your kids have never seen a Herters Catalog--heck man--I'll bet they have never seen a TELEPHONE BOOK!
With peoples names, phone numbers and addresses!!!! My grandkids haven't and were amazed when their grandmother (My Dear Darlin' Wife) brought it up.
I loved the Herters catalogs too. Old George invented water and sunshine I guess. And the Dixie catalog was a hoot to. I remember seeing a photo of a dead rattlesnake and the caption said "We just thought you might like to see this"
Man, we are getting OLD!
Jim

· Registered
3,963 Posts
The Hunt is Over!!

Found the "Mystery Bushing".

No, it is not a Herter's BUT it is a Lyman press bushing.

Click on the picture to get the full instruction book for the Lyman press. It is a VERY OLD bushing. If you check you will see Alcan powders listed among the loads. Those powders went out of production somewhere around 1972 or so.

When I went looking for some more info on my old Lyman E-Z, I found this about the SL-100 which seems to be a later and more advanced model than the E-Z.

I pulled out my OLD Lyman E-Z press and knocked the dust off it since it hadn't been used in probably 40 or more years. I cleaned it up and will soon be using it as a trial machine. One thing I like about my E-Z is that when I was using it, I bought an adjustable powder bar where you can adjust the powder drop for literally only a few grains up to humongous loads. My only shot bushing is the HH which is an 1 ¼ Oz. so I will have to find a way to drop it down some.

· Registered
3,963 Posts
A little more information. The Lyman bushings and the modern Hornady bushings are the same outside diameter and height. Lyman bushings are steel while modern Hornady are aluminum but it appears that they will work interchangeably. Just for kicks I loaded a shell using the OLD Lyman E-Z and it looked just fine. It is a SLOW process when compared to the progressive Apex or 366 but it is easy to set up for different loads of powder. primer or shot weight. The last stage, (final crimp and resize) did take a bit of trial and error adjusting but once I dialed it in it did a very good job. The finished shell does kick out of the station with a bit of force so you had better be ready to catch it.

Oh and by the way, I looked thru some junk in some old boxes and actually found 6 different shot bushings from 3/4 to 1 7/8 oz. for this old timer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.