Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me why I'm getting burnt crimps? After reloading 2 or 3 times they start to get brittle as well.
Load data: Winchester AA HS hull, 15.8 grains of E3, Cheddite primer, claybuster CB0178-12 (WAA12L) wads.
I keep reloading them to the point they start to get holes/slits in the crimp area.

I like the load but I need to get better mileage on my hulls.

I just used my the last of my Clay Dot: 16.8 grains and everything thing else the same as above and did not get the same burnt crisp crimps. I was getting at least 5 -7 reloads on my AA's.

Thanks

·
Registered
23,573 Posts
Can anyone tell me why I'm getting burnt crimps? After reloading 2 or 3 times they start to get brittle as well.
Load data: Winchester AA HS hull, 15.8 grains of E3, Cheddite primer, claybuster CB0178-12 (WAA12L) wads.
I keep reloading them to the point they start to get holes/slits in the crimp area.

I like the load but I need to get better mileage on my hulls.

I just used my the last of my Clay Dot: 16.8 grains and everything thing else the same as above and did not the same burnt crisp crimps. I was getting at least 5 -7 reloads on my AA's.

Thanks
You answered your own question. E3 burns hotter to burn cleaner.

Don T

Reactions: Leo

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
I would traditionally reload Remingtons until there would be tears in the mouth that made bad crimps. I almost never saw any burns or splits down the sides. I tried American Select and was really happy with the performance and cleanliness. Right after that I noticed lots of splits and burned hulls. When I ran out of American Select, and went back to Clays, it was very rare to find another split. Some powders are harder on the hulls than others. I do not think it matters of you only reload them once or twice. I quit loading AA's when they changed to the multi piece hulls, so I cannot say if I would have had the same trouble with them.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I load gun club hulls 17.4gr red dot, Cb1118-12 wads, cheddite primers , 1 1/8 # 7 1/2 . I have no problems loading 4-5 times each . But soon I will more than likely toss them after 2nd loading , because I now have a quite few thousand once fired stacking up . I have in the past loaded AA & STS and did notice the ends burn slightly with each reload. To me Gun Clubs seem to reload longer & range pickups are plentiful
Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts