Trapshooters Forum banner

Buried Treasure

5K views 37 replies 29 participants last post by  ganger 
#1 ·
I was cleaning out the closet in my reloading/gun room because I was getting ready to paint the room. Guess what I found stashed in a storage bin?

1200 Federal 209 primers that have been buried and forgotten in there for over 20 years!

So, check your closets, attics, basements, storage bins, sofa cushions, coat pockets, etc. Never know what treasure you might find.

#7 ·
That is quite a find, 500 primed VIRGIN empties. And they are good to reload. I just got into a 20ga trove of empties that I bought when a guy moved. Have some RXP's in there. That and the next version of Rem/Peters hulls.
Let us know how they reload, I assume they have not been "pre crimped" so they are round at the top?

#15 ·
Let me tell you my story about Airline collectables . We are the second owners of a house built in 1954 .Bought from a retired couple that both worked for TWA in Kansas City Mo . He worked at the overhaul base at KCI and she in the computer dept. Downtown . When they handed over the keys just as the moving van was pulling away and ours was pulling up he asked me if I could place the pile of sacks and boxes in the garage on the curb as the next day was trash day . When we looked at the house in the basement was a store type stand with the holders for posters that you could flip through like a book full of TWA travel posters showing various TWA planes flying over various city`s around the world with the newest plane being a Constellation (Connie) .Flat on the floor under the pile was a cardboard box approx. 3" thick full of these posters that had never been out of the box . At least 100 of them . Not thinking I threw the box on the pile at the curb and the rest is history . Fast forward to about 3-4 years ago while watching Antiques Roadshow on PBS one night with the Wifey Chick low and behold a guy had several airline travel posters including a TWA one with a "Connie" flying over Paris just like I had my hands on . It alone was valued at $1,500 - $2,000 . I just about soiled my pants . Trust me if I could have gone back and relived that moment those posters would never have taken the ride on the big green truck ....

#10 ·
I must be sick or something. I spent 1/2 a lifetime as an automotive parts manager for various dealerships and now later in life I know every bullet, primer, spent brass case and loaded round in my place. It’s organized, accessible (by me) and everything is in its place. I always know what’s low and what’s deep. I remain mindful of where items are and I can tell when my son has been rummaging around in it and I invariably get a bit testy when someone moves my cheese.

But never have I lost track of a brick of primers. Ever. But that’s just me. I hope you plan to load and shoot them!

#11 ·
I too was checking my primer storage location the other day after hearing the news about the primer situation.

When I opened the door there was a box of 1000 NobleSport primers that I bought years ago and did not use because of the unfavorable reviews.

Well, guess what?

They didn't look too bad, sitting next to the 300 Winchester 209 primers I have left.

#17 ·
I keep an election worth of supplies on hand because I didn’t trust Hill Larry. Well a few club members stopping by would say “why should buy supplies when I can just get them from you.” Well I started stashing cases and jugs out of sight. I’m slowly moving my reloading room to a new location. I’ve found 2 sleeves of win 209’s tucked behind my empty hull containers. And a jug of Herco I surprisingly glad to have for my 28 ga and crow loads. Oh yeah and a 1000 small rifle primers in a file drawer. It’s almost like an Treasure hunt each time I decide to make another trip . Lol

#18 ·
I found twenty $100 bills in my fireproof document safe where I keep documents. It was under some expired passports and old grand deeds that had transferred to new trusts years ago.
I totally forgot about it.
I probably put them away because they're in uncirculated new condition with consecutive numbers, it doesn't worth a penny more than the face value, but it's cool.

#36 ·
I found twenty $100 bills in my fireproof document safe where I keep documents. It was under some expired passports and old grand deeds that had transferred to new trusts years ago.
Havent you heard..the real reason for the space inside the gun stock is for a cash stash. Actually one of the old guys at a gun show says its the first thing he checks after buying estate guns.

#20 ·
t the wife wanted to put some important papers in the safe and she found my envelope with my $1000 dollars

I'd have no problem with the wife finding the $$, but taking it with no mention is another story.

I'd sit her down, all upset and tell her someone stole the cash you had set aside for her (birthday/Christmas/Valentines Day) present. Sorry honey - you are SOL for a gift this time.

#31 ·
After a dear & close friend passed spending years collecting model 12's and duck hunting, helping the widow sell his collection. While sorting through his gun books a page marker fell out and it was the "program to Gone With the Wind" grand opening night in Atlanta in the 30's (?), it was hand done in water color, still in mint condition. I took to his window and told her it had to be very valuable and placed it into a plastic zip lock bag for safe keeping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.