Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading Shotgun Sports Jan 2014 page 59 mentions "a new Bunker Trap facility is under construction in Central Iowa?"
Anyone have more information?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I talked to a guy this morning who had heard the same thing. He thought it was near Jefferson.

I'll do a little more digging and see what I find.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
avad hunt club at **** Rapids....

First I've heard of them......Don't know about prices because you have to email for prices.

"AVAD Kennels is the home of our Epagneul Breton (French Brittany) pointing dogs"

If I remember correctly Gene7777777 is involved with French Brittanys so he might know something about the club.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Construction was just completed late last fall. There is a Yahoo groups page with more information - you can join the group if you are interested in getting email updates on shoot dates, upcoming events, etc. There is a general information sheet posted to the Yahoo page that has price structure.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iowabunkertrap

You can also email Royce direct at: [email protected]

Regards,
Ben Berka

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe Potosky thanks for the photos. Some lucky people will enjoy that range. I live approx 5+ hours from the Iowa location. I have shot the bunker trap in Eavnsville,IN and almost got to shoot one in Columbus, OH however weather cancelled the event. It was definite challenging and my scores were low however I would do it again.

·
Banned
958 Posts
What a beautiful field!

The big problem with these bunkers is that is a shortage of qualified bunker coaches to run them.

Unfortunately, you can't make money with them b/c after a starting enthusiasm, not to many keep shooting them.

Are like schools without teachers, but you have to have a bunker first and then...to find a coach.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Our bunker is the greatest revenue producer per field on the property. Its typical to have more targets thrown each month than the sum total of any two skeet or ATA Trap fields.

The key is that it must be open. A closed bunker gathers no shooters. Too many bunkers are run separate from the gun clubs and are not open when the club is open.

The lack of coaching is way overblown. Yes.... we don't have coaches like Italy but there are numerous qualified coaches that can come in and do clinics like Brett Erickson that can provide the necessary training. USAS does provide coach training that can be helpful but you don't absolutely need a qualified coach to run a bunker. We have a number of our members that know more about bunker than many of the "certified" coaches. I see that the Iowa facility is hosting a coaches clinic this year. Its not like a class room with no teacher. You can get far without a coach on a bunker but you go nowhere without a open bunker.

The key is to get the facilities built and OPEN for everyone.

Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
For those wanting to learn how to coach bunker, Iowa SCTP, Inc. is sponsoring a coaches clinic on May 16 taught by Jim Dickerson (SCTP National Coach trainer) and Steve Wirth (Lindenwood College).

Go to http://www.iowasctp.org/shotgun-coach-education/other-continuing-education for more information or to register

Ben

·
Banned
958 Posts
T Babes said:"The lack of coaching is way overblown. Yes.... we don't have coaches like Italy but there are numerous qualified coaches that can come in and do clinics like Brett Erickson that can provide the necessary training. USAS does provide coach training that can be helpful but you don't absolutely need a qualified coach to run a bunker. We have a number of our members that know more about bunker than many of the "certified" coaches"

If you are talking about the recreational bunker, you are right, there are a lot of "coaches".

When we talk about high performance that's an other story!

The lack of qualified coaches is the problem when comes to high performance!
Considering the ISSF, there is no USA shooters in the top male ranking and only
R Heiden is on the 10th place, despite that we have two places where shooting is at a professional level. USA Shooting and the Fort Benning Unit.

More than that, the USA have not won a Gold medal at Olympics since the 1976 Montreal Olympics!

If the two facilities don't have conditions to produce wold ranking bunker shooters then I don't know who has them.

So, what is missing then?

It is wonderful to hear that a new bunker was opened, but with out a true quilified coach will be a chat site for retired people.

Until they promote "coaches" like Simpson,that bring volume, but not quality coaching, the bunker shooting will stay where is it for a long period of time from now on.

Just me!

·
Registered
616 Posts
"A chat site for retired people"....you got a problem with that, d***head?

As if Olympic bunker is some altiment goal in life for all of us. There are so few people focused on shooting the olympics it would be hard to justify the cost of building one bunker. But, add recreational shooters, some old retired people to pay the way and you can keep the facility open. Nothing like adding an arrogant, self important know-it-all to close it down. Thats the ticket.

Your real promoter chip.

Maltz

·
Banned
958 Posts
Maltz you are an idiot! You don't have a clue what is bunker! Get a life and get lost!
I been in bunker shooting all my life and I know what are the problems. Nobody makes money with bunker in USA period. People who are building bunkers they don't know how deep is the water!
Beside that,is a lure for many young exceptional talents that have an Olympic dream and get lost down the road, after a lot of sacrifices, due to lack of real bunker coaches.
Their talent take them to a certain point where they collapse b/c nobody can help them out.

A lot of ignorant like you are involved in bunker shooting pretending to know everything about it. What they can tell you at most is the difference between ATA and bunker shooting.

I have all my respect for all the retirees that take up the challenge to shoot bunker, and I helped them with great pleasure when I had the opportunity.

It is not possible , considering the potential of this country, to be ranked where we are!

I just try to open some eyes and make them to understand that is not enough
to build bunkers, you need qualified BUNKER teachers to take care for the instructional side either.
Until you prove me wrong, I know it all you like it or not!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The WSRC in Sparta has plans underway to build three Bunkers this summer. In addition to a !00 meter Small Bore range. Along with a 25 meter indoor Air Gun Range This is with the intent to become a Olympic Training Center. USA Shooting will provide Training and Certification for all the Olympic Shooting Sports there. One big part of this is getting Colleges to have Shooting Sports in there activities.
With the increase in Bunkers being built around the Country, this is bound to be the next shotgun shooting sport.
Stu

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
So targetchip, by your way of thinking all the trap fields in America should be shut down because there is no professional or Olympic coach?

Do you think everyone has ideas of becoming an international bunker champion?

Is there a reason that a person can't shoot bunker for fun and enjoy the afternoon with his friends?

1 - 20 of 126 Posts