Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that most other disciplines (trap, skeet, sporting) have migrated to longer barrel lengths... have serious bunker shooter throughout the world moved to 32" (as opposed to 30") barrels?

·
Registered
632 Posts
The answer is no with some exceptions. The ideal bunker gun is 29.5" Flat ribbed choked to .25/.35 with a barrel weight of 1.55 Kg±. Years ago Mr. Perazzi asked why Americans shot longer barrels and was told about longer sighting plane, We are bigger people etc. His reply was that its interesting that we Americans handicap ourselves trying to shot better.

T

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
No barrel lengths are a fad that's always changing. There are even some 27.5" MT6 trap guns still around. 30" is probably here to stay. 32" is still around and I was told the national bunker record is held by a 32" Broadway Trap. Shoot a 32" if you want but I hated it... hey, at least you'd be 2 inches closer to the target ;)

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
I wonder about the "ideal" term above. "Common" may be more appropriate. There is no ballistic advantage to longer barrels of any kind and the whole "sighting plane" thing is so much BS as applied to shotguns. The barrel specs cited by Mr. Baber are certainly ones that work for far the majority of shooters but the "ideal" barrel spec for YOU is the length/weight/rib/etc that YOU are most comfortable with. Personally I think the whole rib thing is close to meaningless as flat rib does not equal flat shooting necessarily and I have a couple semi-high rib guns that are flat shooting for me - and with a change in comb height pretty much any gun can be made to shoot wherever you want it to. It's been a few years but I seem to remember that Mr. Bartels shot a MX2 with a high rib. I could be wrong on that.

I'm a hack shooter and I admit it right out, but I've shot as many 23/24 bunker scores with a 70cm pigeon gun as I have with a 72cm or 75cm (29.5") bunker gun. I don't own a 32" anything so I can't comment on that.

I heard some Italian comments about the American fascination with tight chokes and how that was good for everybody else since that would guarantee the occasional miss.

all JMO of course

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
A lot depends on how big the shooter is and how light (heavy) the barrels are -- size does matter. Bottom line in Bunker, ZZ's or Flyers, you need to be able to get the muzzle from rest at call to a very fast unkonwn-direction target in a very short amount of time. Simple physics tells us that shorter barrels are lighter with CoM's closer to the receiver so will move faster than heavier and/or longer-CoM barrels with a given muscle input.

Full disclosure is I don't shoot bunker, but do shoot ZZ's and Flyers, and suspect my ZZ/Flyer gun would work fine for bunker too. I am 6'-6'/250, have a 15-½" LOP, and shoot a 9#-2oz K80 with 32" (actually measure 80cm or 31.5") low-rib barrels that weigh 3-10.5 or 1.660Kg with CT's installed. I leave it choked 25/35 for both disciplines unless I'm at altitude. That said, I've shot 29-½" barrels and lightened 32" barrels (both around 3-8 or 1.590Kg) on my gun and over-swung both; in fact I needed to add 2oz of barrel weight to make them work, so I personally stick with 32's...

Bottom line, I'd reco you start with what you now have and worry about tuning it to the game once you get the hang of the game and KNOW what direction you need to go.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That's true mr. Jack. I'm a weight weenie and shoot better with lighter guns under or around 8 lbs. and 30" bbls around 1.50 kg.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
A lot is just personal preference. I shot my way to "A" class in bunker with a 30 in barrel on a 1100. The last Bunker I shot was with a 28 in. Marocchi with 1-1/2 extended choke tubes which made it 29-1/2 in. When I was stationed in Germany for 3 years Bunker was about all they had. I had a European Diamond Grade 101 with 29-1/2 in. barrels that balanced very well.

·
Banned
958 Posts
The folklore on bunker gun,s length is based on the results of the top shooters that use mostly 30 inch barrel.
That can be an advantage or disadvantage.
One of my students, Dustin, beat Todd Graves,inFort Bennng using a 32 inch Browning. Tom was witnessing the shoot.
Dustin was 14 1/2 year old.
The USA shooting experts step in and Dustin shot a 30 inch Perazzi after that and he struggled till he quit the game.
It was not only the barrel length but also the gun fit that ; kill; him slowly.
Sometimes length matters!

Bill

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bill:

Suggest you get your facts correct.

The gun issue had nothing to do with Dustin leaving the game some 8 years later. His parents could no longer support his shooting. He did not "struggle" as you say but shot his way on to a Junior World Championship team with the Perazzi . Made a trip overseas and did fairly well for his first an only trip.

I contacted Dustins Father, Kurt , who said:

"Wow, I guess he didn't realize Dustin was ranked 2nd in the nation and on the national team when he quit while he was shooting his custom fitted 30" Perazzi. Isn't it too bad people don't focus on positives. "

On another note his parents knew that for him to progress he need a new coach so they brought him to Gator and Bret Erickson and he improved greatly.

Tom

·
Banned
958 Posts
Tom, first you have to recognize that he beat Todd with that 32 inch barrel Browning.0n a single shot shoot off. With that 32 inch barrel he established the USA j3 record./300 that is in place also.

Unfortunately he was not the second for long time and he quit when he was a student at Lindenwood.

He get no coaching and was a waste of time and money to continue. I talk to Dustin about it.

I said he struggle considering his huge talents that got lost down the road till he quit the game.

Like him were a lot of youngsters that stepped down b/ they reached a plateau

On another note his parents knew that for him to progress he need a new coach so they brought him to Gator and Bret Erickson and he improved greatly.
This is not true b/c they recognized after that that Dustin learn nothing from that clinic and they kept working with me long after that.

Note, you took several clinics from Bret, and your scores are very poor considering that
you can practice how much you want

In other note you ask me to come to Gator and help to open a National shooting center that is now in Southern Ga. I think I was good enough at that time!

Tom, if you think that bunker can be learn participating in a clinic you are naïve and you don,t know nothing about the learning process.
...and you don,t know nothing about coaching b/c your only argument to promote bunker is to build more bunkers.
Since Beijing till now several bunkers were build and closed, including privates ones and we
stay home for two Olympic cycles in row.

Bill

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
It may just be me but I not seeing anything being gained by continuing the historical bickering. Not to mention that it is of no use to the OP's query.

have a day

Reactions: sparky38

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Targetchip BILL wore thin on me a long, long time ago. Tom Baber has always been a positive contributor to TS.Com, both old and new.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Bob Hawkes...... Thank you for your kind reply. I try to be precise, truthful and accurate. It is unfortunate that Bill lives in a "reality distortion field "that no amount of truth and factual data can refute. I agree with Semper Fi's comments above that we should let this matter drop.

Tom

·
Banned
958 Posts
It is unfortunate that Bill lives in a "reality distortion field
Indeed , 40 years out of an Olympic bunker gold, twenty years out of last Olympic medal, two cycles out of Olympic participation is ;a reality distortion field;.
Tom, incompetence is not an excuse , is a disaster.
...and you are part of that disaster.
Bill

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
You are quite welcome Tom. You were spot on about our bunker and double trap. Youngsters only, very little use or exposure to adults. Nice to see the youth shooting but a shame to see such a large investment so under utilized. Thank goodness it was built through donations.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
Nobody seems to realize that common, affordable, recreational bunker shooting is the key to everything. If the regular shooters don't do it then nobody sees it and that includes the kids that could be the hot ones. If all they know or see of it is a few folks they don't know shooting the funny trap now an then .................???

The kids ain't gonna make it popular - YOU are. You don't do it, neither will they

just like anything else

Reactions: mpolans

·
Registered
632 Posts
We have too many "Junior Bunkers". Where they run off the recreational shooter that can provide the bridge from generation to generation.

T

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
I hardly know much concerning bunker shooting except this; the game is designed for speed, quick reflexes and good eyesight. Under the current set of rules the way the game is played, that may leave out most of the over 50 shooters? That's not saying there aren't any that could shoot bunker at all.

I'd think clubs could or should come up with outside the box ideas that may attract all ages to play the game? It's costly just practicing the game due to target costs and equipment cost. Maybe the sport of bunker is too set in their ways of promoting anything except the younger crowds? Those with great eyesight and lightning reflexes and no money pots to be won?

HAP

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
My Browning Superposed ST-100 was initially designed for shooting Olympic trap events with it's adjustable POI feature and was successful in that discipline. They all came with 30" barrels I believe.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts