Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAd a chance to fianlly try the Bunker Trap at the Cardinal center today, a first timer for Bunker....I have renewed respect for Olympic Trap shooters!!!....I may have done better if I could have remembered to shoot twice!! Had an 18...FC

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Frank... FYI... An 18 for a first time bunker shooter is a very respectable score..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It WAS fun, wish I had the time to shoot it again....had to go home today!

Wally FYI the Pizza and cold beer were GREAT at "Coaches" (formerly brown dog sports pub) in Centerburg. WHY were you not here???

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Frank, As Dan said "not a bad score". I get to try it at Ben Avery and I've done worse than that LOL. It's much more difficult than "wobble", still fun though. I also think our trap gun is a little too high shooting for bunker but close enough for fun. Time to get the bird guns out. :) Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Seems like I missed the bus Frank!
You'll remember I wanted to stow away in your luggage Wednesday night.
Seems the only luck I've had lately is bad. hehe
Missed getting to the Ohio state shoot this year as well.
Last year the bunker trap was out of commission when we tried to get a line going. Oh well, maybe next season ............. Wally B
See you at the GLTL banquet.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I wish I could have tried more than once but the rain got a little heavy on Sat. I had to settle for a 19 with my single-shot P-gun. I'm going to try again with my doubles gun. More fun than wobble.

Rich (always happy to try something new) in Indiana

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Definitely try it again with the O/U. I managed a 21 my first time but I needed 14 second shots to get that score. It's pretty amazing how 7/8 oz. at 1350fps will reach out and break that second target. I used my trap doubles gun choked .020/.033. I think a tighter choke for the first shot, with the 7/8 oz. load, would have been a better combination JRM

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would love to try bunker trap by the end of the year. Does anyone know if they shoot bunker trap every Saturday with the rest of their practice trap on non-event weekends?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Kyle.... Don't know when they are open but they just got a $25k grant from NSSF to promote their "underutilized Olympic Trap" amongst other items. They need to have the bunker open every time the facility is open. Suggest you challenge management to commit to having the bunker open at a set time every week and it should be open every time they have an ATA shoot to allow for ATA'ers to see what Bunker trap is all about.

Bunker is a tough game. JRM if you are using that many second barrels you are not seeing the target probably because you are not ready when you call. Remember bunker does not have the built in delay that CVR release systems have.... you say 'Pull" and the trap fires. Getting your pre-shot routine, look and hold points right are critical. Shooting bunker will help you at ATA. At ATA you can be sloppy with the gun pointing but not a bunker.

SM Snyder.... Forget your double release... They are illegal at bunker. Don't laugh but its true that both Beretta and Perazzi made statements to the ISSF Shotgun committee stating that they thought RT were too dangerous! You can use them in the US however you can't overseas. I am glad that I am not afflicted and have to use one. I have one fellow shooter that had to give up his RT because he shot bunker. He adapted ok. I suspect you will to.

Bunker is the king of the formal clay target games. The more you shoot it the more you want to. There are new bunkers being added every year. The latest are 5 bunkers complex being built at Tucson Trap and Skeet.

Tom

·
Registered
591 Posts
Bunker's fun, ain't it?! Makes me wish the ATA would through a wider, faster target, and drop the max shot charge for singles down to 7/8 oz. Will never happen though.

~Michael

·
Registered
423 Posts
ShooterIII,

Closest you can "simulate" with an ATA house is to get a box that puts your feet at the same level as the top of the house. Set it on wobble and run the angles out to 45 degrees from center on each side. Even then it won't be the same, wobble throws to many straights. Targets are all orange and moving faster, so much different sight picture. Biggest changes are the immediate release and hold/eye point in the pre-shot. You say "huh" and you bought a target. Where to set your eyes to pick up a 45 degree low left/right is also critical and I think the hardest part.

Slick 13, I'd love to see that happen. But I have to agree with the chances.

IMHO, most fun you can have with a shotgun.

Hal Hitchcock

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Shooterill.... Bunker is a completely different animal. 15 individual fixed traps. The bunker is approximately 50-60 long plus the elevation is different. ATA traps are abut 2 feet higher that a bunker trap. I don't know where you are located but i suspect there is a bunker within 500 miles or less. Where are you?

TB

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.