Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There.

searched, but didn't see anything directly matching. Saw a post about what to bring to the big / week-long shoots but not one specifically about tools.

I'm trying to put together a list of useful tools to bring to a big shoot. It would be disappointing to travel to a shoot and get knocked out because of gun malfunction for the rest of the week.

Here is what I'm thinking in terms of tools:

Small Needle Nose Pliers
Tweezer
Screwdriver (thinking the kind with philips/standard in two sizes)
Jeweler's screwdriver set
Punch set
Small hammer (for use with above)
1/4" socket set -- trying to find a set with small sockets only.
Beretta Stock tool

While I'm at it might as well list gun replacement parts:
Extra firing pins
Extra trigger
Extra springs
Extra ejector

Would appreciate your input or comments!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Might add a set of Hex Keys (Allen wrenches) in both Standard and Metric. One of your buddies may need to adjust their comb and won't have one handy.

That 1/4" Socket set with both Standard and Metric also. Ya just never know.

Little tube of gun grease, and some Rem oil.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Might go without saying, but here goes:

Make sure the screwdriver/bit set are Gunsmithing or at least hollow ground bits.

Good luck and break them all!

John

·
Registered
595 Posts
What kind of shotgun?

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,901 Posts
Hi There.

searched, but didn't see anything directly matching. Saw a post about what to bring to the big / week-long shoots but not one specifically about tools.

I'm trying to put together a list of useful tools to bring to a big shoot. It would be disappointing to travel to a shoot and get knocked out because of gun malfunction for the rest of the week.

Here is what I'm thinking in terms of tools:

Small Needle Nose Pliers
Tweezer
Screwdriver (thinking the kind with philips/standard in two sizes)
Jeweler's screwdriver set
Punch set
Small hammer (for use with above)
1/4" socket set -- trying to find a set with small sockets only.
Beretta Stock tool

While I'm at it might as well list gun replacement parts:
Extra firing pins
Extra trigger
Extra springs
Extra ejector

Would appreciate your input or comments!
Park close to your bank and have a spare gun ready to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Being prepared is always a good idea. I always bring basic replacement parts and adjustment tools. That being said, a qualified gunsmith has always been at every big shoot that I have attended. So you're not really on your own.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Your most important tool is knowledge. If you know what you are doing, you will know what you need, to get it done. Don't try and YouTube it, and fix it in a hurry. :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might add a set of Hex Keys (Allen wrenches) in both Standard and Metric. One of your buddies may need to adjust their comb and won't have one handy.

That 1/4" Socket set with both Standard and Metric also. Ya just never know.

Little tube of gun grease, and some Rem oil.
thank you, great addition!

What kind of shotgun?
Beretta DT-11

You only have five minutes to fix a gun.
I'm thinking in case I need to fix the gun between one day and the next, not during an event.

How about a gun vise , makes life a little easier when it comes to working on a gun.
hmm, makes sense, but this seems to be getting a little too big to carry around. all of the other stuff I've mentioned could probably fit into a tiny tool bag.

thanks for all of the suggestions!

·
Administrator
8,589 Posts
For years I used to carry a tool box and a tackle box type set up with shotgun parts/screws/recoil pads/front beads all that kind of stuff because I would have shooting buddies that would often need stuff.

These days I do not keep the big box around and have a spare shotgun and the necessary adjustment tools, to me my spare is the ultimately tool box because it is maintained/set up and ready to go :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tend to have a spare gun but will have the tackle box full of spare parts that tend to break and usually can fix someone's 680 series beretta if needed. Also have the full complement of gunsmithing screwdrivers for those small narrow screws.

·
Administrator
8,589 Posts
One of the things that happens if it is know that you carry a well set up selection of tools and spare parts such as washer-various recoil device screw-comb parts etc. is that you often come back to your truck or campsite with some guy you barely know and a buddy using your stuff.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts