Trapshooters Forum banner

Build date

803 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  ganger
Could one of you Browning experts tell me the year this bt99 was built? 37D20342. I went to their date page but couldn't figure it out. Seems they changed systems several times over the years. Thanks for any help.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Could one of you Browning experts tell me the year this bt99 was built? 37D20342. I went to their date page but couldn't figure it out. Seems they changed systems several times over the years. Thanks for any help.
A BT 99 will have a 171 as the model identifier in the serial if it's a post 1995 model and a D would not be in a BT 99 number. Could be one of the custom runs. Can you post a photo of it?

· Registered
614 Posts
Short answer:
Your BT-99 was made in 1973.

Long answer:
BT-99 serial number questions come up frequently. As I've posted before, the Browning website is quite incomplete about many serial numbers, and in some cases, just plain wrong . . . especially for the early BT-99 years.

Correct serial number format information for BT-99s:

• xxxD8 = 1968 (first BT-99 production year)
  • xxxD69 = 1969
  • For 1970, I can't confirm whether the format was xxxD70 or 70Dxxxx . . . there seem to be some of each out there . . . the format may have changed mid-year. Format 70Dxxx seems to be more prevalent.
Beginning in 1971, the 2-digit year-of-manufacture was moved to the front of the serial number like this:
  • 71Dxxxx = 1971
  • 72Dxxxx = 1972
But, things went a little screwy for the next 3 years:
  • Browning kept this format for the years 1973, 1974, and 1975, but Browning transposed the first two year-indicating digits . . . I don't know whether this was accidental or intentional. This lasted only for these 3 years. Formats for these 3 years were like this:
  • 37Dxxxx = 1973 [This is what you have, Ganger].
  • 47Dxxxx = 1974
  • 57Dxxxx = 1975

• Then, beginning in 1976, and continuing to the present day, Browning went to a totally different system . . . the still-used "two letter" code for year of manufacture (as mentioned by vatrap, in his response above).

· Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tech Writer Jeff, Wow. I knew someone on this site would come up with correct answer. As you say, their dating method could drive a guy to drinking. Thank you very much for your time and the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.