Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like a lot of work ! Having buffered many loads over the years, it probably costs more to do what you're doing. Timewise you can produce more shells with good shot and get the good patterns at longer distances. If you're just playing around...have fun !!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't understand that at all. I thought the purpose of buffer was to keep the shot from distorting. Reclaimed shot is already distorted. How can buffer help it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Reclaimed shot is older than new shot and has a higher lead/lower antimony content than the new shot making it heavier by volume.

Carol Lister

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Like Martin, I'd like to know how it was done also. Adding too much buffer material can raise the chamber pressures beyond belief!!

Hap

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Buffered loads lose a lot of the fluidity that lead has, leaves nowhere for it to go to. Most of my old manuals give a buffer weight in grains per charge and I adhere to that religiously. Some buffer material is better suited than a lot of common beliefs in that anything will do as buffer. Thats just not true.

Hap

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
From my data when I used to buffer loads for pot shoots the pressure usually went up at least 2,000 PSI over the listed pressure for a given reload. I only buffered size 6 and larger shot. If you are not very knowlegeable about what you are doing you are going to hurt yourself and possibly others.

My advise is to stop doing it. I would also advise a talk with Tom Roster the guru in reloading buffered shells, last ph. # I had for him was 541-884-2974. He even puts out a book on buffered loads. I know he will tell you what I have, get some guidance before you get hurt !!

Tom Strunk

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
"Don't understand that at all. I thought the purpose of buffer was to keep the shot from distorting. Reclaimed shot is already distorted. How can buffer help it." Joe Griff makes an interesting observation.

If the purpose of buffering is to keep the shot from distorting, and the shot is starting out distorted, how could buffering help? It is my contention that the benefit from buffering does not come primarily from reduced shot distortion. With hard round shot and modern plastic wads, I doubt that there is much distortion that buffering changes. Sure would be interesting to find out. But I have believed for some time that the primary benefit of buffering is that it stabilises the shot after it has passed the trauma of leaving the choke, gas slug, and wad, and gets it started down range straight and stabilised.

·
Registered
572 Posts
This is what I go by and it is just advice,only take it as such. I do not have a pressure gun nor have I had my loads pressure tested. A good rule of thumb,don't buffer any load that is already over 9000psi. Keep the pressure down,use buffer and the pattern "is" better at long yardage. My load starts well below 9000psi and then I use buffer,17grs for a 1 3/8 load.

Tom Roster is one good source.

Buffer sold as most shooters know, is very expensive. I did a lot of research on what companies sold years ago and bought it at $1 a pound. Plastic for injection molding is too big but plastic for centrifugal molding works for me......
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Buffer type can't make quite a difference in pressures. By type I mean the way it is cut. I got some from one company that made what seemed a extreme difference by what velocity increase it generated. The least effect I have found with respect to altering the velocity of a load is Ballistic Products Original.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.