Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 22LR pistol. Can't decide between the Browning or the Ruger (both with 5.5" bull barrels). Any recommendations? Thanks! john

·
Banned
5,706 Posts
I like the older Browning BuckMark Target 7.5 inch Bbl if memory serves me right, I beat rifle shooters with that pistol rifle and pistol both with open sights.

This is the most accurate 22lr pistol I ever shot. You don't see them used.

Gary Bryant
DR.longshot

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a Challenger III, (the Buck Mark before the Buck Mark). It really doesn't like to cycle anything other than round nose bullets. The feed ramp will kick stepped nose bullets high. Other than that, it is the most accurate pistol I own. It points like an extension of my arm. Mine is not for sale.

Good Luck,

Todd

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I'll get it in before Brian. Get the Buckmark, it is very accurate. It also handles a suppressor very well. It really is a great pistol. Jackie B.

·
Registered
14,988 Posts
Funny you asked. Ruger has a pre-threaded, model!!!

I like the Browning Buckmark better. Grips and takedown is easier. You'll curse the Mark III till you learn how to tweak the re-assembly.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The older Ruger Government came with a test target showing one hole from the 25 yards. Might be something to consider. I have one of them and found it more accurate and easier to shoot with regular ammo than my S&W 41 which I no longer have, FWIW. JM

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
Ruger Mk II all the way. Ruger has gone down the same path all the other firearm makers have. New stuff cheaper made, cost more and not as good as their older models.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
As much as I like the Buckmark, one caveat.... Do not dry fire it unless you use dummy rounds. If you plan to dry fire a lot the Ruger is better for that.

As for the Ruger, I would not get a Mark III. They have a fugly loaded chamber indicator and the trigger pull is inferior compared to the Mk II and even Mk I.

The Ruger I like is the Mk II Government Model. I would look for a used one long before buying a Mk III. The only reason to get a Mk III is if you absolutely have to have the version that takes 1911 grip panels.

As mentioned above, yes, I do have a Buckmark. It's a 5.5" Field model. And as Buzzgun notes, yes, I did have it threaded and use it with a suppressor. It's been very reliable, and cycles everything from subsonics to hyper-sonics. My son also has a Buckmark Threaded Camper model. Identical to the standard Camper, except it came factory threaded. Both are very accurate, taking a back seat only to my S&W Model 41.

View attachment 201970

My Buckmark 5.5" Field, prior to conversion, just for Buzzgun.

View attachment 201971

My son's Buckmark Threaded Camper.

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
Oh, and BTW, while Browning installs an adjustable over-travel stop on their target triggers and installs a target trigger spring, you can get these parts cheap at Midwest Gun Works:

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/C-025

If you take your Buckmark apart for cleaning on a regular basis, it's not a bad idea to get spares of some of the small parts. I plan to make a small spares kit for my range box. Be aware that when you remove the RH grip panel that small parts will fall out.

In addition to Midwest Gun Works, Brownells and Midway also carry Buckmark parts. A lot of guys are customizing their Buckmarks by replacing some black parts with nickeled parts, like slide release, mag release and safety, etc.

In addition, a little known trick is to flip the existing spring over for a lighter trigger pull. This is called the Heggis Flip. You can google for it if you're interested.

One last thing... Buckmarks have THREE different frames. The standard frame as shown in the photos in the previous post. The UDX models have a slimmed down grip frame that is scalloped with shallow finger grooves. The URX models also have a narrow grip frame, but they have a wrap around rubber grip with finger grooves. Make sure which one you want after trying them, because the grips DO NOT interchange. I prefer the standard since most finger grooves do not fit me, and almost all aftermarket grips are for the standard frame.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why not one of each. Shoot them both and decide which is the best shooter and sell the other one!

Cheers,

George

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I prefer a Mark II KMK-512 (Stainless Steel) with a Clark trigger. As with another contributor, the Model 41 is preferred; second is the Ruger. BT100dc

·
Registered
25,284 Posts
What John posts is true. You can remove two screws and have the Buckmark barrel with its sights off the frame, so as to clean it from the breech end. This also allows removal of the slide.

·
Molon Labe
12,004 Posts
I like my Buckmarks, but one thing I will add, is if you are out shooting and you decide to do some minor cleaning kind of be fragile with the extractor

One time I had my damn big fingers in there trying to get a piece of dirt out, and pulled the extractor a little hard and it all fell out, the amazing part was I caught all the pieces

The pi$$er part was when i was putting it back together the wind blew the spring off my shooting bench

We searched for an hour for it even with a magnet, but not to worry Brownells sells them for about $2 each plus $6 postage, so I got two of them so if it ever happens again I won't be about to find the spare

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
What collins said. A mark III with sear and trigger work will shoot right up with the 41 and waaay better than the buckfart...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.